P5AD2-E Premium - Trouble installing XP Pro.

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
May 18, 2005 5:43:07 PM

Hi Guys,

I recently bought my dream PC
ASUS P5AD2-E Premium
P4 3.2Ghz
ATI X850XT
WD 36.7Gb 'Raptor' SATA150 10,000rpm 8mb Cache
1Gb of DDR2

I have a small problem though. I still cannot use it due to trouble
installing XP Pro.

I don't understand as I followed all the standard procedure?

I connected it to the SATA connector as master, and not in the RAID
controller.
I formated my HDD and created a DOS partition.
I checked that it was recognised in the BIOS as Third IDE Master.
I tried to boot then on the CD-ROM to install Windows.
All the drivers are loaded following the normal installation procedure,
but when it comes to installing Windows, I have a blue screen coming up
with the same error "UNACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE".

I don't understand as my HDD is recognised in the BIOS.
I tried several option (including using SATA_RAID controller), but it
still come with the same error message.

If you could give me a hand, It would be great.

Thanks.
JC
May 19, 2005 3:25:51 AM

"Frogs_London" <jcgas@yahoo.fr> wrote in message
> Hi Guys,
>
> I recently bought my dream PC
> ASUS P5AD2-E Premium
> P4 3.2Ghz
> ATI X850XT
> WD 36.7Gb 'Raptor' SATA150 10,000rpm 8mb Cache
> 1Gb of DDR2
>
> I have a small problem though. I still cannot use it due to trouble
> installing XP Pro.
>
> I don't understand as I followed all the standard procedure?
>
> I connected it to the SATA connector as master, and not in the RAID
> controller.
> I formated my HDD and created a DOS partition.
> I checked that it was recognised in the BIOS as Third IDE Master.
> I tried to boot then on the CD-ROM to install Windows.
> All the drivers are loaded following the normal installation procedure,
> but when it comes to installing Windows, I have a blue screen coming up
> with the same error "UNACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE".
>
> I don't understand as my HDD is recognised in the BIOS.
> I tried several option (including using SATA_RAID controller), but it
> still come with the same error message.
>
> If you could give me a hand, It would be great.
>
> Thanks.
> JC

I'm confused; you say that your disc is SATA, yet it is recognised as third
IDE master? On my P5AD2-E Premium, that is the IT8212 IDE controller (IDE,
_NOT_ SATA). To which SATA port did you connect it? The four nearest the
Southbridge are controlled by the ICH6R controller, the four along the
bottom of the board are controlled by the SIL3114 controller. Which one are
you using? How is it set up in the BIOS? Please review pages 4-15 to 4-17 in
the manual to make sure you have the settings correct. Any further
information?
Regards,
Steve.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 19, 2005 1:45:17 PM

Hi Steve,

I connected my HDD to the IT8212 IDE controller on the left of the
board on the main Red SATA connector. For some reason it is only
recognised as Third IDE Master.
But when I tried to install Win XP Pro, I did not load the RAID drivers
when it is asked to, that might be the reason why it produced such
errors. I'll have a go tonight and see if it wors.
Also, I might connect the HDD to the main Silicon controller (bottom
left) and install it either as SATA (and specify SATA for the Silicon
controller in the BIOS) or as a RAID 0 (and specify RAID mode for the
Silicon controller). Doing this might help the BIOS to recognise the
HDD as Primary IDE Master.
Also, I might be able to then install Win XP.

Do not hesitate to tell me what you think as this Mobo BIOS is new for
me.

Cheers.
JC

stevem wrote:
> "Frogs_London" <jcgas@yahoo.fr> wrote in message
> > Hi Guys,
> >
> > I recently bought my dream PC
> > ASUS P5AD2-E Premium
> > P4 3.2Ghz
> > ATI X850XT
> > WD 36.7Gb 'Raptor' SATA150 10,000rpm 8mb Cache
> > 1Gb of DDR2
> >
> > I have a small problem though. I still cannot use it due to
trouble
> > installing XP Pro.
> >
> > I don't understand as I followed all the standard procedure?
> >
> > I connected it to the SATA connector as master, and not in the RAID
> > controller.
> > I formated my HDD and created a DOS partition.
> > I checked that it was recognised in the BIOS as Third IDE Master.
> > I tried to boot then on the CD-ROM to install Windows.
> > All the drivers are loaded following the normal installation
procedure,
> > but when it comes to installing Windows, I have a blue screen
coming up
> > with the same error "UNACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE".
> >
> > I don't understand as my HDD is recognised in the BIOS.
> > I tried several option (including using SATA_RAID controller), but
it
> > still come with the same error message.
> >
> > If you could give me a hand, It would be great.
> >
> > Thanks.
> > JC
> >

> I'm confused; you say that your disc is SATA, yet it is recognised as
third
> IDE master? On my P5AD2-E Premium, that is the IT8212 IDE controller
(IDE,
> _NOT_ SATA). To which SATA port did you connect it? The four nearest
the
> Southbridge are controlled by the ICH6R controller, the four along
the
> bottom of the board are controlled by the SIL3114 controller. Which
one are
> you using? How is it set up in the BIOS? Please review pages 4-15 to
4-17 in
> the manual to make sure you have the settings correct. Any further
> information?
> Regards,
> Steve.
a b V Motherboard
May 19, 2005 2:36:06 PM

The 'Third IDE Master' is correct. In the BIOS now go into the 'IDE
Configuration' item, (it's towards the bottom of the menu) and select
'Standard IDE'. If your hard drive supports Native Command Queuing select
'AHCI'. If you select 'AHCI' you will have to make a floppy with the driver
on it and hit 'F6' when prompted for Windows to see the hard drive. The
utility to make the floppy is located on the CD that came with the
motherboard.
If your getting a blue screen then you are crashing and the problem is
something else. Maybe memory of not enought power.
Have fun...
"Frogs_London" <jcgas@yahoo.fr> wrote in message
> Hi Guys,
>
> I recently bought my dream PC
> ASUS P5AD2-E Premium
> P4 3.2Ghz
> ATI X850XT
> WD 36.7Gb 'Raptor' SATA150 10,000rpm 8mb Cache
> 1Gb of DDR2
>
> I have a small problem though. I still cannot use it due to trouble
> installing XP Pro.
>
> I don't understand as I followed all the standard procedure?
>
> I connected it to the SATA connector as master, and not in the RAID
> controller.
> I formated my HDD and created a DOS partition.
> I checked that it was recognised in the BIOS as Third IDE Master.
> I tried to boot then on the CD-ROM to install Windows.
> All the drivers are loaded following the normal installation procedure,
> but when it comes to installing Windows, I have a blue screen coming up
> with the same error "UNACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE".
>
> I don't understand as my HDD is recognised in the BIOS.
> I tried several option (including using SATA_RAID controller), but it
> still come with the same error message.
>
> If you could give me a hand, It would be great.
>
> Thanks.
> JC

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 19, 2005 3:51:37 PM

I am already having fun switching from computers to create disk etc...
I tried to install my HDD on the Silicon controller, it is then
recognised in the RAID setup option, but when I load under XP the
drivers, it still does not work, I still get the Blue Screen.
I don't think it can come from the memory as my 2x512 is recognised in
the BIOS, neither from the PSU as I have 480W, it does come from bloody
Win XP.

Now I will try to install them again as Third Master IDE and load under
Win XP F6 the ITE8212 drivers to see if it does work.

Bloody machine.

Anyway, thanks for the bit of help.
JC

Captain Cuspid wrote:
> The 'Third IDE Master' is correct. In the BIOS now go into the 'IDE
> Configuration' item, (it's towards the bottom of the menu) and select

> 'Standard IDE'. If your hard drive supports Native Command Queuing
select
> 'AHCI'. If you select 'AHCI' you will have to make a floppy with the
driver
> on it and hit 'F6' when prompted for Windows to see the hard drive.
The
> utility to make the floppy is located on the CD that came with the
> motherboard.
> If your getting a blue screen then you are crashing and the problem
is
> something else. Maybe memory of not enought power.
> Have fun...
> "Frogs_London" <jcgas@yahoo.fr> wrote in message
> > Hi Guys,
> >
> > I recently bought my dream PC
> > ASUS P5AD2-E Premium
> > P4 3.2Ghz
> > ATI X850XT
> > WD 36.7Gb 'Raptor' SATA150 10,000rpm 8mb Cache
> > 1Gb of DDR2
> >
> > I have a small problem though. I still cannot use it due to
trouble
> > installing XP Pro.
> >
> > I don't understand as I followed all the standard procedure?
> >
> > I connected it to the SATA connector as master, and not in the RAID
> > controller.
> > I formated my HDD and created a DOS partition.
> > I checked that it was recognised in the BIOS as Third IDE Master.
> > I tried to boot then on the CD-ROM to install Windows.
> > All the drivers are loaded following the normal installation
procedure,
> > but when it comes to installing Windows, I have a blue screen
coming up
> > with the same error "UNACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE".
> >
> > I don't understand as my HDD is recognised in the BIOS.
> > I tried several option (including using SATA_RAID controller), but
it
> > still come with the same error message.
> >
> > If you could give me a hand, It would be great.
> >
> > Thanks.
> > JC

May 20, 2005 3:55:32 AM

> [...]
>> > still come with the same error message.
>> >
>> > If you could give me a hand, It would be great.
>> >
>> > Thanks.
>> > JC
>> >

>> I'm confused; you say that your disc is SATA, yet it is recognised as
> third
>> IDE master? On my P5AD2-E Premium, that is the IT8212 IDE controller
> (IDE,
>> _NOT_ SATA). To which SATA port did you connect it? The four nearest
> the
>> Southbridge are controlled by the ICH6R controller, the four along
> the
>> bottom of the board are controlled by the SIL3114 controller. Which
> one are
>> you using? How is it set up in the BIOS? Please review pages 4-15 to
> 4-17 in
>> the manual to make sure you have the settings correct. Any further

Hi JC,
Sorry, but I'm still confused. If your disc is SATA, then there is no way
you can be connecting it to the ITE8212 controller, since that's IDE (unless
you're using an adapter to convert it to IDE). What cable are you using to
connect it? IDE is 40-pin, about 2" wide, whereas SATA is (can't remember
how many) pin, about 1/2" wide. Since I do not have a SATA drive (yet!), I
don't know how they appear in the BIOS (though I'd be surprised if they
appear on third master/slave). If your drive is actually IDE, or SATA with
an IDE converter, then certainly you would need to make sure the ITE
controller is set to IDE (since you can't have RAID with one drive), and you
would also need to load the ITE driver with F6. If your drive IS IDE, then
why not connect it to the primary IDE controller (blue, towards the top of
the board)? FWIW, my setup has both my IDE hard drives connected to the
ITE8212 controller (so they appear as third master/slave), and my DVDRW is
on the primary IDE. I did not install XP, rather I simply carried over my
P4B266 setup onto the P5AD2E-Premium (if anyone tells you this can't be
done, I'm here to say otherwise!). Obviously, you might need to sort out the
boot order in the BIOS - this is not as intuitive as it might be, but then,
like you, I'm not that familiar with the AMI BIOS (despite more than twenty
years messing about with PCs, both professionally and at home, this is
actually the first AMI BIOS I've had to deal with - most have been AWARD,
with a few others thrown in (ACER, ICL etc.)). If I can help in any other
way, please let me know.
Regards,
Steve.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 20, 2005 5:18:53 AM

Hi Steve,

My HDD was connected to the SATA connectors bottom right of the Mobo,
not the Raid one on the Silicon controller.

Anyway, it worked now thanks to all of you. I just needed to lad the
specific drivers for the Silicon, ITE and ICH6R controllers when I was
installing Win XP. I saw that in some other post on this group, and
also on the last page of the installation manual. The last page!!!,
can you believe it. I might be a dummy, but if it is critical to
install the OS, they should probably put it somewhere else.

I really appreciated the help you gave me guys. All is now installed,
I just need to sort out some software problem on the AI program
claiming that "," is not a valid integer.
But with a bit of luck it should be easier.

JC
May 20, 2005 12:37:34 PM

In article <1116577133.515686.5320@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
"Frogs_London" <jcgas@yahoo.fr> wrote:

<<snip>>

> I just need to sort out some software problem on the AI program
> claiming that "," is not a valid integer.
> But with a bit of luck it should be easier.
>
> JC

Here is one workaround for the "valid integer" problem:

Go to Control Panel / Regional Settings / Number / Decimal Symbol and
change it from "," to "." That may fix the error for you.

Otherwise, download a newer version of the AI program from the
Asus download page, as Asus has made this mistake in their software
before.

http://au.asus.com/support/download/selectftp.aspx?l1_i...

Paul
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 24, 2005 10:29:38 PM

"Frogs_London" <jcgas@yahoo.fr> writes:
> Anyway, it worked now thanks to all of you. I just needed to lad the
> specific drivers for the Silicon, ITE and ICH6R controllers when I was
> installing Win XP. I saw that in some other post on this group, and
> also on the last page of the installation manual. The last page!!!,
> can you believe it. I might be a dummy, but if it is critical to
> install the OS, they should probably put it somewhere else.

Always read ALL the instructions first, unless you're Red Green... ;)

Ronald Cole <ronald@forte-intl.com> Phone: (760) 499-9142
President, CEO Fax: (760) 499-9152