- Looking for replacement A8N-SLI Deluxe chipset fan... re..

When I first bought my A8N-SLI Deluxe (rev.2), the first thing I noticed was
the incredibly loud chipset fan. It was louder than the CPU fan and any of
the 3 hard drives I have running. But I kept putting off replacing it.

Now, bios warns me on boot-up that said fan is not running as proper speed
(ie, faulty).

That does it. I'm replacing it. What should I be replacing it WITH?

Your suggestions are welcome. Please only recommend fans you've actually
tried, and fit.

Much appreciates.

Call Asus, I have read in here where others have got a replacement fan free.
Ken'

"Richard Hayden" <nospam@please.com> wrote in message
> When I first bought my A8N-SLI Deluxe (rev.2), the first thing I noticed
> was the incredibly loud chipset fan. It was louder than the CPU fan and
> any of the 3 hard drives I have running. But I kept putting off replacing
> it.
>
> Now, bios warns me on boot-up that said fan is not running as proper speed
> (ie, faulty).
>
> That does it. I'm replacing it. What should I be replacing it WITH?
>
> Your suggestions are welcome. Please only recommend fans you've actually
> tried, and fit.
>
> Much appreciates.

I am using Asus-Sli-Delux
i feel you problem is small one.

if it gives cpu error, redeuce the fan speed in the BIOS(default will be
1200rpm , reduce it to 800rm) it wont throw that error again.

i am using ZALMAN fan , it is huge and quiet,
i am using totally 6 fans in my aluminum lianli casing.
zalman cpu fan
msi gpu fan
asus chipset fan
power fan
two body fans
i can feel the noice if i sit near to the casing. or else it is not much
noticable.

this is my comment.

Ken' wrote:
> Call Asus, I have read in here where others have got a replacement fan free.

Here a forum article with picture of the replacement fan:
http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=29&threadid=1485553&STARTPAGE=18

The new fan is 5500rpm instead of 8000rpm, so you may be still
interested in more quite cooling.
Here some links to pictures showing other replacements:

Zalman ZM-NB47J:
http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=475817

Zalman ZM-NB47J and fan:
http://www.computerbase.de/forum/showpost.php?p=1156044
http://www.computerbase.de/forum/showpost.php?p=1123425
http://www.computerbase.de/forum/showpost.php?p=1222998

Zalman ZM-NB32J and NV Silencer, Swiftech MCX159-A:
http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?p=161108
(BTW: an interesting "modified" ZM-NB47J on another board with NF4
placed below PCIe slot is shown in the same thread:
http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?p=161108#165171)

Zalman ZM-NB32J and fan:
http://www.computerbase.de/forum/showpost.php?p=1193111
http://www.ichbinleise.de/product_info.php?products_id=1594&language=en

I installed the above and a ZM-VF700 AlCu (Asus N6600GT's fan was also
loud after a few days of operation) about two month ago, works fine so far.

Here a A8N "fan-preview" AVI, enjoy the sound-)
http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=29&threadid=1586646

Christian

"Christian Franke" <asus.20.chrfranke@spamgourmet.com> wrote in message
> Ken' wrote:
>> Call Asus, I have read in here where others have got a replacement fan
>> free.
>
> Here a forum article with picture of the replacement fan:
> http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=29&threadid=1485553&STARTPAGE=18
>
> The new fan is 5500rpm instead of 8000rpm, so you may be still interested
> in more quite cooling.
> Here some links to pictures showing other replacements:
>
> Zalman ZM-NB47J:
> http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=475817
>
> Zalman ZM-NB47J and fan:
> http://www.computerbase.de/forum/showpost.php?p=1156044
> http://www.computerbase.de/forum/showpost.php?p=1123425
> http://www.computerbase.de/forum/showpost.php?p=1222998
>
> Zalman ZM-NB32J and NV Silencer, Swiftech MCX159-A:
> http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?p=161108
> (BTW: an interesting "modified" ZM-NB47J on another board with NF4 placed
> below PCIe slot is shown in the same thread:
> http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?p=161108#165171)
>
> Zalman ZM-NB32J and fan:
> http://www.computerbase.de/forum/showpost.php?p=1193111
> http://www.ichbinleise.de/product_info.php?products_id=1594&language=en
>
> I installed the above and a ZM-VF700 AlCu (Asus N6600GT's fan was also
> loud after a few days of operation) about two month ago, works fine so
> far.
>
> Here a A8N "fan-preview" AVI, enjoy the sound-)
> http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=29&threadid=1586646
>
> Christian

The problems with the OEM fans is that have to run at very high speeds
because the heatsink is very small. If you get an aftermarket heatsink for
the chipset, you can usually run it without a fan, or with nearby fan
blowing a slight breeze on it.

milleron

On Thu, 19 May 2005 21:08:33 +0200, Christian Franke
<asus.20.chrfranke@spamgourmet.com> wrote:

>Ken' wrote:
>> Call Asus, I have read in here where others have got a replacement fan free.
>
>Here a forum article with picture of the replacement fan:
>http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=29&threadid=1485553&STARTPAGE=18
>
>The new fan is 5500rpm instead of 8000rpm, so you may be still
>interested in more quite cooling.
>Here some links to pictures showing other replacements:
>
>Zalman ZM-NB47J:
>http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=475817
>
>Zalman ZM-NB47J and fan:
>http://www.computerbase.de/forum/showpost.php?p=1156044
>http://www.computerbase.de/forum/showpost.php?p=1123425
>http://www.computerbase.de/forum/showpost.php?p=1222998
>
>Zalman ZM-NB32J and NV Silencer, Swiftech MCX159-A:
>http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?p=161108
>(BTW: an interesting "modified" ZM-NB47J on another board with NF4
>placed below PCIe slot is shown in the same thread:
>http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?p=161108#165171)
>
>Zalman ZM-NB32J and fan:
>http://www.computerbase.de/forum/showpost.php?p=1193111
>http://www.ichbinleise.de/product_info.php?products_id=1594&language=en
>
>I installed the above and a ZM-VF700 AlCu (Asus N6600GT's fan was also
>loud after a few days of operation) about two month ago, works fine so far.
>
>Here a A8N "fan-preview" AVI, enjoy the sound-)
>http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=29&threadid=1586646
>
>Christian

I guess that Zalman doesn't offer an optional fan expressly for this
HS. Do you know what size the fan must be? Is it installed with
self-tapping screws? Did you purchase a separate fan or do you simply
depend on the air circulated by the nearby ZM-VF700?

Ron

> I guess that Zalman doesn't offer an optional fan expressly for this
> HS. Do you know what size the fan must be? Is it installed with
> self-tapping screws? Did you purchase a separate fan or do you simply
> depend on the air circulated by the nearby ZM-VF700?
>
> Ron

I have both the Zalman chipset fan and the VF700 video cooler on a A8N-E MB.
The VF700 does probably blow enough air on the Zalman heatsink, but I also
added a 80mm Panaflo L1A fan hooked to the side of my drive cage with zip
ties to blow some air toward the chipset. The 12V Panaflo fan is running at
5V to ensure that it is not audible.

The size of the Zalman heatsink is huge compared to the OEM heatsink
(especially since the fan occupies most of the space and the heatsink itself
is miniscule). So the Zalman doesn't need anywhere near as much air as the
OEM heatsink.

"Mark A" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> The problems with the OEM fans is that have to run at very high speeds
> because the heatsink is very small. If you get an aftermarket heatsink for
> the chipset, you can usually run it without a fan, or with nearby fan
> blowing a slight breeze on it.

Do you have an A8N-SLI Deluxe compatible heatsink to recommend for this
specific chipset fan problem? Might as well kill 2 birds with one stone.

Thanks!

"Richard Hayden" <nospam@please.com> wrote in message news:fZNke.97104
> Do you have an A8N-SLI Deluxe compatible heatsink to recommend for this
> specific chipset fan problem? Might as well kill 2 birds with one stone.
>
> Thanks!
Zalman makes a passive heatsink that works well. If you don't have good
airflow in your case, then you put an 80mm fan running at slow speed (for
example, use the 5V leads on a 12V fan). You can rig it with some zip ties
to the drive cage on most computer cases and get it to blow a little air
onto the HS..
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118214

Swifttech makes an active HSF that is compatible.

milleron

On Fri, 20 May 2005 18:40:48 -0600, "Mark A" <nobody@nowhere.com>
wrote:

>> I guess that Zalman doesn't offer an optional fan expressly for this
>> HS. Do you know what size the fan must be? Is it installed with
>> self-tapping screws? Did you purchase a separate fan or do you simply
>> depend on the air circulated by the nearby ZM-VF700?
>>
>> Ron
>
>I have both the Zalman chipset fan and the VF700 video cooler on a A8N-E MB.
>The VF700 does probably blow enough air on the Zalman heatsink, but I also
>added a 80mm Panaflo L1A fan hooked to the side of my drive cage with zip
>ties to blow some air toward the chipset. The 12V Panaflo fan is running at
>5V to ensure that it is not audible.
>
>The size of the Zalman heatsink is huge compared to the OEM heatsink
>(especially since the fan occupies most of the space and the heatsink itself
>is miniscule). So the Zalman doesn't need anywhere near as much air as the
>OEM heatsink.

Isn't it difficult to believe that Asus couldn't install a HS like the
Zalman less expensively than they could install their HS plus a
high-rpm fan? Makes you wonder what the hell they could be thinking.
Ron

"milleron" <millerdot90@SPAMlessosu.edu> wrote in message
> Isn't it difficult to believe that Asus couldn't install a HS like the
> Zalman less expensively than they could install their HS plus a
> high-rpm fan? Makes you wonder what the hell they could be thinking.
> Ron

I am not 100% sure, but I think they wanted to leave room for an extra long
PCI card, so the HSF was designed to be very low.

Mark A wrote:
> Zalman makes a passive heatsink that works well. If you don't have good
> airflow in your case, then you put an 80mm fan running at slow speed (for
> example, use the 5V leads on a 12V fan).

Or connect it to board's CHA1_FAN connector
Its voltage can be controlled via PWM2 output of IT8212F.
In e.g. SpeedFan, set this output to "Software controlled"
Q-Fan must be disabled in BIOS.

Depending on your CPU fan, Q-Fan enabled may also work.
This sets both PWM1 (CPU) and PWM2 (CHA1) to "SmartGuardian" mode and
both voltages are regulated by the chip according to (unknown) BIOS
defined parameters.

PWM3 cannot be used.
CHIP_, PWR_ and CHA2_FAN are connected to +12V ;-(

> You can rig it with some zip ties
> to the drive cage on most computer cases and get it to blow a little air
> onto the HS..
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118214
>
> Swifttech makes an active HSF that is compatible.

As an alternative, use the ZM-NB32J instead of NB47J and attach a 40x40
fan on top:
http://www.directupload.net/show_image.php?d=204&n=l4itEDP9.jpg

Christian

I had a similar problem with my A8N-SLI Deluxe chipset fan... I called Asus
Tech Support (long-distance.. no 800 number.. and was on hold for 20 mins..
grrr) and they confirmed that the chipset fan that is shipped with the
A8N-SLI is faulty. They are sending me a new one, free.

Problem is, it's going to take up to 2 weeks to get it. In the meantime, my
chipset fan sometimes stops completely. I have to use an air compressed can
to blow it into motion, and it's not always easy.

milleron wrote:
> On Fri, 20 May 2005 18:40:48 -0600, "Mark A" <nobody@nowhere.com>
> wrote:
>

>>>I guess that Zalman doesn't offer an optional fan expressly for this
>>>HS. Do you know what size the fan must be? Is it installed with
>>>self-tapping screws? Did you purchase a separate fan or do you simply
>>>depend on the air circulated by the nearby ZM-VF700?
>>>
>>>Ron
>>
>>I have both the Zalman chipset fan and the VF700 video cooler on a A8N-E MB.
>>The VF700 does probably blow enough air on the Zalman heatsink, but I also
>>added a 80mm Panaflo L1A fan hooked to the side of my drive cage with zip
>>ties to blow some air toward the chipset. The 12V Panaflo fan is running at
>>5V to ensure that it is not audible.
>>
>>The size of the Zalman heatsink is huge compared to the OEM heatsink
>>(especially since the fan occupies most of the space and the heatsink itself
>>is miniscule). So the Zalman doesn't need anywhere near as much air as the
>>OEM heatsink.
>>

> Isn't it difficult to believe that Asus couldn't install a HS like the
> Zalman less expensively than they could install their HS plus a
> high-rpm fan? Makes you wonder what the hell they could be thinking.
> Ron

Problem with the Zalman is it would block installing a two-slot PCI
Express video card like a 6800 Ultra in the upper PCI-E 16x slot.
Therefore Asus couldn't ship with a heatsink like that..

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada

milleron

On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 16:59:39 GMT, Robert Hancock
<hancockr@nospamshaw.ca> wrote:

>milleron wrote:

>>>I have both the Zalman chipset fan and the VF700 video cooler on a A8N-E MB.
>>>The VF700 does probably blow enough air on the Zalman heatsink, but I also
>>>added a 80mm Panaflo L1A fan hooked to the side of my drive cage with zip
>>>ties to blow some air toward the chipset. The 12V Panaflo fan is running at
>>>5V to ensure that it is not audible.
>>>
>>>The size of the Zalman heatsink is huge compared to the OEM heatsink
>>>(especially since the fan occupies most of the space and the heatsink itself
>>>is miniscule). So the Zalman doesn't need anywhere near as much air as the
>>>OEM heatsink.
>>>

>> Isn't it difficult to believe that Asus couldn't install a HS like the
>> Zalman less expensively than they could install their HS plus a
>> high-rpm fan? Makes you wonder what the hell they could be thinking.
>> Ron
>
>Problem with the Zalman is it would block installing a two-slot PCI
>Express video card like a 6800 Ultra in the upper PCI-E 16x slot.
>Therefore Asus couldn't ship with a heatsink like that.

Robert,
Thanks for the reply. I was considering installing a Gigabyte X800XL
that comes with a heat-piped sink on the rear of the card, and it
appeared to me that even that card would fit in the upper slot along
with a Zalman heat sink. I can't tell you that it would because I
haven't purchased anything yet. I'm just trying to figure out the
best mix of components for the A8N-SLI.

Are you sure that a 6800 Ultra wouldn't fit with a heat sink on the
NForce controller -- i.e., have you tried it? We're beginning to see
a great number of posts in several forums from users who've replaced
the stock HS/fan with a Zalman, and I can't recall that any of them
has complained that it made fitting a PCI-E card difficult.

Ron