SATA and IDE on an A8V?

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
May 18, 2005 6:45:24 PM

O.K. I guess I do have another dumb question.

I built my ASUS A8V Deluxe system using a SATA 200MB hard drive.
I loaded XP (service Pack 2) on it (adding the VIA SATA drivers during
installation)
The BIOS sees it and even allows me to make it the primary boot device
It was starting fine and ran fine.

I wanted to add another disk, a 250MB IDE drive to the system. The BIOS sees
that IDE drive and no longer lists the SATA drive as a possible alternative.
Obviously, it won't boot with the IDE data disk.

I've got the latest BIOS(1011). Is there some way I can co-mingle SATA and
IDE and use the SATA as the primary boot disk?

Thanks

DonW

More about : sata ide a8v

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 18, 2005 8:04:18 PM

My problem was that I kept trying to diagnose the problem with the IDE disk
disconnected.
Thanks to an earlier e-mail I went into the bios when both disks were
installed and found the tab for hard disk priority that only shows up when
there's more than one hard disk.

solved my own problem ( with a little help form an earlier post)

DonW

"Donald Wilkinson" <donw@fyi.net> wrote in message
> O.K. I guess I do have another dumb question.
>
> I built my ASUS A8V Deluxe system using a SATA 200MB hard drive.
> I loaded XP (service Pack 2) on it (adding the VIA SATA drivers during
> installation)
> The BIOS sees it and even allows me to make it the primary boot device
> It was starting fine and ran fine.
>
> I wanted to add another disk, a 250MB IDE drive to the system. The BIOS
> sees that IDE drive and no longer lists the SATA drive as a possible
> alternative. Obviously, it won't boot with the IDE data disk.
>
> I've got the latest BIOS(1011). Is there some way I can co-mingle SATA and
> IDE and use the SATA as the primary boot disk?
>
> Thanks
>
> DonW

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 18, 2005 10:17:14 PM

> I built my ASUS A8V Deluxe system using a SATA 200MB hard drive.
> I wanted to add another disk, a 250MB IDE drive to the system. The BIOS
> sees that IDE drive and no longer lists the SATA drive as a possible
> alternative. Obviously, it won't boot with the IDE data disk.
> I've got the latest BIOS(1011). Is there some way I can co-mingle SATA and
> IDE and use the SATA as the primary boot disk?

Yes, you can make the boot drive the SATA one. There is
a boot option that you need to change in the BIOS. It may not
be shown in the manual so verifiy it yourself.

---
Kevin Chalker, Owner (KC COMPUTERS)
E-mail: kc@kc-computers.com Web: www.kc-computers.com
Internet dealer since 1991!!! See WWW.RESELLERRATINGS.COM!!!
!