can't see external usb 2.0 hard drive

i recently purchased a usb2.0 external hard drive . . .
i've got an old 20gb maxtor hd installed in it . . . i was
able to see it on my windows 2000 computer at home . . .
at work, i have a computer with windows xp . . . i
connected it, and received a message about my usb port not
being 2.0 and therefore my transfer rate would be
slower . . . however, i could not see the drive in "my
computer" . . . the device manager saw the drive and
indicated that it was running properly

any ideas on what's wrong
3 answers Last reply
More about external hard drive

    claudio wrote:

    > i recently purchased a usb2.0 external hard drive . . .
    > i've got an old 20gb maxtor hd installed in it . . . i was
    > able to see it on my windows 2000 computer at home . . .
    > at work, i have a computer with windows xp . . . i
    > connected it, and received a message about my usb port not
    > being 2.0 and therefore my transfer rate would be
    > slower . . . however, i could not see the drive in "my
    > computer" . . . the device manager saw the drive and
    > indicated that it was running properly
    >
    > any ideas on what's wrong

    Is the external HD being connected to an USB port built into
    the back panel of the computer or into a hub? For the latter,
    it might need to be powered.

    I have the same problem. I have not found a solution, but I have found a few
    workarounds. Try unplugging and replugging your USB cable several times;
    "My Computer" seems to need a jump start to wake up.
    You can also use a third party file manager which does not rely on "My
    Computer". I use http://www.netez.com/2xExplorer

    "claudio" wrote:

    > i recently purchased a usb2.0 external hard drive . . .
    > i've got an old 20gb maxtor hd installed in it . . . i was
    > able to see it on my windows 2000 computer at home . . .
    > at work, i have a computer with windows xp . . . i
    > connected it, and received a message about my usb port not
    > being 2.0 and therefore my transfer rate would be
    > slower . . . however, i could not see the drive in "my
    > computer" . . . the device manager saw the drive and
    > indicated that it was running properly
    >
    > any ideas on what's wrong

    i've discovered that the problem was due to a network
    drive being mapped to the first available letter after
    the computer's other drives . . . refer to ms knowledge
    base article
    us;297694&Product=winxp
    thanks for your responses,

Computers Windows XP