Power supply questions

I am wondering:

What is EPS in a power supply, and what makes a power supply work with the
BTX standard. I want to make sure that the next supply I get works with
BTX standard.

Is it that it will work with a 24 pin motherboard header?

And, what about EPS?

Paul

Splendid

In article <rle7tk3fd8ls.1mbm56c58a12w$.dlg@40tude.net>,
signmeuptoo@earthlink.net wrote:

> I am wondering:
>
> What is EPS in a power supply, and what makes a power supply work with the
> BTX standard. I want to make sure that the next supply I get works with
> BTX standard.
>
> Is it that it will work with a 24 pin motherboard header?
>
> And, what about EPS?

BTX power connectors - PDF pg 27 has pinout.
http://www.formfactors.org/developer%5Cspecs%5CBTX_Specification%20v1.0a.pdf

Couple versions of EPS at the top of this list.
http://www.ssiforum.org/specifications.aspx

ATX version 2.01 looks closer to BTX, as it uses a 2x2 +12V connector.
http://www.formfactors.org/developer%5Cspecs%5CATX12V%20PSDG2.01.pdf

The BTX has a 24pin and a 2x2 +12V connector.
True EPS has a 24pin and a 2x4 +12V connector. (Some have adapters.)
The ATX 12V 2.01 has a 24pin and a 2x2 +12V connector.

All of these specs are missing the -5V supply. (The pin
for -5V is reserved, so if a supply happens to have -5V,
it should work.) They all support splitting the +12V
output(s) to some extent. That means the processor gets
a separate +12V output from the other +12V loads. Splitting
the load is not essential from a design perspective, but
is done to get a certain "agency approval" - making a
series of smaller outputs improves fire safety (imagine
the heat when a 12V 36A output is partly shorted).

So, buying an ATX 2.01 should cover BTX. Buying an "EPS"
that has adapters or multiple connector options could
also cover your requirements. But, just to be sure,
better read the specs yourself, as I've only spent 5 minutes
on this.

As some power supplies have adapters (like having both a 2x2
and a 2x4 connector, to handle both ATX and EPS requirements),
there can be some overlap in the product lines.

One like this will cover most of your "arc welding" requirements:
http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/viewproduct.php?show=T51SLI&view=techspecs

You don't really think BTX is going to succeed, do you :)

If you want to hedge your bets on the computer case as
well, the Coolermaster CM Stacker is a computer case that
can hold an ATX or a BTX motherboard. To make the transition
requires removing a gazillion screws, but you are future-proofed,
no matter which direction the industy takes.

(Installation manual 7.4MB)
http://www.coolermaster.com/installation_manual/CMstacker_manul_en.pdf

http://www.coolermaster.com/index.php?LT=english&Language_s=2&url_place=product&p_serial=STC-T01&other_title=STC-T01CM%20Stacker

Have fun,