A7N8X-E Deluxe. What's the best CPU for this board?

Anthropy

Distinguished
May 3, 2003

Hi.
I currently have an AMD XP 2600+ (133 version) on my board and it just
ain't cutting it.
I need a reliable CPU best suited to this board.
Thanks for any ideas.

You can install any AMD socket-A cpu. All AMD Athlon/ AthlonXP/ Duron/
Thoroughbred/ Barton cores up to 3200+ will work as well as the newer
socket-A Semprons. Take your pick.

Paul

Splendid

In article <qaom811ikka7c9nmla64fjokomrqp99bbg@4ax.com>, Anthropy
<blah@bogus.com> wrote:

> Hi.
> I currently have an AMD XP 2600+ (133 version) on my board and it just
> ain't cutting it.
> I need a reliable CPU best suited to this board.
> Thanks for any ideas.

If your FSB is only FSB266, what you are mainly missing, is
memory bandwidth. A Barton 3200+ (200x11=2200MHz) has FSB400,
and will give you more memory bandwidth.

This is what I used in mine - AthlonXP-M 2600+ mobile:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103436

The advantage of these, is the multiplier is unlocked. Even so,
I run mine at 200x11, and get the function of a 3200+ processor,
for $95. I'm using 1.65V, but some people get away with less
volts. I use a Zalman 7000 for cooling, and the processor doesn't
really get that hot.

The toughest part of a FSB400 upgrade, is the RAM. The Nforce2
is picky about RAM, and I recommend buying some PC3200 CAS2
memory, if running at 200x11 or higher. I used some Ballistix
($94 each) but there are probably 7 or 8 other name brands that
would work equally well. You can certainly experiment with your
current RAM first, and if the board is misbehaving (fails
Prime95 torture test), then you can consider a RAM upgrade.
The toughest conditions are dual channel mode (slot 1&3 or 2&3),
while single channel mode (slot 1&2) gives less bandwidth, but
also gives less trouble.

You didn't say what you use the board for - but I suppose
if your budget is limited, no sense in contemplating a S939.

Paul

Anthropy

Distinguished
May 3, 2003

On Thu, 19 May 2005 03:25:50 -0400, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:

>In article <qaom811ikka7c9nmla64fjokomrqp99bbg@4ax.com>, Anthropy
><blah@bogus.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi.
>> I currently have an AMD XP 2600+ (133 version) on my board and it just
>> ain't cutting it.
>> I need a reliable CPU best suited to this board.
>> Thanks for any ideas.
>
>If your FSB is only FSB266, what you are mainly missing, is
>memory bandwidth. A Barton 3200+ (200x11=2200MHz) has FSB400,
>and will give you more memory bandwidth.
>
>This is what I used in mine - AthlonXP-M 2600+ mobile:
>
>http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103436
>
>The advantage of these, is the multiplier is unlocked. Even so,
>I run mine at 200x11, and get the function of a 3200+ processor,
>for $95. I'm using 1.65V, but some people get away with less
>volts. I use a Zalman 7000 for cooling, and the processor doesn't
>really get that hot.
>
>The toughest part of a FSB400 upgrade, is the RAM. The Nforce2
>is picky about RAM, and I recommend buying some PC3200 CAS2
>memory, if running at 200x11 or higher. I used some Ballistix
>($94 each) but there are probably 7 or 8 other name brands that
>would work equally well. You can certainly experiment with your
>current RAM first, and if the board is misbehaving (fails
>Prime95 torture test), then you can consider a RAM upgrade.
>The toughest conditions are dual channel mode (slot 1&3 or 2&3),
>while single channel mode (slot 1&2) gives less bandwidth, but
>also gives less trouble.
>
>You didn't say what you use the board for - but I suppose
>if your budget is limited, no sense in contemplating a S939.
>
> Paul

Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated.

"Anthropy" <blah@bogus.com> wrote in message
> Hi.
> I currently have an AMD XP 2600+ (133 version) on my board and it just
> ain't cutting it.
> I need a reliable CPU best suited to this board.
> Thanks for any ideas.
> us-ascii

I believe the XP 3200 is the fastest that will run on this board. It also
has a 200 MHz memory bus, so you will need PC3200 to get the best speed out
of this combination, also make sure you have the dual channel memory mode
operating with 2 DDR PC3200 memory sticks. You can also get faster memory
and try overclocing the memory bus beyond 200 MHz to get more speed, there
are many sites for more info on overclocking.

Mike T

JC

I have the Barton core I think rated at 1.6 GHz (long time since I looked)
but running at 2.2 GHz. I have PC 3200 running at 200 MHz

The board has been trouble free for about two years.

Vcore is set to auto and runs at 1.65 volts
I can give you more detailed info if you need it.

VC

"Mike T" <mtallent@u$-i$p.net> wrote in message

> "Anthropy" <blah@bogus.com> wrote in message
>> Hi.
>> I currently have an AMD XP 2600+ (133 version) on my board and it just
>> ain't cutting it.
>> I need a reliable CPU best suited to this board.
>> Thanks for any ideas.
>> us-ascii
>>

> I believe the XP 3200 is the fastest that will run on this board. It also
> has a 200 MHz memory bus, so you will need PC3200 to get the best speed
> out
> of this combination, also make sure you have the dual channel memory mode
> operating with 2 DDR PC3200 memory sticks. You can also get faster memory
> and try overclocing the memory bus beyond 200 MHz to get more speed, there
> are many sites for more info on overclocking.
>
> Mike T

TRENDING THREADS