Richard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I just installed a new K8n mobo with Sempron 3100+, etc. The problem I have
is when I go to install
Windows XP Home. The install program loads some setup files and then wants
to reboot. My problem is after
it loads the beginning setup files, and after reboot, it's still reading
from the CD and starts all over
again from the beginning of the install process. I'm caught in an endless
loop. If after the beginning install
process and when it wants to reboot, I thought maybe it needs to boot from
the HD since the beginning
install files are now on the HD. I then change it to boot from the HD but I
still get the same loop process.
My previous A7A266 never had this problem. Maybe this is a Windows problem
but it only started
happening with the K8n. Is there any wisdom that any one can share here?
Also, since I have
to set the bios to boot from the CD first, when should I reset the bios to
boot from the HD during the
install process since WinXp requires a few reboots when installing?

Thanks for any suggestions
Richard

BP

I've often read that the setup loop is caused by some hardware malfunction.
One of the devices in the machine is not working properly and the OS can't
resolve the error during setup. Try removing or unplugging all the devices
in the box except memory, video card, one HDD, cd-rom, floppy, mouse, and
keyboard and then try installing. Connect the other devices back after the
OS has installed and have Windows detect them. If setup still loops then you
may have a problem with one of the remaining devices. Check and recheck all
connections and jumpers. The most likely suspect is the memory. Try
reseating the modules.
For more info start here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811267
The boot order in bios is stepping. My boot order is Floppy, CD, HD,
Network. If there is no boot media in the floppy it checks the CD, no CD it
checks HD, no HD it checks the network. There is no need to change the boot
order during installation other than setting CD to boot before HD. You may
want to change the boot order to your own preference after installation is
complete.