DVD-ROM and CD-RW not working after upgrade

August 30, 2004 10:18:57 PM

I installed Windows XP Home Edition Upgrade over Win98 SE
August 20th. When I had Win98 on my system, I had a
generic 36X CD-ROM jumpered master and a Plexwriter
8/4/32A CD-RW jumpered slave on my secondary IDE. The 36X
CD-ROM was failing (lots of re-reads on installed CDs),
and I was going to replace it with an Artec 16X DVD-ROM I
bought after the WinXP upgrade. The WinXP upgrade went
great, but because the 36X CD-ROM was failing, I used the
Plexwriter CD-RW for the CD install. I then replaced the
36X CD-ROM with the Artec 16X DVD-ROM (jumpered master)
on secondary IDE cable. Oh, and by the way I have a WD 80
GB HD jumpered master and WD 40 GB HD jumpered slave on
the primary IDE buss. My bios detects all drives
correctly (Albatron KX600 pro w/Athlon 2600+), and all
detections for IDE in bios set to either 'enabled'
and/or 'auto'.
Windows XP also detects drives correctly (device manager)
with 'device enabled' and 'no conflicts'. They are
identified by drive letter (my computer) correctly, with
drive I: as 'DVD-ROM', and drive J: as 'CD-ROM' (hard
drive's partitioned C thru H). This is where the problem
starts: If I stick in ANY type of CD into the DVD-ROM, it
will ONLY read the CD when I first install the DVD-ROM
(I'll explain), but not after subsequent reboots. After a
reboot, the DVD-ROM will accept a CD, but will no longer
read it at all. Clicking on the DVD-ROM drive icon will
generate a 'Please insert a disk in drive I: (even though
I have a good one inserted) and trying to explore that
drive will either generate the sam 'insert' message, or a
blank display. When I remove the CD, the DVD-ROM icon in
my computer now changes to CD-ROM icon (from DVD-ROM
icon). The Plexwriter CD-RW reads fine, unless I move
(and jumper) the drive to the master on the secondary IDE
buss. Now I know what you're thinking, either bad
secondary IDE or corrupted drivers, but I've removed and
installed VIA bussmaster drivers, and even swapped the
hard drive IDE cable over to that secondary, and both HDs
work fine. I've actually done a lot of drive swapping
around (paying attention to jumpers, even trying cable
select), used other IDE cables, and even bought an SiII
PCI Ultra DMA controller card to try. The results are
that my bios detects all drives, the controller card
detects all drives connected to it, and whenever I move
the DVD-ROM to another IDE location, it works ONLY ON
THAT INITIAL INSTALL; the next computer boot-up and it no
longer reads ANY disks. I put the 'suspect' DVD-ROM in my
daughter's computer as a slave on the secondary IDE
channel, and it works fine...I put it back in this
computer, shoved in a Win98 startup floppy (with CD
support), and both the DVD-ROM and CD-RW read inserted
CD's fine...what can I try next? I also have SP2
installed...is there a software fix?
August 30, 2004 11:35:06 PM

I will re-post, as well as answer this question, with
other questions, as I have contacted Microsoft and I can
suggest a resolution. I will re-post and update, no later
than AUG 30 2004 7:45PM PST.

Anonymous
August 31, 2004 9:40:21 PM

With that many problems, I would recommend just saving all of your data
that you want to keep and doing a clean install of Windows XP. Just
boot off your XP CD, choose to format NTFS (Quick), and install Windows
XP over agian.

This requires that you reinstall all of your applications and reload all
of your data, but it would be worth it after all the trouble you are
going to go through to figure this out on a system that may have more
problems to deal with even after you fix this one.

----
Nathan McNulty

!