A7N8X - installing hw and usb trouble

Hi.
I am having a bit of a trick with my mb and hw installations in winxp pro.
My windows installation has been around for some time now, and I kind of
like it.
-so a reinstall of winxp at present is no issue, really.
Therefore I would like to try and find the problem and solve it the hard
way first.

Whenever I add new hw that needs to install drivers of a kind, my
machine simply can not find them automatically.
I have to use the manual way, and i.e. point to my c:\windows\inf
catalog -or where the drivers are located elsewhere for that matter.
It's like it somehowe have noe idea that the inf folder is in fact a
good place to look first. This causes sometimes a bit of a mess in
installations, especially when there are several driver versions etc. to
choose from.

Furthermore; my mb has trouble with a shortage of usb ports. Usb 1-2 and
3-4 are long taken, and the other day I strode forward to put in use the
long forgotten usb 5-6 plug on the mb. Since it's been a while since the
mb was purchased and installed, I looked in vain for the original extra
usb port cable set. I took a "regular" one forward, and controlled the
mb book. To my surprise I found that the usb plug for 5-6 doesn't use
the same wire placement as the regular one I found. I checked Hardware
book, and found that A7N8X used the same order from left to right on
both sides for this usb plug.
usb+5v(red)/usb-(white)/usb+(green)/GND(black). On the one I found, the
colors whent in loop, like; red/wh/gr/bl/bl/ - bl/bl/gr/wh/red.
So I made it so it should fit the specs, but to no awail. My machine
does not react to plugging and unplugging of these ports, so something
is amiss.
Maybe I sqrewed around with the wires too much, and blew something up,
but nothing smells foul or otherwise broken. Later I found a new usb
wire with a plug that matches the color(blue) on the plug on the mb and
has a similar wire placement as the book says. But still no reaction.

Any good ideas? -besides reinstall, new mb etc. etc. ;-)

Best regards
Tony K.

bill

In article <4294ed52$1@news.broadpark.no>, ttkongsmark@broadpark.no
says...

<snip>
> Any good ideas? -besides reinstall, new mb etc. etc. ;-)
>
> Best regards
> Tony K.

Did you enable the ports in the bios?

Bill

"Bill" <spamtrap@tinlc.lumbercartel.com> skrev i melding
> In article <4294ed52$1@news.broadpark.no>, ttkongsmark@broadpark.no
> says...
>
> <snip>
>> Any good ideas? -besides reinstall, new mb etc. etc. ;-)
>>
>> Best regards
>> Tony K.
>>

> Did you enable the ports in the bios?
>
> Bill

I can't find any options in bios to enable usb 5-6....
Only usb options in bios for usb is version of usb (none - 1.1 and 2 or only
2), and usb legacy for keyboard and mouse.
Am I missing something?

Tony

bill

In article <4295c151@news.broadpark.no>, tony@myhreskilt.no says...

> "Bill" <spamtrap@tinlc.lumbercartel.com> skrev i melding
> > In article <4294ed52$1@news.broadpark.no>, ttkongsmark@broadpark.no
> > says...
> >
> > <snip>
> >> Any good ideas? -besides reinstall, new mb etc. etc. ;-)
> >>
> >> Best regards
> >> Tony K.
> >>

> > Did you enable the ports in the bios?
> >
> > Bill
>
> I can't find any options in bios to enable usb 5-6....
> Only usb options in bios for usb is version of usb (none - 1.1 and 2 or only
> 2), and usb legacy for keyboard and mouse.
> Am I missing something?
>
> Tony

No, I was thinking of another board, sorry. The setting should say 1.1
and 2 though. There are some USB power jumpers. You might check to see
if USBPWR_56 is set correctly. Also, I pulled my old A7N8X Deluxe out
of the closet and the USB 56 connector panel I have packed with it has
the connectors sitting on a little PCB board that the USB cable
connects to, so it may be something proprietary that a regular
connector won't work.

You might try uninstalling all the USB ports from the Device Manager
and then reboot and let Windows to find new hardware or manually tell
it too and reinstall the drivers. You could always run a powered USB
hub off one of the other ports.

Bill

Bill wrote:
> In article <4295c151@news.broadpark.no>, tony@myhreskilt.no says...
>
>>"Bill" <spamtrap@tinlc.lumbercartel.com> skrev i melding
>>
>>>In article <4294ed52$1@news.broadpark.no>, ttkongsmark@broadpark.no
>>>says...
>>>
>>><snip>

>>>Did you enable the ports in the bios?
>>>
>>>Bill
>>
>>I can't find any options in bios to enable usb 5-6....
>>Only usb options in bios for usb is version of usb (none - 1.1 and 2 or only
>>2), and usb legacy for keyboard and mouse.
>>Am I missing something?
>>
>>Tony
>>

> No, I was thinking of another board, sorry. The setting should say 1.1
> and 2 though. There are some USB power jumpers. You might check to see
> if USBPWR_56 is set correctly. Also, I pulled my old A7N8X Deluxe out
> of the closet and the USB 56 connector panel I have packed with it has
> the connectors sitting on a little PCB board that the USB cable
> connects to, so it may be something proprietary that a regular
> connector won't work.
>
> You might try uninstalling all the USB ports from the Device Manager
> and then reboot and let Windows to find new hardware or manually tell
> it too and reinstall the drivers. You could always run a powered USB
> hub off one of the other ports.
>
> Bill

Check to make sure the jumpers fit tight on the USBPWR_56 pins. I had
the same problem on my brand new P4P800-X. I changed out the jumpers &
the ports worked just fine.

1980firebirdREMOVE@sbcglobal.net skrev:

> Check to make sure the jumpers fit tight on the USBPWR_56 pins. I had
> the same problem on my brand new P4P800-X. I changed out the jumpers &
> the ports worked just fine.

I will try that.

BTW -remove and reinstall the usb ports sounds like a reasonable good idea.
However; my windows tends to give me a hard time with those driver
locations etc. But in the end I may have to try this too.

Have a nice weekend.
Tony K.