I am running XP Home. I want to silence the modem. I uaed
to just enter either ATM0 or M0 in the extra
initialization strings field in previous versions of
windows. This does not seem to work in XP. Any suggestions
out there??

Start, Control Panel, Printers and Other Hardware, Phone and Modem Options,
Modems tab, Properties, Modem tab, set Speaker Volume to OFF.

r.

"rhombus65" wrote:

> I am running XP Home. I want to silence the modem. I uaed
> to just enter either ATM0 or M0 in the extra
> initialization strings field in previous versions of
> windows. This does not seem to work in XP. Any suggestions
> out there??

Thank you for your reply.

I did try that, but it was unsuccessful.

Any other ideas??

Hi, L1 would mute a modem. Anyway a quick search on google reveals
http://www.modemhelp.net/basicatcommand.shtml
Chris C
> Thank you for your reply.
>
> I did try that, but it was unsuccessful.
>
> Any other ideas??

Thank you Chris for your post.

I will try the L1 and also I will review the link you
provided.

Also, an added note. You often need to get actual drivers from the
manufacturer instead of using the drivers that came with Windows in
order to turn off the speaker. I used to have problems with this all
the time.

----
Nathan McNulty

rhombus65 wrote:
> Thank you Chris for your post.
>
> I will try the L1 and also I will review the link you
> provided.

Nathan:

Thank you for your post. I would be willing to bet that is
what I need to do!!