USB/A7V600-X

Got this board, hooked up everything and after a few setup problems I got
everything ironed out except USB. I'm running Win98se. The USB devices are a
UMAX Astra 2100u(USB ver.1.1) and a Lexar multi-card reader(USB ver.2.0). I
loaded the latest drivers from ASUS. The reader show up in Device Manager(it
says the device is working properly) and Windows Explorer. When I try to
copy anything to the card in the reader it says the device is not ready. The
scanner does not show up in Device Manager. The Vistascan utility loads in
SysTray but it has a slash through it. Any help with this matter is
appreciated. Greg T
3 answers Last reply
More about a7v600

    http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=32&threadid=1598849&enterthread=y

    Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/ASUS-USB-A7V600-ftopict56472.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=284106

    In article <9uvle.19662$tM3.17236@twister.nyroc.rr.com>, "GregT"
    <gtyksin1@twcnyNOSPAM.rr.com> wrote:

    > Got this board, hooked up everything and after a few setup problems I got
    > everything ironed out except USB. I'm running Win98se. The USB devices are a
    > UMAX Astra 2100u(USB ver.1.1) and a Lexar multi-card reader(USB ver.2.0). I
    > loaded the latest drivers from ASUS. The reader show up in Device Manager(it
    > says the device is working properly) and Windows Explorer. When I try to
    > copy anything to the card in the reader it says the device is not ready. The
    > scanner does not show up in Device Manager. The Vistascan utility loads in
    > SysTray but it has a slash through it. Any help with this matter is
    > appreciated. Greg T

    This page mentions the 242L driver from Via. I think the 257
    on the Asus download page is for a similar purpose.
    http://www.usbman.com/USB%202%20News.htm?PageID=149 (see "VIA USB 2.0")

    Installed this driver ? This is on the Asus download page.
    VIA USB 2.0 Host Controller Drivers V2.57 for Windows 98SE/ME/2000/XP

    The Lexar has a driver for Win98. The Lexar quick start guide says
    to install this before plugging in the Lexar device.
    http://www.lexar.com/readers/multi.html
    http://www.lexar.com/drivers/index.html#usb2.0
    http://www.lexar.com/drivers/files/win%20driver%20for%20RW018.zip

    You could experiment with install order. Uninstall Lexar software.
    Uninstall Vistascan utility.

    On these pages, follow the "cleanup in Safe Mode" recipe.

    http://www.usbman.com/Troubleshooter%20General.htm
    http://www.usbman.com/Guides/Cleanup%20Device%20Manager%20Safe%20Mode.htm

    Install VIA USB package.
    Install Lexar package and Vistascan.
    Plug in USB devices and test them.

    That is what I would try.

    Paul

    "forumposter32" wrote:
    > http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=32&threadid=1598849&enterthread=y

    Ah, sorry, there’s a way better link than that. Ha!
    http://www.usbman.com/win98seusbguide.htm

    This is just part of what is on that page:

    Preventing USB Problems in Win98 SE

    Bios Setup

    Power Management - Disabled

    IRQs Assigned - Auto

    Plug and Play OS - Enabled (Disabling this option can cause IRQ
    Steering problems in Win98SE)

    USB Keyboard - Enabled

    Assign IRQ for USB - Disabled (Some systems require this feature to be
    Enabled)

    Resource Conflicts - Windows Device Manager / Resource Tab

    Check each of the four boxes for conflicts

    IRQs (USB does NOT like to share its IRQ with other devices)

    DMA

    I/O

    Memory

    Windows Settings That Effect USB

    IRQ Steering - Use IRQ Steering

    Properly Enabled IRQ Steering

    Disable USB Error Detection

    Screen Shot <----- link on the site

Asus Device Manager USB Devices Motherboards