CD-ROM/DVD-ROM/CD-RW Drive problems

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

Posted beneath this following scenario, there will be a
resolution, as suggested by Microsoft, then more posts
relating to the scenario.

SCENARIO: DVD-ROM/CD-ROM/CD-ReWRITE DRIVE NOT WORKING
EITHER AFTER AN UPGRADE TO WINDOWS XP FROM A PREVIOUS
OPERATING SYSTEM, DEVICE NOT WORKING AFTER AN UPGRADE TO
WINDOWS XP SERVICE PACK 2, AND/OR DEVICE NOT WORKING
AFTER A HARDWARE OR SYSTEM CHANGE.

If: Your device stopped working after an upgrade from
(Windows 9x, Windows ME, Windows 2000)OR after ahardware
or system change
Then: You may need to check for compatability and
conflicts with other hardware devices, or the Operating
System. To check compatability for the operating system,
browse to http://www.microsoft.com/hcl.

If: Your device stopped working after an upgrade to SP2
Then: Check for an updated driver at your device
manufacturer website.
-----PAST POSTINGS ON THE ISSUE----
WRITTEN BY: RANDY AUG 30 2004 7:35PM PST.
----
I installed Windows XP Home Edition Upgrade over Win98 SE
August 20th. When I had Win98 on my system, I had a
generic 36X CD-ROM jumpered master and a Plexwriter
8/4/32A CD-RW jumpered slave on my secondary IDE. The 36X
CD-ROM was failing (lots of re-reads on installed CDs),
and I was going to replace it with an Artec 16X DVD-ROM I
bought after the WinXP upgrade. The WinXP upgrade went
great, but because the 36X CD-ROM was failing, I used the
Plexwriter CD-RW for the CD install. I then replaced the
36X CD-ROM with the Artec 16X DVD-ROM (jumpered master)
on secondary IDE cable. Oh, and by the way I have a WD 80
GB HD jumpered master and WD 40 GB HD jumpered slave on
the primary IDE buss. My bios detects all drives
correctly (Albatron KX600 pro w/Athlon 2600+), and all
detections for IDE in bios set to either 'enabled'
and/or 'auto'.
Windows XP also detects drives correctly (device manager)
with 'device enabled' and 'no conflicts'. They are
identified by drive letter (my computer) correctly, with
drive I: as 'DVD-ROM', and drive J: as 'CD-ROM' (hard
drive's partitioned C thru H). This is where the problem
starts: If I stick in ANY type of CD into the DVD-ROM, it
will ONLY read the CD when I first install the DVD-ROM
(I'll explain), but not after subsequent reboots. After a
reboot, the DVD-ROM will accept a CD, but will no longer
read it at all. Clicking on the DVD-ROM drive icon will
generate a 'Please insert a disk in drive I: (even though
I have a good one inserted) and trying to explore that
drive will either generate the sam 'insert' message, or a
blank display. When I remove the CD, the DVD-ROM icon in
my computer now changes to CD-ROM icon (from DVD-ROM
icon). The Plexwriter CD-RW reads fine, unless I move
(and jumper) the drive to the master on the secondary IDE
buss. Now I know what you're thinking, either bad
secondary IDE or corrupted drivers, but I've removed and
installed VIA bussmaster drivers, and even swapped the
hard drive IDE cable over to that secondary, and both HDs
work fine. I've actually done a lot of drive swapping
around (paying attention to jumpers, even trying cable
select), used other IDE cables, and even bought an SiII
PCI Ultra DMA controller card to try. The results are
that my bios detects all drives, the controller card
detects all drives connected to it, and whenever I move
the DVD-ROM to another IDE location, it works ONLY ON
THAT INITIAL INSTALL; the next computer boot-up and it no
longer reads ANY disks. I put the 'suspect' DVD-ROM in my
daughter's computer as a slave on the secondary IDE
channel, and it works fine...I put it back in this
computer, shoved in a Win98 startup floppy (with CD
support), and both the DVD-ROM and CD-RW read inserted
CD's fine...what can I try next? I also have SP2
installed...is there a software fix?
---
WRITTEN BY: RANDY (AUG 29 2004 4:08AM PDT)
I have a remarkably similar problem in that I just
installed an Artec 16x DVD-ROM drive with a Plexwriter
8/4/32A CD-RW already in use. My bios detects both drives
fine as does Windows XP, but the DVD-ROM only worked at
first install; and after that (even though detected) will
not read ANY disks. Windows XP reports 'no device
conflicts' and 'This device is working properly', but
that
is not true with the DVD-ROM (the CD-RW reads disks
fine).
I've tried multiple primary and secondary IDE connection
and jumper configurations with the same results; I even
went out and bought a PCI Ultra ATA IDE controller card,
put only the DVD-ROM over to it, and it WORKED!
Unfortunately, it only worked the first time (as before),
and after the next computer boot up, again can no longer
read ANY disks. Both drives reported fine by Win XP w/no
conflicts. HERE'S THE KICKER: IF I DISABLE THE CD-RW IN
WINDOWS DEVICE MANAGER, THE DVD-ROM STARTS WORKING FINE!
All my drivers are up to date. It appears there is some
sort of conflict between the drives, but it is beyond me
to figure out how to get both them to work at the same
time. I've tried all possible separations on the IDE
cables (and the PCI card), but that only results in one
or
the other device stopping working. Please, can someone
help me get both drives working at the same time?

WRITTEN BY: TONY (AUG 28 2004 3:50PM PDT)

---
WRITTEN BY: HARRY R AUG 30 2004 3:45PM PST.
---
OK, I am in a similar boat. I have two CD's. One is a DVD
reader which seems to work OK. The other is a Digital
Pacific DVD Writer I purchased in 1/04. Everything seems
to indicate it is working properly. When I open "My
Computer" the drive is indicated as a DVD-RW Drive and
the Type as a "CD Drive". When I insert a blank CD-R the
name changes to simply "CD Drive". Nero Express indicates
the CD is ok but will not burn a CD. I have installed SP2.

HELP!!

And your point is...?

I totaly agree. It is extremely difficult to help with questions that
take 15 minutes to read and still not figure out what you want.

----
Nathan McNulty

Wislu Plethora wrote:
> And your point is...?

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

You are only supposed to read the top. (approx 2-4mins.)
the rest are just past postings on the issue.