stopping WCZ in command line

I know how to use batch files and "net stop" etc.

I just need to know if "net stop" has a switch in command line (available in
a batch file) that will allow it to be run under a user level account.

My situation is as follows:

I have a WiFi 802.11g card (linksys) and it keeps dropping every 10-15 min.
I know what the problem is, WCZ enabled looking for a good network. So
everytime I boot my computer I have to go in and stop the WCZ service. This
is far from convienient, esp if I am not here to turn it off.

As I am the only one in the house that knows anything about computers, I
need a batch file/script/anything that will allow me to stop WCZ while logged
in under a user account, _AFTER_ it has connectted to the WiFi net.

how can I go about this?

You help is appreciated, thanks.

p.s. - do not just say "Use the software from the manufacturer". I do not
want to use it as windows SP2 touts having great flexability when dealing
with networks/NICs of all types (which is true).

Double click on your wireless connection in the system tray, click on
properties, click on the wireless networks tab and uncheck the box that says
Use Windows to configure My Network. That is the only way I know of.

"jijinmachina" <jijinmachina@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I know how to use batch files and "net stop" etc.
>
> I just need to know if "net stop" has a switch in command line (available
> in
> a batch file) that will allow it to be run under a user level account.
>
> My situation is as follows:
>
> I have a WiFi 802.11g card (linksys) and it keeps dropping every 10-15
> min.
> I know what the problem is, WCZ enabled looking for a good network. So
> everytime I boot my computer I have to go in and stop the WCZ service.
> This
> is far from convienient, esp if I am not here to turn it off.
>
> As I am the only one in the house that knows anything about computers, I
> need a batch file/script/anything that will allow me to stop WCZ while
> logged
> in under a user account, _AFTER_ it has connectted to the WiFi net.
>
> how can I go about this?
>
> You help is appreciated, thanks.
>
> p.s. - do not just say "Use the software from the manufacturer". I do not
> want to use it as windows SP2 touts having great flexability when dealing
> with networks/NICs of all types (which is true).

IMHO you shouldn't give up on WZC. Try and configure is so it won't disconnect.
Enable it's debug log to understand why it decides to disconnect.

Open a command window and type:
netsh ras set trace * enable

This will create several logs in %windir%\tracing :
wzctrace.log
wzcdlg.log
eapol.log

Good luck,
--PA

"jijinmachina" wrote:
> I know how to use batch files and "net stop" etc.
>
> I just need to know if "net stop" has a switch in command line (available in
> a batch file) that will allow it to be run under a user level account.
>
> My situation is as follows:
>
> I have a WiFi 802.11g card (linksys) and it keeps dropping every 10-15 min.
> I know what the problem is, WCZ enabled looking for a good network. So
> everytime I boot my computer I have to go in and stop the WCZ service. This
> is far from convienient, esp if I am not here to turn it off.
>
> As I am the only one in the house that knows anything about computers, I
> need a batch file/script/anything that will allow me to stop WCZ while logged
> in under a user account, _AFTER_ it has connectted to the WiFi net.
>
> how can I go about this?
>
> You help is appreciated, thanks.
>
> p.s. - do not just say "Use the software from the manufacturer". I do not
> want to use it as windows SP2 touts having great flexability when dealing
> with networks/NICs of all types (which is true).

The symptoms you describe are inline with a common problem in the home
scenario setup. Navigate to your "Network Connections" folder by typing
"ncpa.cpl" at the command line. Right-click->Properties over your wireless
icon, click on the Wireless Networks tab, highlight the network you connect
to, click the Properties button, select the Authentication tab and ensure
that the "Enable IEEE 802.1x authentication for this network" check is
UNCHECKED.

"jijinmachina" <jijinmachina@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I know how to use batch files and "net stop" etc.
>
> I just need to know if "net stop" has a switch in command line (available
> in
> a batch file) that will allow it to be run under a user level account.
>
> My situation is as follows:
>
> I have a WiFi 802.11g card (linksys) and it keeps dropping every 10-15
> min.
> I know what the problem is, WCZ enabled looking for a good network. So
> everytime I boot my computer I have to go in and stop the WCZ service.
> This
> is far from convienient, esp if I am not here to turn it off.
>
> As I am the only one in the house that knows anything about computers, I
> need a batch file/script/anything that will allow me to stop WCZ while
> logged
> in under a user account, _AFTER_ it has connectted to the WiFi net.
>
> how can I go about this?
>
> You help is appreciated, thanks.
>
> p.s. - do not just say "Use the software from the manufacturer". I do not
> want to use it as windows SP2 touts having great flexability when dealing
> with networks/NICs of all types (which is true).

Explained here:

http://tinyurl.com/3lmfp

Carey

"jijinmachina" <jijinmachina@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I know how to use batch files and "net stop" etc.
>
> I just need to know if "net stop" has a switch in command line (available
> in
> a batch file) that will allow it to be run under a user level account.
>
> My situation is as follows:
>
> I have a WiFi 802.11g card (linksys) and it keeps dropping every 10-15
> min.
> I know what the problem is, WCZ enabled looking for a good network. So
> everytime I boot my computer I have to go in and stop the WCZ service.
> This
> is far from convienient, esp if I am not here to turn it off.
>
> As I am the only one in the house that knows anything about computers, I
> need a batch file/script/anything that will allow me to stop WCZ while
> logged
> in under a user account, _AFTER_ it has connectted to the WiFi net.
>
> how can I go about this?
>
> You help is appreciated, thanks.
>
> p.s. - do not just say "Use the software from the manufacturer". I do not
> want to use it as windows SP2 touts having great flexability when dealing
> with networks/NICs of all types (which is true).

"jijinmachina" <jijinmachina@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I know how to use batch files and "net stop" etc.
>
> I just need to know if "net stop" has a switch in command line (available
> in
> a batch file) that will allow it to be run under a user level account.
>
> My situation is as follows:
>
> I have a WiFi 802.11g card (linksys) and it keeps dropping every 10-15
> min.
> I know what the problem is, WCZ enabled looking for a good network. So
> everytime I boot my computer I have to go in and stop the WCZ service.
> This
> is far from convienient, esp if I am not here to turn it off.
>
> As I am the only one in the house that knows anything about computers, I
> need a batch file/script/anything that will allow me to stop WCZ while
> logged
> in under a user account, _AFTER_ it has connectted to the WiFi net.
>
> how can I go about this?

set up a task to run a batch file on system start using the credentials of
a privileged account. You might also want it to quit if it is still
running after 5 or so minutes because it's obviously in an endless loop as
the network has not been found (see retest).

As follows:

@ECHO OFF
SETLOCAL
%SYSTEMDRIVE%
CD %WINDIR\SYSTEM32%

:test
for /F "tokens=3" %%i in ('"route print | find "Default Gateway:""') do SET
GATEWAY=%%i
ping %GATEWAY% | find "Reply from" > nul
if %errorlevel%==0 goto :up

:retest
for /F "tokens=3" %%i in ('"route print | find "Default Gateway:""') do SET
GATEWAY=%%i
ping %GATEWAY% | find "Reply from" > nul
if %errorlevel%==1 goto :retest

:up
NET STOP WZCSVC

I am in a similar situation where I have two batch files which
restart/stop the wzc service.

However, I have a problem. Imagine this scenario:

I have two PCs, LAN1 and LAN2. I switch them both on, they boot up, WZC
finds the network, connects. I stop the WZC service on both machines,
everything runs well so far.

If I reboot LAN1, or repair its connection, or restart WZC on it, then
LAN2 becomes inaccessible. If I physically go to LAN2, it shows itself
as connected. It still has the same IP. However, it cannot access the
internet or the network drives.

I have to restart WZC and reconnect LAN2 to get it working again.
Also, before I do this, I must make sure LAN1 has WZC started, because
the problem happens in both direction (i.e. vice-versa).

I really don't understand why this is happening.

The reason I'm in this position is because the software that came with
my adaptors is rubbish, and WZC (XP Pro) checks for an AP every 60
seconds. This means games/streaming are out of the question.

Any ideas/input would be greatly appreciated.

moodi

--
moodi

moodi wrote:
> *I am in a similar situation where I have two batch files which
> restart/stop the wzc service.
>
> However, I have a problem. Imagine this scenario:
>
> I have two PCs, LAN1 and LAN2. I switch them both on, they boot up,
> WZC finds the network, connects. I stop the WZC service on both
> machines, everything runs well so far.
>
> If I reboot LAN1, or repair its connection, or restart WZC on it,
> then LAN2 becomes inaccessible. If I physically go to LAN2, it shows
> itself as connected. It still has the same IP. However, it cannot
> access the internet or the network drives.
>
> I have to restart WZC and reconnect LAN2 to get it working again.
> Also, before I do this, I must make sure LAN1 has WZC started,
> because the problem happens in both direction (i.e. vice-versa).
>
> I really don't understand why this is happening.
>
> The reason I'm in this position is because the software that came
> with my adaptors is rubbish, and WZC (XP Pro) checks for an AP every
> 60 seconds. This means games/streaming are out of the question.
>
> Any ideas/input would be greatly appreciated.
>
> moodi *

I fixed the problem. I swapped the Linksys WUSB54G adaptors for Belkin
F5D7050uk.
They work with WZC perfectly. If only everyone wrote back to forums
about how they solved their problems eh?
Cool, bye.

--
moodi

TRENDING THREADS