Power Supply doesn't work

The power supply doesn't seem to spin, although the internal green led on
the
motherboard actually comes on...showing that there is power going through
the board.

I thought it might be due to a sensor for the cpu fan- so I connected up the
CPU fan and still nothing. Any ideas? The motherboard is a A7N8X-X running
an AMD Sempro 2800+. Are there any other sensors one needs to consider??

- Kwaj

"Kwaj" <mongo@slade.com> wrote in message
> The power supply doesn't seem to spin, although the internal green led on
> the
> motherboard actually comes on...showing that there is power going through
> the board.
>
> I thought it might be due to a sensor for the cpu fan- so I connected up
> the
> CPU fan and still nothing. Any ideas? The motherboard is a A7N8X-X running
> an AMD Sempro 2800+. Are there any other sensors one needs to consider??
> - Kwaj

You mean the fan in the PSU does not spin? Did you hook up a monitor to see
what the screen says? Which PSU do you have?

"Kwaj" <mongo@slade.com> wrote in message
> The power supply doesn't seem to spin, although the internal green led on
> the
> motherboard actually comes on...showing that there is power going through
> the board.
>
> I thought it might be due to a sensor for the cpu fan- so I connected up
the
> CPU fan and still nothing. Any ideas? The motherboard is a A7N8X-X running
> an AMD Sempro 2800+. Are there any other sensors one needs to consider??
>

> - Kwaj

the green led on the motherboard is fed via a 5v output from the power
supply (seperated from the normal +5 rail). the green is a good sign that
the power supply is at least partially working.
If you hit your power switch on the case and find that the system does not
start or attempt to start then I would say that you possibly have not
connected the pw_switch lines correctly.
As it sounds like you didnt connect a cpu fan then I do not put much hope in
you getting this pc working..
Regards
rstlne

"Mark A" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> "Kwaj" <mongo@slade.com> wrote in message
> > The power supply doesn't seem to spin, although the internal green led
on
> > the
> > motherboard actually comes on...showing that there is power going
through
> > the board.
> >
> > I thought it might be due to a sensor for the cpu fan- so I connected up
> > the
> > CPU fan and still nothing. Any ideas? The motherboard is a A7N8X-X
running
> > an AMD Sempro 2800+. Are there any other sensors one needs to consider??
> > - Kwaj
> >
> You mean the fan in the PSU does not spin? Did you hook up a monitor to
see
> what the screen says? Which PSU do you have?

Also plug a pair of powered speakers into the green line-out jack socket
on the back, so you can hear the vocal POST messages. This should
operate even with a bad CPU or RAM.
HTH
--
Rob

Kwaj wrote:
> The power supply doesn't seem to spin, although the internal green led on
> the
> motherboard actually comes on...showing that there is power going through
> the board.
>
> I thought it might be due to a sensor for the cpu fan- so I connected up the
> CPU fan and still nothing. Any ideas? The motherboard is a A7N8X-X running
> an AMD Sempro 2800+. Are there any other sensors one needs to consider??
>

> - Kwaj

The light on the board being on only indicates that the motherboard is
receiving standby power. How do you know that the motherboard is even
receiving the power-on signal? Is the power switch hooked up right?

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada

indeed you were right. i worked it out not too long after posting. plugged
in the pw_switch and bingo
"rstlne" <rstlne@atatwhereherewheretherehuyeh.com> wrote in message

> "Kwaj" <mongo@slade.com> wrote in message
>> The power supply doesn't seem to spin, although the internal green led on
>> the
>> motherboard actually comes on...showing that there is power going through
>> the board.
>>
>> I thought it might be due to a sensor for the cpu fan- so I connected up
> the
>> CPU fan and still nothing. Any ideas? The motherboard is a A7N8X-X
>> running
>> an AMD Sempro 2800+. Are there any other sensors one needs to consider??
>>

>> - Kwaj
>>

> the green led on the motherboard is fed via a 5v output from the power
> supply (seperated from the normal +5 rail). the green is a good sign that
> the power supply is at least partially working.
> If you hit your power switch on the case and find that the system does not
> start or attempt to start then I would say that you possibly have not
> connected the pw_switch lines correctly.
> As it sounds like you didnt connect a cpu fan then I do not put much hope
> in
> you getting this pc working..
> Regards
> rstlne

no it wasn't it. fixed it though. thanks