Can not burn CD: Please Insert an empty disc to write to ...

Hello,

First of all, sorry for the long post. I posted already
in this group regarding this problem.
Instead of continuing the post, I decided to summerize
everything I tried (with your help and suggestions -
Thanks for this) with the goal to centralize in one post
the problem that many of you have (I found tons of posts
or links through google related to this issue) BUT still
WITHOUT solution.
Sorry again for the administrators of this group, if you
feel I do it wrong, then accept my apologies and delete
this post.

The problem:

For weeks now, I can not always burn CDRs. The problem is
that any software I use is telling me to insert an empty
disc even if there is one in the drive.
For example in Nero, Nero is waiting for a disc with the
following window:

Please Insert an empty disc to write to ...
Disc required for the compilation: CDR-RW
Disc Type in the recorder: (Empty)

Same symptom if I'm using any other burning software or
the XP functionality to burn files.

Eject and retry does not help.

Now, the wired thing. Sometimes, but ONLY sometimes,
after a reboot and a quite long time before starting
again the machine (some hours), then I can burn ONE CDR,
but only ONE. This is burned correctly without errors.

My configuration:

The drive is a DVR-RW drive (HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GWA-4040N)
on an Acer Ferrari 3000 Laptop.
By searching on the web, it seems it is a LG Drive.
Firmware is up to date (I didn't change anything).
I'm using Windows XP Pro SP1a with all critical updates.

I tested it with Nero 6.3.1.7 then updated it to
6.3.1.20, Alcohol 120% 1.4.7, blindwrite 5.2.2.136 but in
fact it seems to be a windows problem as in the explorer
the new disc is also not recognised.

What works:

- I can burn DVD (+ and -) and CD-RW without problem (no
errors and perfectly readable)
- When I can burn a CDR, it doesn't matter what kind of
brand it is (Verbatim, maxell, Sony, TDK and nonames).
- I can read All type of media (CD, CD-RW, DVD-R, DVD+R)
and from any brand. This can be retail CD/DVDs or media
burned with this drive.
- The burned CD/DVDs can be read in other machine without
problem
- The drive itself is recognized in the explorer.
- The device is working properly (according to the Device
manager)

What I tried already:

- I already tried to enable/disable the "Enable CD
recording on this drive" (Recording tab of the Drive
properties).
- I checked that I have the latest ASPI drivers.
- I deinstalled the drive in the Device Manager console,
reboot and windows reinstalled it.
- Drivers are the last ones.

Answers to what was asked me or suggested already:

- I am not burning more than the size of the media
(basically let's say I'm burning a test CD with 50 MB on
a 700 MB CD. One time it works, one not as explained
before)
- The drive itself is recognized in the explorer.
- Eject the blank CD, wait more than 1 or 2 minutes
before reclosing the tray.
- Can boot with a CD (to exclude a hardware problem
(motor))

Something that may help:
- Sometimes inserting the blank CD and wait till it is
recognized makes the drive blinking (once per second more
or less) indefinitely. I have then to eject the CD and
retry.
- Using Norton Antivirus and Zone alarm. No virus on my
machine

Thanks a lot in advance for your suggestions/solutions
and your comments for the ones that have the same problem
and could not find a solution till now.
Maybe we could identify a XP bug and help other users
with this.

Didier Eychenne
..

If you are trying to write directly to the CD the CD must be formatted
first.

You need packet writing software to do this. Nero has IN-CD.

CD Creator has either Direct CD or Drag to Disk (depending upon which
version you are using).

--

Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

"Didier Eychenne" <didier@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> a 700 MB CD. One time it works, one not as explained
> before)
> - The drive itself is recognized in the explorer.
> - Eject the blank CD, wait more than 1 or 2 minutes
> before reclosing the tray.
> - Can boot with a CD (to exclude a hardware problem
> (motor))
>
> Something that may help:
> - Sometimes inserting the blank CD and wait till it is
> recognized makes the drive blinking (once per second more
> or less) indefinitely. I have then to eject the CD and
> retry.
> - Using Norton Antivirus and Zone alarm. No virus on my
> machine
>
> Thanks a lot in advance for your suggestions/solutions
> and your comments for the ones that have the same problem
> and could not find a solution till now.
> Maybe we could identify a XP bug and help other users

No, I 'm not trying to burn directly to the CD using
Direct CD or things like that.

I'm just trying to burn something on CDR (either a
compilation or an image). As explained in the main post,
sometimes it works , sometimes not with the same
compilation and the same CD brand..

Thanks for your help

Didier Eychenne

wrote in message
> [...]
>> before)
>> - The drive itself is recognized in the explorer.
>> - Eject the blank CD, wait more than 1 or 2 minutes
>> before reclosing the tray.
>> - Can boot with a CD (to exclude a hardware problem
>> (motor))
>>
>> Something that may help:
>> - Sometimes inserting the blank CD and wait till it is
>> recognized makes the drive blinking (once per second
more
>> or less) indefinitely. I have then to eject the CD and
>> retry.
>> - Using Norton Antivirus and Zone alarm. No virus on my
>> machine
>>
>> Thanks a lot in advance for your suggestions/solutions
>> and your comments for the ones that have the same
problem
>> and could not find a solution till now.
>> Maybe we could identify a XP bug and help other users

Hi I'm having a similar problem. My PC was fine - I could
burn CD-R's (and I can still burn DVD+R's). Basically I
think I made the mistake of trying to install IOMEGAWARE
so I could get some data off some old zip100 parallel
port disk drive I had.

I have found that when I look at all of my drivers for
disks that i have an "iomdisk.sys" present. I didn't have
any problems before this...!

I've uninstalled the iomegaware SW the iomdisk.sys is
still there!

Does anyone know how to hack the registry to stop all of
the IDE drives having the IOMDISK.SYS as a driver? I
really don't want to have to re-install the OS again...

I can se it in the
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentContrlSet\Services\iomdis

I tried deleting the key, but that caused all sorts of
problems. Re-installing Iomegaware put it back to the way
it is now... Blank CD-R's not detected.

[BTW I've tried using the CD-R's in other writers and
they work fine].

wrote in news:351201c48f49$1f152300$a601280a@phx.gbl:
<snip - long description of problem and attempted resolutions>

One possibility that I didn't see mentioned in your post (or I missed
it) is if you have tried better quality CD-R[W] media. Maybe you bought
a spindle of 100 CDs and are still using them during your testing or
while encountering this problem. Have you tried buying better quality
CD media to see if the problem still persists? If the CDs were
blue-hued, tried gray or gold colored CDs.

I tried quality cds (stated in the post already) as follow

- When I can burn a CDR, it doesn't matter what kind of
brand it is (Verbatim, maxell, Sony, TDK and nonames).

I will check the colors but, again, Verbatim and so on
are quality cds (I hope at least) and when I can burn
one, I could retry to burn the same compilation with the
same cd brand and it will not be recognized as blank cd.

tks for your suggestion

Didier

________
********
>Email: lh_811newsATyahooDOTcom and append "=NEWS=" to
Subject.
________

>.

I think I may have suggested this already, but if not here it goes.

Take the problem drive out, put it in a different computer and see if it
writes CD in that computer. This will determine if the problem is
Windows or your CD Writer. If it is Windows, instead of trying to hunt
down whatever is wrong, I would suggest a clean install of Windows. It
will actually end up saving you time in the end and you'll have a
smoother running Operating System.

----
Nathan McNulty

Didier Eychenne wrote:
> [...]
> a 700 MB CD. One time it works, one not as explained
> before)
> - The drive itself is recognized in the explorer.
> - Eject the blank CD, wait more than 1 or 2 minutes
> before reclosing the tray.
> - Can boot with a CD (to exclude a hardware problem
> (motor))
>
> Something that may help:
> - Sometimes inserting the blank CD and wait till it is
> recognized makes the drive blinking (once per second more
> or less) indefinitely. I have then to eject the CD and
> retry.
> - Using Norton Antivirus and Zone alarm. No virus on my
> machine
>
> Thanks a lot in advance for your suggestions/solutions
> and your comments for the ones that have the same problem
> and could not find a solution till now.
> Maybe we could identify a XP bug and help other users

ganesh

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2004

What about normal Cds? Can you *read* them?

Any problems with other cd types? DVD-RW, DVD+RW?

--
Visit My Website - http://www.bootstrike.com
"Life's a bìtch when you least expect it"
> [...]
> a 700 MB CD. One time it works, one not as explained
> before)
> - The drive itself is recognized in the explorer.
> - Eject the blank CD, wait more than 1 or 2 minutes
> before reclosing the tray.
> - Can boot with a CD (to exclude a hardware problem
> (motor))
>
> Something that may help:
> - Sometimes inserting the blank CD and wait till it is
> recognized makes the drive blinking (once per second more
> or less) indefinitely. I have then to eject the CD and
> retry.
> - Using Norton Antivirus and Zone alarm. No virus on my
> machine
>
> Thanks a lot in advance for your suggestions/solutions
> and your comments for the ones that have the same problem
> and could not find a solution till now.
> Maybe we could identify a XP bug and help other users

Yes, I stated in the post

> - I can burn DVD (+ and -) and CD-RW without problem (no
> errors and perfectly readable)
> - When I can burn a CDR, it doesn't matter what kind of
> brand it is (Verbatim, maxell, Sony, TDK and nonames).
> - I can read All type of media (CD, CD-RW, DVD-R, DVD+R)
> and from any brand. This can be retail CD/DVDs or media
> burned with this drive.

Tks

wrote in message
> [...]
>> before)
>> - The drive itself is recognized in the explorer.
>> - Eject the blank CD, wait more than 1 or 2 minutes
>> before reclosing the tray.
>> - Can boot with a CD (to exclude a hardware problem
>> (motor))
>>
>> Something that may help:
>> - Sometimes inserting the blank CD and wait till it is
>> recognized makes the drive blinking (once per second
more
>> or less) indefinitely. I have then to eject the CD and
>> retry.
>> - Using Norton Antivirus and Zone alarm. No virus on my
>> machine
>>
>> Thanks a lot in advance for your suggestions/solutions
>> and your comments for the ones that have the same
problem
>> and could not find a solution till now.
>> Maybe we could identify a XP bug and help other users

I've read somewhere that you should only install one program to burn CDR's.
Any more than one can sometimes confuse the poor old PC.
Might help to uninstall all but one. I use Nero 6 with no problems.
My 2 cents worth.

That is not true. I have had 3 DVD\CD Authoring programs on my system
at one time and they all worked just fine. I wasn't able to test
writing to two different drives using two different programs though...

----
Nathan McNulty

yeloduke wrote:
> I've read somewhere that you should only install one program to burn CDR's.
> Any more than one can sometimes confuse the poor old PC.
> Might help to uninstall all but one. I use Nero 6 with no problems.
> My 2 cents worth.

ganesh

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2004

- I can burn DVD (+ and -) and CD-RW without problem (no
> errors and perfectly readable)
> - When I can burn a CDR, it doesn't matter what kind of
> brand it is (Verbatim, maxell, Sony, TDK and nonames).
> - I can read All type of media (CD, CD-RW, DVD-R, DVD+R)
> and from any brand. This can be retail CD/DVDs or media
> burned with this drive.

Sorry missed it ... Did you try Windows XP's built in CD Writer?

Perhaps it is a problem with Nero if the buring with XP's one works?

Also - you did not mention whether you can *read* normal CD-Rs?

--
Visit My Website - http://www.bootstrike.com
"Life's a bìtch when you least expect it"

I believe you. I've had the same problem on at least 5 pc's at work now.
None of them have any third party burning software on them. 3 of them
(laptops) have been reimaged within the last 2 weeks. The other 2 were
at a different client site and just suddenly stopped working.

I am beginning to suspect that a critical update or something has
broken it. I have no other possible explanation as to why they would
all stop burning.

I've tried restarting the imapi service... reinstalled the drivers...
etc..

I've noticed that one of the laptops at one site and one of the
desktops at the other site, detect the drive correctly, but don't have
the 'Recording' tab under the drive properties.

Hans

--
hansmckay
hansmckay's Profile: http://extremetechsupport.com/forum/member.phtml?userid=482