Online Gaming - system upgrade? Or is my internet speed th..

Well, after much debate I think it may be time to get a new PC. I have been
reluctant to as we just bought a new PC last year, but a couple of things
have changed my mind:

It only has a PCI slot for video card upgrade, no AGP. And in any case, the
monitor has this wacky ‘digital +’ plug that appears to only fit with Fujitsu
computers. No DVI or VGA adapters appear to be adaptable. I went ahead and
bought a Ge-Force 5600 PCI video card that does get me into the market for
Direct X 9b games, but the performance is sketchy (always have to set to
lowest options, and then still get lag in games like BFV). I also bought an
old cheap VGA monitor, but it hurts my eyes. Not thrilled with the prospect
of shelling out a couple of hundred dollars more for a new DVI monitor to
equal the original, and still being yesterday’s PCI technology, I thought
getting a new system might be in order. Too bad as Fujitsu has a good
reputation for quality here, and I am happy with the PC otherwise. And it’s
all still under warranty.

Keep in mind I am in Japan, and the language barrier makes everything more
difficult. Also, selling/buying used computers is not common here, so I’ll
probably have to take a huge hit if I go that route. We got the system for
130,000 yen (about $1200 US), much cheaper than normal retail. Anyway, if
possible I would like to try and salvage something from it to be cost
effective. Is it possible to do this? The low end SiS 740 video card is
built into the mobo, and there are no AGP slots.

Make/name: Fujitsu FMV-Deskpower (Model: CE21C).

AMD Anthalon XP 2100+
266 MHz system bus clock
256 MB memory (plus 512 MB stick I added)
120 GB HD

Accessories: 17� flatscreen monitor with built-in speakers, laser mouse,
DVD-R CD-RW drive, Ge-Force 5600 PCI card.

I play a lot of games, so would like to have a decent system, but don’t need
to get an outrageously new/expensive type. Any advice or recommendations
greatly appreciated!

Also, I'm having someone call the internet company for me tomorrow morning
about max speeds. But if I understand correctly, ADSL is the fastest hookup
here, offered through a company called Yahoo BB (Yahoo broadband). I'm
getting about 26 M as my connection speed (sorry but I don't know what 'M'
stands for - again the language barrier). I should mention that BB was only
introduced in my region last year.

So is this speed the ultimate bottleneck for online gaming? Will an upgraded
system only be a waste?

On a side note, I went to the 2 PC shops in my city here. Believe it or not,
the ONLY PC that either of them carried that had an AGP slot was their 'top
of the line' Sony Vaio model VGC-RA50L7. link and specs:

http://www.vaio.sony.co.jp/Products/VGC-RA70P/

-HT tech intel Pentium 4 processor 3.20E GHz
-memory 512MB(256MB × 2)
(DDR 400)
-200GB HDD
-DVD±RWdrive(DVD+R 2)
-17" flatscreen monitor
-GeForce 5200 video card

This sells for the 'screaming deal' of 239,800 yen (about $2200 US). At one
shop, the guy didn't even know what an AGP slot was! I had to point out the
parts I was interested in while asking for advice! Not exactly a confidence
booster.

Anyway, it apperas as though laptops and unupgradable 'desktops' like I have
now, are the main fare in Japan. It may be possible to get other stuff in
Osaka though, as it's a large center, but I'll have to make a special trip
just to check it out, so it would be good to know what I generaly want before
I go there.

Again, thanks for your help!
Cheers! -j
7 answers Last reply
More about online gaming system upgrade internet speed

    And re the internet speed- just found out that the average speed where I live
    is "2 meg" (and I have the best possible connection for my area). Don't know
    how that translates for gaming, but hope it won't make a new system useless!

    Also, great news! Found this place:

    http://www.primepc.jp/goods_pc/goods_pc.php

    Which system would suit my gaming needs?

    "jonny" wrote:

> [...]
    >
    > -HT tech intel Pentium 4 processor 3.20E GHz
    > -memory 512MB(256MB × 2)
    > (DDR 400)
    > -200GB HDD
    > -DVD±RWdrive(DVD+R 2)
    > -17" flatscreen monitor
    > -GeForce 5200 video card
    >

    > This sells for the 'screaming deal' of 239,800 yen (about $2200 US). At one
    > shop, the guy didn't even know what an AGP slot was! I had to point out the
    > parts I was interested in while asking for advice! Not exactly a confidence
    > booster.
    >
    > Anyway, it apperas as though laptops and unupgradable 'desktops' like I have
    > now, are the main fare in Japan. It may be possible to get other stuff in
    > Osaka though, as it's a large center, but I'll have to make a special trip
    > just to check it out, so it would be good to know what I generaly want before

    2 Megabit is pretty dang fast. There are still people gaming on dialup.
    Your computer should be fine on that internet connection. Very few
    people in the US have speeds faster than that ;)

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    jonny wrote:
> [...]
    >>
    >>-HT tech intel Pentium 4 processor 3.20E GHz
    >>-memory 512MB(256MB × 2)
    >>(DDR 400)
    >>-200GB HDD
    >>-DVD±RWdrive(DVD+R 2)
    >>-17" flatscreen monitor
    >>-GeForce 5200 video card
    >>

    >>This sells for the 'screaming deal' of 239,800 yen (about $2200 US). At one
    >>shop, the guy didn't even know what an AGP slot was! I had to point out the
    >>parts I was interested in while asking for advice! Not exactly a confidence
    >>booster.
    >>
    >>Anyway, it apperas as though laptops and unupgradable 'desktops' like I have
    >>now, are the main fare in Japan. It may be possible to get other stuff in
    >>Osaka though, as it's a large center, but I'll have to make a special trip
    >>just to check it out, so it would be good to know what I generaly want before

    Found this cool site re checking internet speeds:

    http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedtest.asp

    Mine are here (below if link no good):
    http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedchart.asp?id=c847eb02feaff7c7b4c847eb02

    Downstream 122 Kbps (15.3 KB/sec) 131 Kbps (inc. overheads)
    Upstream 193 Kbps (24.1 KB/sec) 208 Kbps (inc. overheads)

    This is about "2 meg"?
    "Nathan McNulty" wrote:

> [...]
    > >>
    > >>-HT tech intel Pentium 4 processor 3.20E GHz
    > >>-memory 512MB(256MB × 2)
    > >>(DDR 400)
    > >>-200GB HDD
    > >>-DVD±RWdrive(DVD+R 2)
    > >>-17" flatscreen monitor
    > >>-GeForce 5200 video card
    > >>

    > >>This sells for the 'screaming deal' of 239,800 yen (about $2200 US). At one
    > >>shop, the guy didn't even know what an AGP slot was! I had to point out the
    > >>parts I was interested in while asking for advice! Not exactly a confidence
    > >>booster.
    > >>
    > >>Anyway, it apperas as though laptops and unupgradable 'desktops' like I have
    > >>now, are the main fare in Japan. It may be possible to get other stuff in
    > >>Osaka though, as it's a large center, but I'll have to make a special trip
    > >>just to check it out, so it would be good to know what I generaly want before

    No where near...
    2 Mbps is two million bits per second or about 250 KB/sec.
    You're at a tenth of that. 1000 kbps is about 1 mbps.

    "jonnyd" <jonnyd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | Found this cool site re checking internet speeds:
    |
    | http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedtest.asp
    |

    | Mine are here (below if link no good):

    http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedchart.asp?id=c847eb02feaff7c7b4c847eb02

    | Downstream 122 Kbps (15.3 KB/sec) 131 Kbps (inc.
    overheads)
    | Upstream 193 Kbps (24.1 KB/sec) 208 Kbps (inc. overheads)
    |
    | This is about "2 meg"?
    | "Nathan McNulty" wrote:
    |
    | > 2 Megabit is pretty dang fast. There are still people
    gaming on dialup.
    | > Your computer should be fine on that internet
    connection. Very few
    | > people in the US have speeds faster than that ;)
    | >
    | > ----
    | > Nathan McNulty
    | >

    | > jonny wrote:
    | > > And re the internet speed- just found out that the
    average speed where I live
    | > > is "2 meg" (and I have the best possible connection
    for my area). Don't know
    | > > how that translates for gaming, but hope it won't make
    a new system useless!

    | > > Also, great news! Found this place:
    | > >
    | > > http://www.primepc.jp/goods_pc/goods_pc.php
    | > >
    | > > Which system would suit my gaming needs?

    And in any case, the
    adaptable. I went ahead and
    (always have to set to
    BFV). I also bought an
    thrilled with the prospect
    Fujitsu has a good
    PC otherwise. And it's

    We got the system for

    speakers, laser mouse,

    AGP slot was their 'top
    specs:

    I generaly want before

    Yeah, those are very low. Here are my results on MSN Broadband powered
    by Qwest DSL (256k which is 1/8 of what yours should be):

    http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedchart.asp?id=9df36d42feb885b71d9df36d42

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    Jim Macklin wrote:
    > No where near...
    > 2 Mbps is two million bits per second or about 250 KB/sec.
    > You're at a tenth of that. 1000 kbps is about 1 mbps.

    So is my internet speed the bottle neck for a top system?

    "Nathan McNulty" wrote:

    > Yeah, those are very low. Here are my results on MSN Broadband powered
    > by Qwest DSL (256k which is 1/8 of what yours should be):
    >
    > http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedchart.asp?id=9df36d42feb885b71d9df36d42
    >
    > ----
    > Nathan McNulty
    >

    > Jim Macklin wrote:
    > > No where near...
    > > 2 Mbps is two million bits per second or about 250 KB/sec.
    > > You're at a tenth of that. 1000 kbps is about 1 mbps.

    Those speeds may cause a bit of lag from time to time, but it should not
    limit your system's actual performance. It all depends on what game you
    are playing, how it is set up, and what bandwidth is required by that
    game. Some use more than others and some you will notice more than
    others. Personally, I would file a complaint with your DSL company as
    they are not even providing you with 256k DSL. That is the base DSL
    speed and you are paying for 2 MegaBit which should be about 8 times
    faster. Check and see why this is.

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    jonnyd wrote:
    > So is my internet speed the bottle neck for a top system?
    >
    > "Nathan McNulty" wrote:
    >

    >>Yeah, those are very low. Here are my results on MSN Broadband powered
    >>by Qwest DSL (256k which is 1/8 of what yours should be):
    >>
    >>http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedchart.asp?id=9df36d42feb885b71d9df36d42
    >>
    >>----
    >>Nathan McNulty
    >>

    >>Jim Macklin wrote:
    >>
    >>>No where near...
    >>>2 Mbps is two million bits per second or about 250 KB/sec.
    >>>You're at a tenth of that. 1000 kbps is about 1 mbps.

Windows XP