USB flash disk not working after installing Plus! Portable..

Windows XP Pro

Installed the Microsoft Plus! Portable Media Device power toy, but did not
like it so uninstalled it. Now my USB flash disk does not work with the
following symptoms:
1. The disk is recognised, and the computer goes ping in the correct way for
new hardware
2. An unnamed disk is briefly displayed, then disappears.
3. I can access the disk via drive letter, but cannot see it in explorer
(weird!)
4. Can see the device in the management console
5. The drive cannot write long filenames, but can read them

Any help much appreciated to getting the flash disk back up and running.

Have you tried reformatting the unit while it is attached to your computer?

Bobby

"One too many" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Windows XP Pro
>
> Installed the Microsoft Plus! Portable Media Device power toy, but did not
> like it so uninstalled it. Now my USB flash disk does not work with the
> following symptoms:
> 1. The disk is recognised, and the computer goes ping in the correct way
> for
> new hardware
> 2. An unnamed disk is briefly displayed, then disappears.
> 3. I can access the disk via drive letter, but cannot see it in explorer
> (weird!)
> 4. Can see the device in the management console
> 5. The drive cannot write long filenames, but can read them
>
> Any help much appreciated to getting the flash disk back up and running.

Thanks for the reply. Took a couple of days till I had the memory stick back
with the problem computer to see what would happen.

Gave it a go, but tricky, as no device showed in my computer. Had to use
command prompt:

The type of file system is FAT.
Verifying 60M
An unspecified error occurred.

The problem is a driver issue on the computer, as I get this no matter which
memory stick I use. All the sticks work perfectly on other computers.

"NoNoBadDog!" <mypants_bjsledgeATpixi.com> wrote in message
> Have you tried reformatting the unit while it is attached to your
computer?

> Bobby
>
> "One too many" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Windows XP Pro
> >
> > Installed the Microsoft Plus! Portable Media Device power toy, but did
not
> > like it so uninstalled it. Now my USB flash disk does not work with the
> > following symptoms:
> > 1. The disk is recognised, and the computer goes ping in the correct way
> > for
> > new hardware
> > 2. An unnamed disk is briefly displayed, then disappears.
> > 3. I can access the disk via drive letter, but cannot see it in explorer
> > (weird!)
> > 4. Can see the device in the management console
> > 5. The drive cannot write long filenames, but can read them
> >
> > Any help much appreciated to getting the flash disk back up and running.

TRENDING THREADS