95 upgrade

I have a 32mb pc currently running on Windows 98. Would
like to upgrade - would Windows XP run on this without
any problems or is it too small to take this. Can anyone
recommend what I would be able to upgrade to please?
Would appreciate answers by email please. Thanks

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

WAY TOO SMALL! You need at least 64MB or greater to run
XP 128 or higher recommended. 200Mhz processor or bigger
is recommended too! Go to
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp and choose which
edition you would like, and you can find the required
specs there!

Judy;
Windows XP requires a minimum of 64mb and 128mb recommended.
Processor must be at least 233mhz with 300mhz recommended.
Actually you should at least double those if you want Windows XP to
function well.
This will help:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/upgrading/default.mspx

Otherwise Windows 98 may be the best for you.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

"Judy" <judy.donelan@virgin.net> wrote in message
>I have a 32mb pc currently running on Windows 98. Would
> like to upgrade - would Windows XP run on this without
> any problems or is it too small to take this. Can anyone
> recommend what I would be able to upgrade to please?
> Would appreciate answers by email please. Thanks

An upgrade is quite possible, cost about $400. Just call
Dell and order a PC with XP, that will be cheaper than
buying a new motherboard that will support an adequate
amount of RAM and a CPU fast enough, and a new hard drive
big enough and the upgrade XP CD.
www.dell.com

"Judy" <judy.donelan@virgin.net> wrote in message
|I have a 32mb pc currently running on Windows 98. Would
| like to upgrade - would Windows XP run on this without
| any problems or is it too small to take this. Can anyone
| recommend what I would be able to upgrade to please?
| Would appreciate answers by email please. Thanks

Here is a simple example, though I would wait for a better deal than this:
http://www.fatwallet.com/t/18/357130/

----
Nathan McNulty

Jim Macklin wrote:
> An upgrade is quite possible, cost about $400. Just call
> Dell and order a PC with XP, that will be cheaper than
> buying a new motherboard that will support an adequate
> amount of RAM and a CPU fast enough, and a new hard drive
> big enough and the upgrade XP CD.
> www.dell.com

As others have said, your curent PC is too small/old for XP.

A cheap Dell or Gateway owuld be a better investment of your money, since
the retail verison of XP home edition costs about $200. Win 95 does not
qualify for the upgrade, which is half that price. Then, there is the new
RAM, disk, etc. Forget it.

If you can not spring for a new PC, think about upgrading to 98SE or maybe
even a LINUX distribution.

"Judy" <judy.donelan@virgin.net> wrote in message
>I have a 32mb pc currently running on Windows 98. Would
> like to upgrade - would Windows XP run on this without
> any problems or is it too small to take this. Can anyone
> recommend what I would be able to upgrade to please?
> Would appreciate answers by email please. Thanks

Looks OK, BTW, the free Dell 720 printer is made by Lexmark
but Dell is the only source for ink.