Problem Sharing files and Printer

dknystud23

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2002
I'm running Windows XP the whole drive is NTFS, and I'm running Windows 98 Fat 32. I set up my network place on windows XP, and windows XP can see my other computer and access the files on it. The Windows 98 computer when I goto network neighbor hood and try to access the shared files on my windows 98 comp it can't see them. I used the windows xp cd to set up the network on windows 98 comp and it worked fine. Do I need to change my hard drive to fat 32??? Why can't it see the printer. how should I partition my computer?? Bootsector fat 32 and the other folders ntfs?? Please help

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
file system has nothing to do with it. First question: can the 98 PC ping the XP PC?

Also, is the firewall on the XP PC disabled?

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

dknystud23

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2002
My firewall is disabled on my xp comp, and I can see it when I ping. If I search for the win xp comp from win 98 I can see it but can't access it. When i ping it goes through from my win 98 comp to my win xp comp

bobbins2k

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2003
If xp pc can browse the 98 the network is most likely working ok. If you can ping everything is ok at a hardware level and base application level.
If you can browse throught network neighbor hood on the 98 pc and see the xp but not browse it try the following things.

On XP Pc is File/ Print sharing enabled it should be by default.

Have you shared any folders or printers on the xp pc?

Make sure logon to the 98 pc and do not press cancell

XP uses win2k security. Create a user on the xp pc that matches the username and password you logon to you 98 pc with. this will allow the 98 pc to authenticate with the xp automatically.