Cannot install my Monitor driver...Help please!

Thanks to XP SP2 I had to do a system repair on my VAIO PC and get
back to non-SP2 state.

However, now my monitor's rsolution is not correct.

I have an NEC MultiSync A700, I have downloaded the driver for it. But
when I go to the Display Settings box I cannot change my monitor, it
is stuck at Default Monitor and I can't change it, no matter what. The
Properties button is disabled. The display controller is set to VGA
and I can't change that either.

I have gone to Device manager and the monitor is not listed there and
I can't add it through the hardware wizard either.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what's up??

Thanks in advance for your help.

It is not the monitor driver that you need.. it is the video card driver..

"FrankBooth" <acg_acg@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Thanks to XP SP2 I had to do a system repair on my VAIO PC and get
> back to non-SP2 state.
>
> However, now my monitor's rsolution is not correct.
>
> I have an NEC MultiSync A700, I have downloaded the driver for it. But
> when I go to the Display Settings box I cannot change my monitor, it
> is stuck at Default Monitor and I can't change it, no matter what. The
> Properties button is disabled. The display controller is set to VGA
> and I can't change that either.
>
> I have gone to Device manager and the monitor is not listed there and
> I can't add it through the hardware wizard either.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas as to what's up??
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.

In order to be able to detect the monitor, the correct graphics drivers must
FIRST be installed. Download and install updated drivers for your graphics
card. Now the monitor should be able to be detected correctly.... and only
then can you install the driver for your monitor.
www.coribright.com

"FrankBooth" <acg_acg@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Thanks to XP SP2 I had to do a system repair on my VAIO PC and get
> back to non-SP2 state.
>
> However, now my monitor's rsolution is not correct.
>
> I have an NEC MultiSync A700, I have downloaded the driver for it. But
> when I go to the Display Settings box I cannot change my monitor, it
> is stuck at Default Monitor and I can't change it, no matter what. The
> Properties button is disabled. The display controller is set to VGA
> and I can't change that either.
>
> I have gone to Device manager and the monitor is not listed there and
> I can't add it through the hardware wizard either.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas as to what's up??
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.

Yes, first you need the correct graphics card drivers. Then you can use
Device Manager to install the Monitor drivers. After installing the
video card drivers and rebooting, open Device Manager again, expand
Monitors, double click on Default Monitor, then update the driver from
there pointing to the driver you downloaded.

----
Nathan McNulty