Incorrect SATA Drive displayed on WinXP install (P5P800)

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.asus (More info?)

Asus P5P800 mainboard
Intel 3.4Ghz 800Mhz HT 1MB L2 cpu
1Gb 800Mhz memory
MSI GF 5700 video card
LG DVDRW
LG CDRW
DVDRom
WD 200Gb SATA
Maxtor 80Gb
Promise Ultra TX100 IDE PCI Conroller
Maxtor 80Gb (off pci controller)

Im trying to install winXP onto the SATA drive but i get the following
message pertaing to choosing a drive to install to:

131070 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]
C: Partition 1 [NTFS] 190070 MB (190070 MBfree)

76341 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]
D: Partition 1 [NTFS] 76341 MB (8025 MB free)

76341 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]
E: Partition 1 [NTFS] 76341 MB (1651 MB free)

Is is safe to proceed with the install on Drive C ?
If not how do i get the total drive volume to display correctly?

Here is what i have done thus far:

Formatted the SATA Drive using WinXP installed elsewhere
Flashed BIOS
Installed SATA Drivers (pressed F6 during install) from WD site before
installing win XP (only had RAID SATA drivers - unsure if they were the
right ones :
on page

http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp?cxml=n&pid=999

I chose 1st Gen serial ATA Caviar , WD SATA RAID Controller Card Driver )

Any help is greatly appreciated.

More about incorrect sata drive displayed winxp install p5p800
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.asus (More info?)

    Greg wrote:
    > Asus P5P800 mainboard
    > Intel 3.4Ghz 800Mhz HT 1MB L2 cpu
    > 1Gb 800Mhz memory
    > MSI GF 5700 video card
    > LG DVDRW
    > LG CDRW
    > DVDRom
    > WD 200Gb SATA
    > Maxtor 80Gb
    > Promise Ultra TX100 IDE PCI Conroller
    > Maxtor 80Gb (off pci controller)
    >
    > Im trying to install winXP onto the SATA drive but i get the following
    > message pertaing to choosing a drive to install to:
    >
    > 131070 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]
    > C: Partition 1 [NTFS] 190070 MB (190070 MBfree)
    >
    > 76341 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]
    > D: Partition 1 [NTFS] 76341 MB (8025 MB free)
    >
    > 76341 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]
    > E: Partition 1 [NTFS] 76341 MB (1651 MB free)
    >
    > Is is safe to proceed with the install on Drive C ?
    > If not how do i get the total drive volume to display correctly?
    >
    > Here is what i have done thus far:
    >
    > Formatted the SATA Drive using WinXP installed elsewhere
    > Flashed BIOS
    > Installed SATA Drivers (pressed F6 during install) from WD site before
    > installing win XP (only had RAID SATA drivers - unsure if they were the
    > right ones :
    > on page
    >
    > http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp?cxml=n&pid=999
    >
    > I chose 1st Gen serial ATA Caviar , WD SATA RAID Controller Card Driver )
    >
    > Any help is greatly appreciated.

    Have you tried installing XP without loading any drivers for the SATA
    drive? I think the board does not need them for normal operation. I
    have this board and there is no mention in the manual or on the CD of
    drivers for the SATA ports.

    Yes I have , this was the first thing I tried.

    "Michael W. Ryder" <_mwryder@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > Greg wrote:
    >> Asus P5P800 mainboard
    >> Intel 3.4Ghz 800Mhz HT 1MB L2 cpu
    >> 1Gb 800Mhz memory
    >> MSI GF 5700 video card
    >> LG DVDRW
    >> LG CDRW
    >> DVDRom
    >> WD 200Gb SATA
    >> Maxtor 80Gb
    >> Promise Ultra TX100 IDE PCI Conroller
    >> Maxtor 80Gb (off pci controller)
    >>
    >> Im trying to install winXP onto the SATA drive but i get the following
    >> message pertaing to choosing a drive to install to:
    >>
    >> 131070 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]
    >> C: Partition 1 [NTFS] 190070 MB (190070 MBfree)
    >>
    >> 76341 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]
    >> D: Partition 1 [NTFS] 76341 MB (8025 MB free)
    >>
    >> 76341 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]
    >> E: Partition 1 [NTFS] 76341 MB (1651 MB free)
    >>
    >> Is is safe to proceed with the install on Drive C ?
    >> If not how do i get the total drive volume to display correctly?
    >>
    >> Here is what i have done thus far:
    >>
    >> Formatted the SATA Drive using WinXP installed elsewhere
    >> Flashed BIOS
    >> Installed SATA Drivers (pressed F6 during install) from WD site before
    >> installing win XP (only had RAID SATA drivers - unsure if they were the
    >> right ones :
    >> on page
    >>
    >> http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp?cxml=n&pid=999
    >>
    >> I chose 1st Gen serial ATA Caviar , WD SATA RAID Controller Card Driver )
    >>
    >> Any help is greatly appreciated.

    > Have you tried installing XP without loading any drivers for the SATA
    > drive? I think the board does not need them for normal operation. I have
    > this board and there is no mention in the manual or on the CD of drivers
    > for the SATA ports.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.asus (More info?)

    As Ayoub said, you need at least SP1 to recognize the larger hard drive.
    The only alternative is to slipstream an install CD with a service pack
    embedded or partition the disk to allow your XP version to recognize the
    disk size.

    131070 MB Disk 0
    doesnt seem like a formated 200gb disk, unless you partitioned it I would
    have expected more like 185000mb
    Is the sata disk reported correctly in the bios?

    "Greg" <cetna@telus.net> wrote in message
    > Yes I have , this was the first thing I tried.
    >

    > "Michael W. Ryder" <_mwryder@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > > Greg wrote:
    > >> Asus P5P800 mainboard
    > >> Intel 3.4Ghz 800Mhz HT 1MB L2 cpu
    > >> 1Gb 800Mhz memory
    > >> MSI GF 5700 video card
    > >> LG DVDRW
    > >> LG CDRW
    > >> DVDRom
    > >> WD 200Gb SATA
    > >> Maxtor 80Gb
    > >> Promise Ultra TX100 IDE PCI Conroller
    > >> Maxtor 80Gb (off pci controller)
    > >>
    > >> Im trying to install winXP onto the SATA drive but i get the following
    > >> message pertaing to choosing a drive to install to:
    > >>
    > >> 131070 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]
    > >> C: Partition 1 [NTFS] 190070 MB (190070 MBfree)
    > >>
    > >> 76341 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]
    > >> D: Partition 1 [NTFS] 76341 MB (8025 MB free)
    > >>
    > >> 76341 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]
    > >> E: Partition 1 [NTFS] 76341 MB (1651 MB free)
    > >>
    > >> Is is safe to proceed with the install on Drive C ?
    > >> If not how do i get the total drive volume to display correctly?
    > >>
    > >> Here is what i have done thus far:
    > >>
    > >> Formatted the SATA Drive using WinXP installed elsewhere
    > >> Flashed BIOS
    > >> Installed SATA Drivers (pressed F6 during install) from WD site before
    > >> installing win XP (only had RAID SATA drivers - unsure if they were the
    > >> right ones :
    > >> on page
    > >>
    > >> http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp?cxml=n&pid=999
    > >>
    > >> I chose 1st Gen serial ATA Caviar , WD SATA RAID Controller Card
    Driver )

    > >> Any help is greatly appreciated.

    > > Have you tried installing XP without loading any drivers for the SATA
    > > drive? I think the board does not need them for normal operation. I
    have
    > > this board and there is no mention in the manual or on the CD of drivers
    > > for the SATA ports.

  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.asus (More info?)

    > Asus P5P800 mainboard
    > Intel 3.4Ghz 800Mhz HT 1MB L2 cpu
    > 1Gb 800Mhz memory
    > MSI GF 5700 video card
    > LG DVDRW
    > LG CDRW
    > DVDRom
    > WD 200Gb SATA
    > Maxtor 80Gb
    > Promise Ultra TX100 IDE PCI Conroller
    > Maxtor 80Gb (off pci controller)
    >
    > Im trying to install winXP onto the SATA drive but i get the following
    > message pertaing to choosing a drive to install to:
    >
    > 131070 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]
    > C: Partition 1 [NTFS] 190070 MB (190070 MBfree)
    >
    > 76341 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]
    > D: Partition 1 [NTFS] 76341 MB (8025 MB free)
    >
    > 76341 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]
    > E: Partition 1 [NTFS] 76341 MB (1651 MB free)
    >
    > Is is safe to proceed with the install on Drive C ?
    > If not how do i get the total drive volume to display correctly?
    >
    > Here is what i have done thus far:
    >
    > Formatted the SATA Drive using WinXP installed elsewhere
    > Flashed BIOS
    > Installed SATA Drivers (pressed F6 during install) from WD site before
    > installing win XP (only had RAID SATA drivers - unsure if they were the
    > right ones :
    > on page
    >
    > http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp?cxml=n&pid=999
    >
    > I chose 1st Gen serial ATA Caviar , WD SATA RAID Controller Card
    > Driver )
    >
    > Any help is greatly appreciated.

    The machine you formatted the drive on, looks as though it either has not
    got all the service packs installed, or has a hardware IDE limit at 128GB.
    Original XP, only supports 128GB, as do some chipsets. 128GB, when
    displayed in 'decimal' GB, comes out at 131070... You need to verify that
    the XP you are using, has the service packs 'slipstreamed' to the install,
    then delete the partition, and create a new one to fill the drive.

    Best Wishes
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.asus (More info?)

    the problem here is that you need a xp cd which includes either sp1 or sp2
    in order to correctly see the full capacity of your 200Gb hdd.
    xp without sp1 or sp2 is limited to seeing 137Gb on a hdd.
    cheers

    "Greg" <cetna@telus.net> wrote in message
    > Asus P5P800 mainboard
    > Intel 3.4Ghz 800Mhz HT 1MB L2 cpu
    > 1Gb 800Mhz memory
    > MSI GF 5700 video card
    > LG DVDRW
    > LG CDRW
    > DVDRom
    > WD 200Gb SATA
    > Maxtor 80Gb
    > Promise Ultra TX100 IDE PCI Conroller
    > Maxtor 80Gb (off pci controller)
    >
    > Im trying to install winXP onto the SATA drive but i get the following
    > message pertaing to choosing a drive to install to:
    >
    > 131070 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]
    > C: Partition 1 [NTFS] 190070 MB (190070 MBfree)
    >
    > 76341 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]
    > D: Partition 1 [NTFS] 76341 MB (8025 MB free)
    >
    > 76341 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]
    > E: Partition 1 [NTFS] 76341 MB (1651 MB free)
    >
    > Is is safe to proceed with the install on Drive C ?
    > If not how do i get the total drive volume to display correctly?
    >
    > Here is what i have done thus far:
    >
    > Formatted the SATA Drive using WinXP installed elsewhere
    > Flashed BIOS
    > Installed SATA Drivers (pressed F6 during install) from WD site before
    > installing win XP (only had RAID SATA drivers - unsure if they were the
    > right ones :
    > on page
    >
    > http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp?cxml=n&pid=999
    >
    > I chose 1st Gen serial ATA Caviar , WD SATA RAID Controller Card Driver )
    >
    > Any help is greatly appreciated.

  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.asus (More info?)

    So why not use the xp disk to format?

    "Greg" <cetna@telus.net> wrote in message
    > Asus P5P800 mainboard
    > Intel 3.4Ghz 800Mhz HT 1MB L2 cpu
    > 1Gb 800Mhz memory
    > MSI GF 5700 video card
    > LG DVDRW
    > LG CDRW
    > DVDRom
    > WD 200Gb SATA
    > Maxtor 80Gb
    > Promise Ultra TX100 IDE PCI Conroller
    > Maxtor 80Gb (off pci controller)
    >
    > Im trying to install winXP onto the SATA drive but i get the following
    > message pertaing to choosing a drive to install to:
    >
    > 131070 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]
    > C: Partition 1 [NTFS] 190070 MB (190070 MBfree)
    >
    > 76341 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]
    > D: Partition 1 [NTFS] 76341 MB (8025 MB free)
    >
    > 76341 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]
    > E: Partition 1 [NTFS] 76341 MB (1651 MB free)
    >
    > Is is safe to proceed with the install on Drive C ?
    > If not how do i get the total drive volume to display correctly?
    >
    > Here is what i have done thus far:
    >
    > Formatted the SATA Drive using WinXP installed elsewhere
    > Flashed BIOS
    > Installed SATA Drivers (pressed F6 during install) from WD site before
    > installing win XP (only had RAID SATA drivers - unsure if they were the
    > right ones :
    > on page
    >
    > http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp?cxml=n&pid=999
    >
    > I chose 1st Gen serial ATA Caviar , WD SATA RAID Controller Card Driver )
    >
    > Any help is greatly appreciated.

  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.asus (More info?)

    XP when installed on a different disk will format the disk but if i want to
    install XP on the SATA disk then the drive space is displaying incorrectly
    during the install.
    "MrGrumpy" <dl@spoofmail.notme> wrote in message
    > So why not use the xp disk to format?
    >
    > "Greg" <cetna@telus.net> wrote in message
    >> Asus P5P800 mainboard
    >> Intel 3.4Ghz 800Mhz HT 1MB L2 cpu
    >> 1Gb 800Mhz memory
    >> MSI GF 5700 video card
    >> LG DVDRW
    >> LG CDRW
    >> DVDRom
    >> WD 200Gb SATA
    >> Maxtor 80Gb
    >> Promise Ultra TX100 IDE PCI Conroller
    >> Maxtor 80Gb (off pci controller)
    >>
    >> Im trying to install winXP onto the SATA drive but i get the following
    >> message pertaing to choosing a drive to install to:
    >>
    >> 131070 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]
    >> C: Partition 1 [NTFS] 190070 MB (190070 MBfree)
    >>
    >> 76341 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]
    >> D: Partition 1 [NTFS] 76341 MB (8025 MB free)
    >>
    >> 76341 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]
    >> E: Partition 1 [NTFS] 76341 MB (1651 MB free)
    >>
    >> Is is safe to proceed with the install on Drive C ?
    >> If not how do i get the total drive volume to display correctly?
    >>
    >> Here is what i have done thus far:
    >>
    >> Formatted the SATA Drive using WinXP installed elsewhere
    >> Flashed BIOS
    >> Installed SATA Drivers (pressed F6 during install) from WD site before
    >> installing win XP (only had RAID SATA drivers - unsure if they were the
    >> right ones :
    >> on page
    >>
    >> http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp?cxml=n&pid=999
    >>
    >> I chose 1st Gen serial ATA Caviar , WD SATA RAID Controller Card Driver )
    >>
    >> Any help is greatly appreciated.

    it was formatted , hence (190070 MBfree) , in the bios the drive size is
    correct

    > it was formatted , hence (190070 MBfree) , in the bios the drive size is
    > correct
    You are missing the 'point' of a lot of the posts that have been made. The
    XP you are trying to install, does not have SP1 built-in, so does not
    understand a partition beyond 128GB. Hence the confusing message. You need
    XP, with SP1 at the very least 'built in' to support a drive this large.
    The OS installer is reporting the drive size correctly, and the total
    partition size correctly, but is then confused about the drive size inside
    this partition, since it is bigger than it understands.
    At least three posters have pointed this out.

    Best Wishes

    > "MrGrumpy" <dl@spoofmail.notme> wrote in message
    >> 131070 MB Disk 0
    >> doesnt seem like a formated 200gb disk, unless you partitioned it I
    >> would
    >> have expected more like 185000mb
    >> Is the sata disk reported correctly in the bios?
    >>
    >> "Greg" <cetna@telus.net> wrote in message
    >>> Yes I have , this was the first thing I tried.
    >>>

    >>> "Michael W. Ryder" <_mwryder@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

    >> Driver )

    >> have

  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.asus (More info?)

    Roger Hamlett is correct if you the XP cd that already has SP1 or 2 built
    into it you shouldn't have any issues.

    "Greg" <cetna@telus.net> wrote in message
    > Asus P5P800 mainboard
    > Intel 3.4Ghz 800Mhz HT 1MB L2 cpu
    > 1Gb 800Mhz memory
    > MSI GF 5700 video card
    > LG DVDRW
    > LG CDRW
    > DVDRom
    > WD 200Gb SATA
    > Maxtor 80Gb
    > Promise Ultra TX100 IDE PCI Conroller
    > Maxtor 80Gb (off pci controller)
    >
    > Im trying to install winXP onto the SATA drive but i get the following
    > message pertaing to choosing a drive to install to:
    >
    > 131070 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]
    > C: Partition 1 [NTFS] 190070 MB (190070 MBfree)
    >
    > 76341 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]
    > D: Partition 1 [NTFS] 76341 MB (8025 MB free)
    >
    > 76341 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]
    > E: Partition 1 [NTFS] 76341 MB (1651 MB free)
    >
    > Is is safe to proceed with the install on Drive C ?
    > If not how do i get the total drive volume to display correctly?
    >
    > Here is what i have done thus far:
    >
    > Formatted the SATA Drive using WinXP installed elsewhere
    > Flashed BIOS
    > Installed SATA Drivers (pressed F6 during install) from WD site before
    > installing win XP (only had RAID SATA drivers - unsure if they were the
    > right ones :
    > on page
    >
    > http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp?cxml=n&pid=999
    >
    > I chose 1st Gen serial ATA Caviar , WD SATA RAID Controller Card Driver )
    >
    > Any help is greatly appreciated.

    you were all right, when i installed XP with SP2 built in the drive was
    reported correctly and everything went smoothly

    thx

    On Wed, 25 May 2005 01:13:14 GMT, "Greg" <cetna@telus.net> wrote:

    >you were all right, when i installed XP with SP2 built in the drive was
    >reported correctly and everything went smoothly

    My original reply to this thread evidently did not get through.
    Yes, you do need to have a version of XP with the service pack
    'slipstreamed' into the installation CD. There are a few sites that
    explain how to do this. Ex:
    http://forum.ezbsystems.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST&f=2&t=180

    But my main point was: Why do you need to create one large C:
    partition? The problem with that is that you have two types of
    files that you need to store: Programs and Data.

    Programs:
    The operating system is mostly a bunch of interlocked programs, and
    they need to be backed up by 'imaging' (See Norton Ghost or Acronis
    True Image). You know those programs whose file names get changed
    from longprogramname.exe to longpr~2.exe ? Well, the shortened
    version often gets stored in the registry. Problem is, that the outer
    file system in NT/XP/2K etc only respects the long name. If that file
    is copied via a standard copy (drag and drop, whatever), the file
    system is likely to name it longpr~6.exe or whatever. Then it no
    longer matches the file name in your registry.

    This same thing can happen with critical boot files, so your operating
    system may not even boot up correctly if you do a copy rather than an
    image. Ghost and True Image do a true bit-by-bit copy and they know
    how to back up all those files.

    Data:
    You probably don't want to back up your data with an imaging program
    cause data files usually don't matter. Any good XP program will look
    at the long file name, so the sfn's don't have to be kept intact. You
    can use tools like 'Beyond Compare' (recommended...see
    ScooterSoftware) that were designed for doing incremental backups and
    directory 'syncs.'

    Short version:
    A 20GB to 25GB C: partition is usually good for most users. Then
    image files remain small. You can even keep a copy of your latest on
    your data partition. (Also keep one off-line and safe). If you get
    into trouble: Crash, Virus, etc. then just reinstall your last
    known-good operating system image. Ghost and True Image allow
    the creation of boot floppies or boot CDs so you can usually get your
    system back pretty quickly.

    In the process, you've also solved your Chicken-vs-Egg problem of
    installing SP1 on an operating system that you can't install in the
    first place (you gotta wonder what Microsoft is thinking sometimes).

    LL

    On Fri, 27 May 2005 09:56:47 -0400, "_|_|_" <_|_|_@nomail.org> wrote:

    >On Wed, 25 May 2005 01:13:14 GMT, "Greg" <cetna@telus.net> wrote:
    >
    >>you were all right, when i installed XP with SP2 built in the drive was
    >>reported correctly and everything went smoothly
    >>

    >My original reply to this thread evidently did not get through.
    >Yes, you do need to have a version of XP with the service pack
    >'slipstreamed' into the installation CD. There are a few sites that
    >explain how to do this. Ex:
    >http://forum.ezbsystems.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST&f=2&t=180
    >
    >But my main point was: Why do you need to create one large C:
    >partition? The problem with that is that you have two types of
    >files that you need to store: Programs and Data.
    >
    >Programs:
    >The operating system is mostly a bunch of interlocked programs, and
    >they need to be backed up by 'imaging' (See Norton Ghost or Acronis
    >True Image). You know those programs whose file names get changed
    >from longprogramname.exe to longpr~2.exe ? Well, the shortened
    >version often gets stored in the registry. Problem is, that the outer
    >file system in NT/XP/2K etc only respects the long name. If that file
    >is copied via a standard copy (drag and drop, whatever), the file
    >system is likely to name it longpr~6.exe or whatever. Then it no
    >longer matches the file name in your registry.
    >
    >This same thing can happen with critical boot files, so your operating
    >system may not even boot up correctly if you do a copy rather than an
    >image. Ghost and True Image do a true bit-by-bit copy and they know
    >how to back up all those files.
    >
    >Data:
    >You probably don't want to back up your data with an imaging program
    >cause data files usually don't matter. Any good XP program will look
    >at the long file name, so the sfn's don't have to be kept intact. You
    >can use tools like 'Beyond Compare' (recommended...see
    >ScooterSoftware) that were designed for doing incremental backups and
    >directory 'syncs.'
    >
    >Short version:
    >A 20GB to 25GB C: partition is usually good for most users. Then
    >image files remain small. You can even keep a copy of your latest on
    >your data partition. (Also keep one off-line and safe). If you get
    >into trouble: Crash, Virus, etc. then just reinstall your last
    >known-good operating system image. Ghost and True Image allow
    >the creation of boot floppies or boot CDs so you can usually get your
    >system back pretty quickly.
    >
    >In the process, you've also solved your Chicken-vs-Egg problem of
    >installing SP1 on an operating system that you can't install in the
    >first place (you gotta wonder what Microsoft is thinking sometimes).
    >
    >LL

    I agree.
    .. . . just two points, though:
    1 -- If you're talking about a 20-25GB boot partition, I'd suggest
    that if one is careful not to install programs there -- i.e., leave it
    for only the OS and a few basic utilities with the page file on a
    different drive, then 8 - 12GB is really all the HD space that needs
    to be devoted to it, depending on how big a cache one desires for
    System Restore or Go Back. Anyone who keeps many GB of files in his
    "My Documents" folder should probably move it to the data drive.
    2 -- The size of the partition has little to do with the size of the
    image file created by Ghost or True Image. That comes into play only
    when the partition is filled up so that no more bits can be written.
    Only then would the size of the partition limit the size of the image
    file. If one has only 10GB written, then the image file, after
    compression, is going to be only about 8GB whether the partition is
    10GB or 200 GB in size. (I know you understand this, but I wanted to
    clarify it in case a newbie read the post.)

    Ron
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    On Fri, 27 May 2005 17:08:45 GMT, milleron
    <millerdot90@SPAMlessosu.edu> wrote:

    >On Fri, 27 May 2005 09:56:47 -0400, "_|_|_" <_|_|_@nomail.org> wrote:
    >
    >>But my main point was: Why do you need to create one large C:
    >>partition? The problem with that is that you have two types of
    >>files that you need to store: Programs and Data.

    >I agree.
    >. . . just two points, though:
    >1 -- If you're talking about a 20-25GB boot partition, I'd suggest
    >that if one is careful not to install programs there -- i.e., leave it
    >for only the OS and a few basic utilities with the page file on a
    >different drive, then 8 - 12GB is really all the HD space that needs
    >to be devoted to it, depending on how big a cache one desires for
    >System Restore or Go Back. Anyone who keeps many GB of files in his
    >"My Documents" folder should probably move it to the data drive.

    Yeah, I hate that "My Documents" concept. I do keep all programs on
    my C: drive. Got into that habit years ago when there was no control
    over letter-mapping of partitions (install another drive w a primary
    and D: turns into E:). Also, if registry entries are using SFN's
    (shortened file names), the mapping to the normal LFNs is maintained
    in the directory within the mapped image.

    Not sure why, but I've had some trouble when changing page files to
    a different drive. I may have encountered obscure opsys bugs that
    surfaced when the system was pushed. I've also noticed that as soon
    as XP hits the limit on RAM and starts swapping a lot, my systems will
    slow drastically (as expected) but never recover even when programs
    are unloaded. I used to run NT and Win2K for weeks without rebooting
    but I've got in the habit of rebooting XP every couple days just to
    clear out cobwebs.

    >2 -- The size of the partition has little to do with the size of the
    >image file created by Ghost or True Image. That comes into play only
    >when the partition is filled up so that no more bits can be written.
    >Only then would the size of the partition limit the size of the image
    >file. If one has only 10GB written, then the image file, after
    >compression, is going to be only about 8GB whether the partition is
    >10GB or 200 GB in size. (I know you understand this, but I wanted to
    >clarify it in case a newbie read the post.)
    >
    >Ron

    You're right, Ron, I could have been more clear about that. Also,
    the next generation (Longhorn) may require a larger C: partition, but
    it's fairly easy to change partition sizes these days. I did survive
    with XP + swap on a 15GB partition for quite a while. Just recently
    upped it to 25GB after programming tools started crowding. As you
    say, average users can probably get by with a lot less.

    LL

Asus SATA Motherboards