Sempron 2800+ with A78NX-X

Hi,

recently built a new machine. it's up and running fine but it keeps showing
up as an Athlon 1200 Mhz cpu. I have moved the appropriate jumper settings
to allow for greater than 100Mhz FSB.

But the machine still shows up as simply a 1200 Mhz cpu.

I have gone into the bios and it gives me a couple of CPU settings. What
should i be setting it to get the machine to operate at 2800 Mhz?

CPU External Freq. (Mhz): Currently it is set to 200 Mhz
CPU Frequency Multiple settings: Currently set to [Auto]
CPU Frequency Multiple: Currently set to 12.0x
System Performance: Currently set to [Optimal]
CPU Interface: Currently set to [Optimal]
Memory Frequency: Currently set to [By SPD]

Also,

CPU Vcore setting: Currently set to [Auto]
CPU Vcore: Currently set [1.600V]

Would really like to get this up and running properly.

cheers

- Kingsley

Paul

Splendid

In article <4292dd04$0$5634$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au>,
"Kwaj" <k.oteng@REMOVENOSPAMstudent.unsw.edu.au> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> recently built a new machine. it's up and running fine but it keeps showing
> up as an Athlon 1200 Mhz cpu. I have moved the appropriate jumper settings
> to allow for greater than 100Mhz FSB.
>
> But the machine still shows up as simply a 1200 Mhz cpu.
>
> I have gone into the bios and it gives me a couple of CPU settings. What
> should i be setting it to get the machine to operate at 2800 Mhz?
>
> CPU External Freq. (Mhz): Currently it is set to 200 Mhz
> CPU Frequency Multiple settings: Currently set to [Auto]
> CPU Frequency Multiple: Currently set to 12.0x
> System Performance: Currently set to [Optimal]
> CPU Interface: Currently set to [Optimal]
> Memory Frequency: Currently set to [By SPD]
>
> Also,
>
> CPU Vcore setting: Currently set to [Auto]
> CPU Vcore: Currently set [1.600V]
>

> Would really like to get this up and running properly.
>
> cheers
>
> - Kingsley

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_11599_11604,00.html

Sempron Socket A 2800+
2.0 Ghz core clock
256KB (exclusive) L2 cache

This doc says Vcore is 1.6V and FSB333 is the normal FSB setting.
http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/31693.pdf

The 2800+ number is the P.R. or performance rating. That is how
fast an equivalent Celeron would have to run, to catch up.

Your core clock is 2000MHz, your external processor clock is 166MHz.
(External clock time 2 equals FSB.) The locked multiplier is 2000/166=12.

If you set the external CPU clock in the BIOS to 166, you should
get the rated speed of 2000MHz from the core.

Paul

Thanks. I actually got it to work earlier but it was registering 2.0Mhz. I
thought there was something wrong!!

the last time I built a machine...2.8Ghz meant "2.8Ghz".

> In article <4292dd04$0$5634$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au>,
> "Kwaj" <k.oteng@REMOVENOSPAMstudent.unsw.edu.au> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> recently built a new machine. it's up and running fine but it keeps
>> showing
>> up as an Athlon 1200 Mhz cpu. I have moved the appropriate jumper
>> settings
>> to allow for greater than 100Mhz FSB.
>>
>> But the machine still shows up as simply a 1200 Mhz cpu.
>>
>> I have gone into the bios and it gives me a couple of CPU settings. What
>> should i be setting it to get the machine to operate at 2800 Mhz?
>>
>> CPU External Freq. (Mhz): Currently it is set to 200 Mhz
>> CPU Frequency Multiple settings: Currently set to [Auto]
>> CPU Frequency Multiple: Currently set to 12.0x
>> System Performance: Currently set to [Optimal]
>> CPU Interface: Currently set to [Optimal]
>> Memory Frequency: Currently set to [By SPD]
>>
>> Also,
>>
>> CPU Vcore setting: Currently set to [Auto]
>> CPU Vcore: Currently set [1.600V]
>>

>> Would really like to get this up and running properly.
>>
>> cheers
>>
>> - Kingsley
>
> http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_11599_11604,00.html
>
> Sempron Socket A 2800+
> 2.0 Ghz core clock
> 256KB (exclusive) L2 cache
>
> This doc says Vcore is 1.6V and FSB333 is the normal FSB setting.
> http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/31693.pdf
>

> The 2800+ number is the P.R. or performance rating. That is how
> fast an equivalent Celeron would have to run, to catch up.
>
> Your core clock is 2000MHz, your external processor clock is 166MHz.
> (External clock time 2 equals FSB.) The locked multiplier is 2000/166=12.
>
> If you set the external CPU clock in the BIOS to 166, you should
> get the rated speed of 2000MHz from the core.
>
> Paul

Ed

Sure but it's not called a 2.8GHz, just like Intel's 540 isn't 540MHz.
;p

On Tue, 24 May 2005 21:14:34 +1000, "Kwaj"