can't see external usb 2.0 hard drive

August 29, 2004 11:42:49 PM

i recently purchased a usb2.0 external hard drive . . .
i've got an old 20gb maxtor hd installed in it . . . i was
able to see it on my windows 2000 computer at home . . .
at work, i have a computer with windows xp . . . i
connected it, and received a message about my usb port not
being 2.0 and therefore my transfer rate would be
slower . . . however, i could not see the drive in "my
computer" . . . the device manager saw the drive and
indicated that it was running properly

any ideas on what's wrong
Anonymous
August 30, 2004 4:36:11 AM

claudio wrote:

> i recently purchased a usb2.0 external hard drive . . .
> i've got an old 20gb maxtor hd installed in it . . . i was
> able to see it on my windows 2000 computer at home . . .
> at work, i have a computer with windows xp . . . i
> connected it, and received a message about my usb port not
> being 2.0 and therefore my transfer rate would be
> slower . . . however, i could not see the drive in "my
> computer" . . . the device manager saw the drive and
> indicated that it was running properly
>
> any ideas on what's wrong

Is the external HD being connected to an USB port built into
the back panel of the computer or into a hub? For the latter,
it might need to be powered.
Anonymous
August 30, 2004 9:53:06 AM

I have the same problem. I have not found a solution, but I have found a few
workarounds. Try unplugging and replugging your USB cable several times;
"My Computer" seems to need a jump start to wake up.
You can also use a third party file manager which does not rely on "My
Computer". I use http://www.netez.com/2xExplorer

"claudio" wrote:

> i recently purchased a usb2.0 external hard drive . . .
> i've got an old 20gb maxtor hd installed in it . . . i was
> able to see it on my windows 2000 computer at home . . .
> at work, i have a computer with windows xp . . . i
> connected it, and received a message about my usb port not
> being 2.0 and therefore my transfer rate would be
> slower . . . however, i could not see the drive in "my
> computer" . . . the device manager saw the drive and
> indicated that it was running properly
>
> any ideas on what's wrong

Anonymous
August 30, 2004 11:29:54 AM

i've discovered that the problem was due to a network
drive being mapped to the first available letter after
the computer's other drives . . . refer to ms knowledge
base article
us;297694&Product=winxp
thanks for your responses,

!