Incorrect SATA Drive displayed on WinXP install (P5P800)

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
May 23, 2005 8:50:50 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.asus (More info?)

Asus P5P800 mainboard
Intel 3.4Ghz 800Mhz HT 1MB L2 cpu
1Gb 800Mhz memory
MSI GF 5700 video card
LG DVDRW
LG CDRW
DVDRom
WD 200Gb SATA
Maxtor 80Gb
Promise Ultra TX100 IDE PCI Conroller
Maxtor 80Gb (off pci controller)

Im trying to install winXP onto the SATA drive but i get the following
message pertaing to choosing a drive to install to:

131070 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]
C: Partition 1 [NTFS] 190070 MB (190070 MBfree)

76341 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]
D: Partition 1 [NTFS] 76341 MB (8025 MB free)

76341 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]
E: Partition 1 [NTFS] 76341 MB (1651 MB free)

Is is safe to proceed with the install on Drive C ?
If not how do i get the total drive volume to display correctly?

Here is what i have done thus far:

Formatted the SATA Drive using WinXP installed elsewhere
Flashed BIOS
Installed SATA Drivers (pressed F6 during install) from WD site before
installing win XP (only had RAID SATA drivers - unsure if they were the
right ones :
on page

http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp?cxml=n&pid=99...

I chose 1st Gen serial ATA Caviar , WD SATA RAID Controller Card Driver )

Any help is greatly appreciated.

a b V Motherboard
May 23, 2005 9:01:13 AM

Greg wrote:
> Asus P5P800 mainboard
> Intel 3.4Ghz 800Mhz HT 1MB L2 cpu
> 1Gb 800Mhz memory
> MSI GF 5700 video card
> LG DVDRW
> LG CDRW
> DVDRom
> WD 200Gb SATA
> Maxtor 80Gb
> Promise Ultra TX100 IDE PCI Conroller
> Maxtor 80Gb (off pci controller)
>
> Im trying to install winXP onto the SATA drive but i get the following
> message pertaing to choosing a drive to install to:
>
> 131070 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]
> C: Partition 1 [NTFS] 190070 MB (190070 MBfree)
>
> 76341 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]
> D: Partition 1 [NTFS] 76341 MB (8025 MB free)
>
> 76341 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]
> E: Partition 1 [NTFS] 76341 MB (1651 MB free)
>
> Is is safe to proceed with the install on Drive C ?
> If not how do i get the total drive volume to display correctly?
>
> Here is what i have done thus far:
>
> Formatted the SATA Drive using WinXP installed elsewhere
> Flashed BIOS
> Installed SATA Drivers (pressed F6 during install) from WD site before
> installing win XP (only had RAID SATA drivers - unsure if they were the
> right ones :
> on page
>
> http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp?cxml=n&pid=99...
>
> I chose 1st Gen serial ATA Caviar , WD SATA RAID Controller Card Driver )
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated.

Have you tried installing XP without loading any drivers for the SATA
drive? I think the board does not need them for normal operation. I
have this board and there is no mention in the manual or on the CD of
drivers for the SATA ports.
May 23, 2005 9:56:23 AM

Yes I have , this was the first thing I tried.

"Michael W. Ryder" <_mwryder@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> Greg wrote:
>> Asus P5P800 mainboard
>> Intel 3.4Ghz 800Mhz HT 1MB L2 cpu
>> 1Gb 800Mhz memory
>> MSI GF 5700 video card
>> LG DVDRW
>> LG CDRW
>> DVDRom
>> WD 200Gb SATA
>> Maxtor 80Gb
>> Promise Ultra TX100 IDE PCI Conroller
>> Maxtor 80Gb (off pci controller)
>>
>> Im trying to install winXP onto the SATA drive but i get the following
>> message pertaing to choosing a drive to install to:
>>
>> 131070 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]
>> C: Partition 1 [NTFS] 190070 MB (190070 MBfree)
>>
>> 76341 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]
>> D: Partition 1 [NTFS] 76341 MB (8025 MB free)
>>
>> 76341 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]
>> E: Partition 1 [NTFS] 76341 MB (1651 MB free)
>>
>> Is is safe to proceed with the install on Drive C ?
>> If not how do i get the total drive volume to display correctly?
>>
>> Here is what i have done thus far:
>>
>> Formatted the SATA Drive using WinXP installed elsewhere
>> Flashed BIOS
>> Installed SATA Drivers (pressed F6 during install) from WD site before
>> installing win XP (only had RAID SATA drivers - unsure if they were the
>> right ones :
>> on page
>>
>> http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp?cxml=n&pid=99...
>>
>> I chose 1st Gen serial ATA Caviar , WD SATA RAID Controller Card Driver )
>>
>> Any help is greatly appreciated.

> Have you tried installing XP without loading any drivers for the SATA
> drive? I think the board does not need them for normal operation. I have
> this board and there is no mention in the manual or on the CD of drivers
> for the SATA ports.
Related resources
May 23, 2005 12:01:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.asus (More info?)

As Ayoub said, you need at least SP1 to recognize the larger hard drive.
The only alternative is to slipstream an install CD with a service pack
embedded or partition the disk to allow your XP version to recognize the
disk size.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 23, 2005 12:59:32 PM

131070 MB Disk 0
doesnt seem like a formated 200gb disk, unless you partitioned it I would
have expected more like 185000mb
Is the sata disk reported correctly in the bios?

"Greg" <cetna@telus.net> wrote in message
> Yes I have , this was the first thing I tried.
>

> "Michael W. Ryder" <_mwryder@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> > Greg wrote:
> >> Asus P5P800 mainboard
> >> Intel 3.4Ghz 800Mhz HT 1MB L2 cpu
> >> 1Gb 800Mhz memory
> >> MSI GF 5700 video card
> >> LG DVDRW
> >> LG CDRW
> >> DVDRom
> >> WD 200Gb SATA
> >> Maxtor 80Gb
> >> Promise Ultra TX100 IDE PCI Conroller
> >> Maxtor 80Gb (off pci controller)
> >>
> >> Im trying to install winXP onto the SATA drive but i get the following
> >> message pertaing to choosing a drive to install to:
> >>
> >> 131070 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]
> >> C: Partition 1 [NTFS] 190070 MB (190070 MBfree)
> >>
> >> 76341 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]
> >> D: Partition 1 [NTFS] 76341 MB (8025 MB free)
> >>
> >> 76341 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]
> >> E: Partition 1 [NTFS] 76341 MB (1651 MB free)
> >>
> >> Is is safe to proceed with the install on Drive C ?
> >> If not how do i get the total drive volume to display correctly?
> >>
> >> Here is what i have done thus far:
> >>
> >> Formatted the SATA Drive using WinXP installed elsewhere
> >> Flashed BIOS
> >> Installed SATA Drivers (pressed F6 during install) from WD site before
> >> installing win XP (only had RAID SATA drivers - unsure if they were the
> >> right ones :
> >> on page
> >>
> >> http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp?cxml=n&pid=99...
> >>
> >> I chose 1st Gen serial ATA Caviar , WD SATA RAID Controller Card
Driver )

> >> Any help is greatly appreciated.

> > Have you tried installing XP without loading any drivers for the SATA
> > drive? I think the board does not need them for normal operation. I
have
> > this board and there is no mention in the manual or on the CD of drivers
> > for the SATA ports.

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 23, 2005 1:58:51 PM

> Asus P5P800 mainboard
> Intel 3.4Ghz 800Mhz HT 1MB L2 cpu
> 1Gb 800Mhz memory
> MSI GF 5700 video card
> LG DVDRW
> LG CDRW
> DVDRom
> WD 200Gb SATA
> Maxtor 80Gb
> Promise Ultra TX100 IDE PCI Conroller
> Maxtor 80Gb (off pci controller)
>
> Im trying to install winXP onto the SATA drive but i get the following
> message pertaing to choosing a drive to install to:
>
> 131070 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]
> C: Partition 1 [NTFS] 190070 MB (190070 MBfree)
>
> 76341 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]
> D: Partition 1 [NTFS] 76341 MB (8025 MB free)
>
> 76341 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]
> E: Partition 1 [NTFS] 76341 MB (1651 MB free)
>
> Is is safe to proceed with the install on Drive C ?
> If not how do i get the total drive volume to display correctly?
>
> Here is what i have done thus far:
>
> Formatted the SATA Drive using WinXP installed elsewhere
> Flashed BIOS
> Installed SATA Drivers (pressed F6 during install) from WD site before
> installing win XP (only had RAID SATA drivers - unsure if they were the
> right ones :
> on page
>
> http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp?cxml=n&pid=99...
>
> I chose 1st Gen serial ATA Caviar , WD SATA RAID Controller Card
> Driver )
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated.

The machine you formatted the drive on, looks as though it either has not
got all the service packs installed, or has a hardware IDE limit at 128GB.
Original XP, only supports 128GB, as do some chipsets. 128GB, when
displayed in 'decimal' GB, comes out at 131070... You need to verify that
the XP you are using, has the service packs 'slipstreamed' to the install,
then delete the partition, and create a new one to fill the drive.

Best Wishes
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 23, 2005 2:38:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.asus (More info?)

the problem here is that you need a xp cd which includes either sp1 or sp2
in order to correctly see the full capacity of your 200Gb hdd.
xp without sp1 or sp2 is limited to seeing 137Gb on a hdd.
cheers

"Greg" <cetna@telus.net> wrote in message
> Asus P5P800 mainboard
> Intel 3.4Ghz 800Mhz HT 1MB L2 cpu
> 1Gb 800Mhz memory
> MSI GF 5700 video card
> LG DVDRW
> LG CDRW
> DVDRom
> WD 200Gb SATA
> Maxtor 80Gb
> Promise Ultra TX100 IDE PCI Conroller
> Maxtor 80Gb (off pci controller)
>
> Im trying to install winXP onto the SATA drive but i get the following
> message pertaing to choosing a drive to install to:
>
> 131070 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]
> C: Partition 1 [NTFS] 190070 MB (190070 MBfree)
>
> 76341 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]
> D: Partition 1 [NTFS] 76341 MB (8025 MB free)
>
> 76341 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]
> E: Partition 1 [NTFS] 76341 MB (1651 MB free)
>
> Is is safe to proceed with the install on Drive C ?
> If not how do i get the total drive volume to display correctly?
>
> Here is what i have done thus far:
>
> Formatted the SATA Drive using WinXP installed elsewhere
> Flashed BIOS
> Installed SATA Drivers (pressed F6 during install) from WD site before
> installing win XP (only had RAID SATA drivers - unsure if they were the
> right ones :
> on page
>
> http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp?cxml=n&pid=99...
>
> I chose 1st Gen serial ATA Caviar , WD SATA RAID Controller Card Driver )
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated.

a b V Motherboard
May 23, 2005 6:39:51 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.asus (More info?)

So why not use the xp disk to format?

"Greg" <cetna@telus.net> wrote in message
> Asus P5P800 mainboard
> Intel 3.4Ghz 800Mhz HT 1MB L2 cpu
> 1Gb 800Mhz memory
> MSI GF 5700 video card
> LG DVDRW
> LG CDRW
> DVDRom
> WD 200Gb SATA
> Maxtor 80Gb
> Promise Ultra TX100 IDE PCI Conroller
> Maxtor 80Gb (off pci controller)
>
> Im trying to install winXP onto the SATA drive but i get the following
> message pertaing to choosing a drive to install to:
>
> 131070 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]
> C: Partition 1 [NTFS] 190070 MB (190070 MBfree)
>
> 76341 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]
> D: Partition 1 [NTFS] 76341 MB (8025 MB free)
>
> 76341 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]
> E: Partition 1 [NTFS] 76341 MB (1651 MB free)
>
> Is is safe to proceed with the install on Drive C ?
> If not how do i get the total drive volume to display correctly?
>
> Here is what i have done thus far:
>
> Formatted the SATA Drive using WinXP installed elsewhere
> Flashed BIOS
> Installed SATA Drivers (pressed F6 during install) from WD site before
> installing win XP (only had RAID SATA drivers - unsure if they were the
> right ones :
> on page
>
> http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp?cxml=n&pid=99...
>
> I chose 1st Gen serial ATA Caviar , WD SATA RAID Controller Card Driver )
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated.

May 24, 2005 12:24:51 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.asus (More info?)

XP when installed on a different disk will format the disk but if i want to
install XP on the SATA disk then the drive space is displaying incorrectly
during the install.
"MrGrumpy" <dl@spoofmail.notme> wrote in message
> So why not use the xp disk to format?
>
> "Greg" <cetna@telus.net> wrote in message
>> Asus P5P800 mainboard
>> Intel 3.4Ghz 800Mhz HT 1MB L2 cpu
>> 1Gb 800Mhz memory
>> MSI GF 5700 video card
>> LG DVDRW
>> LG CDRW
>> DVDRom
>> WD 200Gb SATA
>> Maxtor 80Gb
>> Promise Ultra TX100 IDE PCI Conroller
>> Maxtor 80Gb (off pci controller)
>>
>> Im trying to install winXP onto the SATA drive but i get the following
>> message pertaing to choosing a drive to install to:
>>
>> 131070 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]
>> C: Partition 1 [NTFS] 190070 MB (190070 MBfree)
>>
>> 76341 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]
>> D: Partition 1 [NTFS] 76341 MB (8025 MB free)
>>
>> 76341 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]
>> E: Partition 1 [NTFS] 76341 MB (1651 MB free)
>>
>> Is is safe to proceed with the install on Drive C ?
>> If not how do i get the total drive volume to display correctly?
>>
>> Here is what i have done thus far:
>>
>> Formatted the SATA Drive using WinXP installed elsewhere
>> Flashed BIOS
>> Installed SATA Drivers (pressed F6 during install) from WD site before
>> installing win XP (only had RAID SATA drivers - unsure if they were the
>> right ones :
>> on page
>>
>> http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp?cxml=n&pid=99...
>>
>> I chose 1st Gen serial ATA Caviar , WD SATA RAID Controller Card Driver )
>>
>> Any help is greatly appreciated.

May 24, 2005 12:26:53 AM

it was formatted , hence (190070 MBfree) , in the bios the drive size is
correct
> 131070 MB Disk 0
> doesnt seem like a formated 200gb disk, unless you partitioned it I would
> have expected more like 185000mb
> Is the sata disk reported correctly in the bios?
>
> "Greg" <cetna@telus.net> wrote in message
>> Yes I have , this was the first thing I tried.
>>

>> "Michael W. Ryder" <_mwryder@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

> Driver )

>> > Have you tried installing XP without loading any drivers for the SATA
>> > drive? I think the board does not need them for normal operation. I
> have
>> > this board and there is no mention in the manual or on the CD of
>> > drivers
>> > for the SATA ports.

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 24, 2005 12:37:22 AM

> it was formatted , hence (190070 MBfree) , in the bios the drive size is
> correct
You are missing the 'point' of a lot of the posts that have been made. The
XP you are trying to install, does not have SP1 built-in, so does not
understand a partition beyond 128GB. Hence the confusing message. You need
XP, with SP1 at the very least 'built in' to support a drive this large.
The OS installer is reporting the drive size correctly, and the total
partition size correctly, but is then confused about the drive size inside
this partition, since it is bigger than it understands.
At least three posters have pointed this out.

Best Wishes

> "MrGrumpy" <dl@spoofmail.notme> wrote in message
>> 131070 MB Disk 0
>> doesnt seem like a formated 200gb disk, unless you partitioned it I
>> would
>> have expected more like 185000mb
>> Is the sata disk reported correctly in the bios?
>>
>> "Greg" <cetna@telus.net> wrote in message
>>> Yes I have , this was the first thing I tried.
>>>

>>> "Michael W. Ryder" <_mwryder@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

>> Driver )

>> have

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 24, 2005 1:20:06 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.asus (More info?)

Roger Hamlett is correct if you the XP cd that already has SP1 or 2 built
into it you shouldn't have any issues.

"Greg" <cetna@telus.net> wrote in message
> Asus P5P800 mainboard
> Intel 3.4Ghz 800Mhz HT 1MB L2 cpu
> 1Gb 800Mhz memory
> MSI GF 5700 video card
> LG DVDRW
> LG CDRW
> DVDRom
> WD 200Gb SATA
> Maxtor 80Gb
> Promise Ultra TX100 IDE PCI Conroller
> Maxtor 80Gb (off pci controller)
>
> Im trying to install winXP onto the SATA drive but i get the following
> message pertaing to choosing a drive to install to:
>
> 131070 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]
> C: Partition 1 [NTFS] 190070 MB (190070 MBfree)
>
> 76341 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]
> D: Partition 1 [NTFS] 76341 MB (8025 MB free)
>
> 76341 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]
> E: Partition 1 [NTFS] 76341 MB (1651 MB free)
>
> Is is safe to proceed with the install on Drive C ?
> If not how do i get the total drive volume to display correctly?
>
> Here is what i have done thus far:
>
> Formatted the SATA Drive using WinXP installed elsewhere
> Flashed BIOS
> Installed SATA Drivers (pressed F6 during install) from WD site before
> installing win XP (only had RAID SATA drivers - unsure if they were the
> right ones :
> on page
>
> http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp?cxml=n&pid=99...
>
> I chose 1st Gen serial ATA Caviar , WD SATA RAID Controller Card Driver )
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated.

May 25, 2005 5:13:14 AM

you were all right, when i installed XP with SP2 built in the drive was
reported correctly and everything went smoothly

thx

"Roger Hamlett" <rogerspamignored@ttelmah.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> "Greg" <cetna@telus.net> wrote in message
>> it was formatted , hence (190070 MBfree) , in the bios the drive size is
>> correct
> You are missing the 'point' of a lot of the posts that have been made. The
> XP you are trying to install, does not have SP1 built-in, so does not
> understand a partition beyond 128GB. Hence the confusing message. You need
> XP, with SP1 at the very least 'built in' to support a drive this large.
> The OS installer is reporting the drive size correctly, and the total
> partition size correctly, but is then confused about the drive size inside
> this partition, since it is bigger than it understands.
> At least three posters have pointed this out.
>
> Best Wishes
>
>> "MrGrumpy" <dl@spoofmail.notme> wrote in message
>>> 131070 MB Disk 0
>>> doesnt seem like a formated 200gb disk, unless you partitioned it I
>>> would
>>> have expected more like 185000mb
>>> Is the sata disk reported correctly in the bios?
>>>
>>> "Greg" <cetna@telus.net> wrote in message

>>> Driver )

>>> have

May 27, 2005 1:56:47 PM

On Wed, 25 May 2005 01:13:14 GMT, "Greg" <cetna@telus.net> wrote:

>you were all right, when i installed XP with SP2 built in the drive was
>reported correctly and everything went smoothly

My original reply to this thread evidently did not get through.
Yes, you do need to have a version of XP with the service pack
'slipstreamed' into the installation CD. There are a few sites that
explain how to do this. Ex:
http://forum.ezbsystems.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=S...

But my main point was: Why do you need to create one large C:
partition? The problem with that is that you have two types of
files that you need to store: Programs and Data.

Programs:
The operating system is mostly a bunch of interlocked programs, and
they need to be backed up by 'imaging' (See Norton Ghost or Acronis
True Image). You know those programs whose file names get changed
from longprogramname.exe to longpr~2.exe ? Well, the shortened
version often gets stored in the registry. Problem is, that the outer
file system in NT/XP/2K etc only respects the long name. If that file
is copied via a standard copy (drag and drop, whatever), the file
system is likely to name it longpr~6.exe or whatever. Then it no
longer matches the file name in your registry.

This same thing can happen with critical boot files, so your operating
system may not even boot up correctly if you do a copy rather than an
image. Ghost and True Image do a true bit-by-bit copy and they know
how to back up all those files.

Data:
You probably don't want to back up your data with an imaging program
cause data files usually don't matter. Any good XP program will look
at the long file name, so the sfn's don't have to be kept intact. You
can use tools like 'Beyond Compare' (recommended...see
ScooterSoftware) that were designed for doing incremental backups and
directory 'syncs.'

Short version:
A 20GB to 25GB C: partition is usually good for most users. Then
image files remain small. You can even keep a copy of your latest on
your data partition. (Also keep one off-line and safe). If you get
into trouble: Crash, Virus, etc. then just reinstall your last
known-good operating system image. Ghost and True Image allow
the creation of boot floppies or boot CDs so you can usually get your
system back pretty quickly.

In the process, you've also solved your Chicken-vs-Egg problem of
installing SP1 on an operating system that you can't install in the
first place (you gotta wonder what Microsoft is thinking sometimes).

LL
May 27, 2005 9:08:45 PM

On Fri, 27 May 2005 09:56:47 -0400, "_|_|_" <_|_|_@nomail.org> wrote:

>On Wed, 25 May 2005 01:13:14 GMT, "Greg" <cetna@telus.net> wrote:
>
>>you were all right, when i installed XP with SP2 built in the drive was
>>reported correctly and everything went smoothly
>>

>My original reply to this thread evidently did not get through.
>Yes, you do need to have a version of XP with the service pack
>'slipstreamed' into the installation CD. There are a few sites that
>explain how to do this. Ex:
>http://forum.ezbsystems.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=S...
>
>But my main point was: Why do you need to create one large C:
>partition? The problem with that is that you have two types of
>files that you need to store: Programs and Data.
>
>Programs:
>The operating system is mostly a bunch of interlocked programs, and
>they need to be backed up by 'imaging' (See Norton Ghost or Acronis
>True Image). You know those programs whose file names get changed
>from longprogramname.exe to longpr~2.exe ? Well, the shortened
>version often gets stored in the registry. Problem is, that the outer
>file system in NT/XP/2K etc only respects the long name. If that file
>is copied via a standard copy (drag and drop, whatever), the file
>system is likely to name it longpr~6.exe or whatever. Then it no
>longer matches the file name in your registry.
>
>This same thing can happen with critical boot files, so your operating
>system may not even boot up correctly if you do a copy rather than an
>image. Ghost and True Image do a true bit-by-bit copy and they know
>how to back up all those files.
>
>Data:
>You probably don't want to back up your data with an imaging program
>cause data files usually don't matter. Any good XP program will look
>at the long file name, so the sfn's don't have to be kept intact. You
>can use tools like 'Beyond Compare' (recommended...see
>ScooterSoftware) that were designed for doing incremental backups and
>directory 'syncs.'
>
>Short version:
>A 20GB to 25GB C: partition is usually good for most users. Then
>image files remain small. You can even keep a copy of your latest on
>your data partition. (Also keep one off-line and safe). If you get
>into trouble: Crash, Virus, etc. then just reinstall your last
>known-good operating system image. Ghost and True Image allow
>the creation of boot floppies or boot CDs so you can usually get your
>system back pretty quickly.
>
>In the process, you've also solved your Chicken-vs-Egg problem of
>installing SP1 on an operating system that you can't install in the
>first place (you gotta wonder what Microsoft is thinking sometimes).
>
>LL

I agree.
.. . . just two points, though:
1 -- If you're talking about a 20-25GB boot partition, I'd suggest
that if one is careful not to install programs there -- i.e., leave it
for only the OS and a few basic utilities with the page file on a
different drive, then 8 - 12GB is really all the HD space that needs
to be devoted to it, depending on how big a cache one desires for
System Restore or Go Back. Anyone who keeps many GB of files in his
"My Documents" folder should probably move it to the data drive.
2 -- The size of the partition has little to do with the size of the
image file created by Ghost or True Image. That comes into play only
when the partition is filled up so that no more bits can be written.
Only then would the size of the partition limit the size of the image
file. If one has only 10GB written, then the image file, after
compression, is going to be only about 8GB whether the partition is
10GB or 200 GB in size. (I know you understand this, but I wanted to
clarify it in case a newbie read the post.)

Ron
May 29, 2005 2:54:13 AM

On Fri, 27 May 2005 17:08:45 GMT, milleron
<millerdot90@SPAMlessosu.edu> wrote:

>On Fri, 27 May 2005 09:56:47 -0400, "_|_|_" <_|_|_@nomail.org> wrote:
>
>>But my main point was: Why do you need to create one large C:
>>partition? The problem with that is that you have two types of
>>files that you need to store: Programs and Data.

>I agree.
>. . . just two points, though:
>1 -- If you're talking about a 20-25GB boot partition, I'd suggest
>that if one is careful not to install programs there -- i.e., leave it
>for only the OS and a few basic utilities with the page file on a
>different drive, then 8 - 12GB is really all the HD space that needs
>to be devoted to it, depending on how big a cache one desires for
>System Restore or Go Back. Anyone who keeps many GB of files in his
>"My Documents" folder should probably move it to the data drive.

Yeah, I hate that "My Documents" concept. I do keep all programs on
my C: drive. Got into that habit years ago when there was no control
over letter-mapping of partitions (install another drive w a primary
and D: turns into E:) . Also, if registry entries are using SFN's
(shortened file names), the mapping to the normal LFNs is maintained
in the directory within the mapped image.

Not sure why, but I've had some trouble when changing page files to
a different drive. I may have encountered obscure opsys bugs that
surfaced when the system was pushed. I've also noticed that as soon
as XP hits the limit on RAM and starts swapping a lot, my systems will
slow drastically (as expected) but never recover even when programs
are unloaded. I used to run NT and Win2K for weeks without rebooting
but I've got in the habit of rebooting XP every couple days just to
clear out cobwebs.

>2 -- The size of the partition has little to do with the size of the
>image file created by Ghost or True Image. That comes into play only
>when the partition is filled up so that no more bits can be written.
>Only then would the size of the partition limit the size of the image
>file. If one has only 10GB written, then the image file, after
>compression, is going to be only about 8GB whether the partition is
>10GB or 200 GB in size. (I know you understand this, but I wanted to
>clarify it in case a newbie read the post.)
>
>Ron

You're right, Ron, I could have been more clear about that. Also,
the next generation (Longhorn) may require a larger C: partition, but
it's fairly easy to change partition sizes these days. I did survive
with XP + swap on a 15GB partition for quite a while. Just recently
upped it to 25GB after programming tools started crowding. As you
say, average users can probably get by with a lot less.

LL
!