SATA and IDE on an A8V?

O.K. I guess I do have another dumb question.

I built my ASUS A8V Deluxe system using a SATA 200MB hard drive.
I loaded XP (service Pack 2) on it (adding the VIA SATA drivers during
installation)
The BIOS sees it and even allows me to make it the primary boot device
It was starting fine and ran fine.

I wanted to add another disk, a 250MB IDE drive to the system. The BIOS sees
that IDE drive and no longer lists the SATA drive as a possible alternative.
Obviously, it won't boot with the IDE data disk.

I've got the latest BIOS(1011). Is there some way I can co-mingle SATA and
IDE and use the SATA as the primary boot disk?

Thanks

DonW
2 answers Last reply
More about sata

    My problem was that I kept trying to diagnose the problem with the IDE disk
    disconnected.
    Thanks to an earlier e-mail I went into the bios when both disks were
    installed and found the tab for hard disk priority that only shows up when
    there's more than one hard disk.

    solved my own problem ( with a little help form an earlier post)

    DonW

    "Donald Wilkinson" <donw@fyi.net> wrote in message
    > O.K. I guess I do have another dumb question.
    >
    > I built my ASUS A8V Deluxe system using a SATA 200MB hard drive.
    > I loaded XP (service Pack 2) on it (adding the VIA SATA drivers during
    > installation)
    > The BIOS sees it and even allows me to make it the primary boot device
    > It was starting fine and ran fine.
    >
    > I wanted to add another disk, a 250MB IDE drive to the system. The BIOS
    > sees that IDE drive and no longer lists the SATA drive as a possible
    > alternative. Obviously, it won't boot with the IDE data disk.
    >
    > I've got the latest BIOS(1011). Is there some way I can co-mingle SATA and
    > IDE and use the SATA as the primary boot disk?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > DonW

    > I built my ASUS A8V Deluxe system using a SATA 200MB hard drive.
    > I wanted to add another disk, a 250MB IDE drive to the system. The BIOS
    > sees that IDE drive and no longer lists the SATA drive as a possible
    > alternative. Obviously, it won't boot with the IDE data disk.
    > I've got the latest BIOS(1011). Is there some way I can co-mingle SATA and
    > IDE and use the SATA as the primary boot disk?

    Yes, you can make the boot drive the SATA one. There is
    a boot option that you need to change in the BIOS. It may not
    be shown in the manual so verifiy it yourself.

    ---
    Kevin Chalker, Owner (KC COMPUTERS)
    E-mail: kc@kc-computers.com Web: www.kc-computers.com
    Internet dealer since 1991!!! See WWW.RESELLERRATINGS.COM!!!

Asus SATA Boot BIOS Motherboards