XP Network

I tried to set up a network between my Desktop (running XP
Home) and my wife's Laptop (running XP Professional).

I have an ASUS motherboard with NVIDIA Force 2 which I
believe should handle things in the desktop. The laptop
is set to network at my wife's place of employment so this
should be OK. When I have set up the network, everything
on the laptop is OK and clicking on Mt Network Places in
Explorer reveals the "HOME" workgroup as expected. When I
set it up on the desktop, it say I have been successful
but when I try to look at the other computers on the
network, I get a message telling me that I do not have
permission and that I should contact my Server
administrator. Also, My Network Places in Explorer
appears to be empty. Can you help.

To network these two machines you need to ahve the same
username/passwrod on both machines.

First: Make sure both systems have the same username/password combination. You
do not have to log into the system you are accessing, only the one you are on.
(Win9x users must always log in.)

Second: Although all systems don't have to be in the same workgroup (but it
helps), all systems that you want to be listed in the workgroup must be sharing
something. Think of it like this: Network Neighborhood is an advertising
listing. If you don't have anything to advertise, you don't have a need to have
a listing.

courtney sends...

It has nothing to do with passwords or user names. Try this on both
machines:

Click Start-Control Panel-Network Setup Wizard (This may only be in SP2)

If so, go Start-Control Panel-Network Connections, then click on Setup a
Home or Small Office Network in the upper left.

Follow this through the whole process until you come to the option to
turn on file and printer sharing. Turn it on, make sure both are set to
the same workgroup and go from there.

Also, you may need to allow this sharing in your firewall if you have one ;)

----
Nathan McNulty

Courtney wrote:
> anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com wrote:
>
>> To network these two machines you need to ahve the same
>> username/passwrod on both machines.

MJ

Roly, Have you updated to SP2 yet? I had the same
situation with SP1 and am using a wireless network. XP
Home on 2 computers and Professional on the other. After
I updated to SP2 I set up a new network on all computers
and everything worked just fine. I hope this helps.