James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

my comp says it uses pc2700 ram so i bought so more ram and it kept crashing,
i looked at the ram and it said pc3200 so do i need pc3200 ram or can the
pc2700 work or was the ram bad.

The term PC 2100, PC 2700 or PC 3200 just means that the RAM
has been tested to operated at that data rate (speed)
properly. The motherboard determines the actual speed,
normally you can use RAM that is faster than that required.
If you try to use RAM that is rated too slow, the RAM may be
unstable and crash. If the RAM has a different chip layout,
CAS speed or other differences the system may crash because
the data rate is different in the two RAM modules.

"james" <james@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| my comp says it uses pc2700 ram so i bought so more ram
and it kept crashing,
| i looked at the ram and it said pc3200 so do i need pc3200
ram or can the
| pc2700 work or was the ram bad.

Find out exactly what your motherboard likes and needs by using one of the
memory configurators.... eg the one at www.crucial.com.

XP is particularly fussy about RAM... it doesn't like you mixing and
matching different speeds.
www.coribright.com

"james" <james@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> my comp says it uses pc2700 ram so i bought so more ram and it kept
> crashing,
> i looked at the ram and it said pc3200 so do i need pc3200 ram or can the
> pc2700 work or was the ram bad.

This usually depends on the quality of your motherboard. A good one
will clock both at the same speed and you will have no problems at all.
Windows shouldn't really get fussy since they should both be
performing at the same frequency and timings.

I would check the website of your motherbaord manufacturer for suggested
memory. ASUS is very good at listing compatible (well tested) RAM.
Most RAM should work with most computers as long as you match the
correct type (SDRAM, DDR RAM, RDRAM, ECC, non-ECC, etc.)

----
Nathan McNulty