AGP 4x videocard shows as PCIx0 in XP

Paul

Splendid

Hi all,

I've got an AGP 4x videocard on the other PC here.

The system (ASUS P4S8X-X), supports 4x is in the BIOS.

According to the manual this mobo can go to 8x AGP.

Its set to 4x at the mo.

The AGP card has 3 little leds on the videocard. (Geforce 2 MX400)

Power, error, and 4x. The power and 4x leds light up.

BUT when u go to the desktop / properties/settings/advanced/the card (the
Nvidia 71.89 drivers are installed).

Instead of showing the speed opposite bus (AGP 4x) here it says pcix0?

Would it be the wrong version of the Nvidia drivers, thats making it do
this??

The system works fine, it runs and u can get into windows xp.

I've tried 2 videocards, on this PC and it says the same thing.

Anyone seen or heard of this before?

The card is enumerated on the PCIx0 bus...usually 1 and 0. Normal.
Nothing to get excited about.

Bobby

"Paul" <goneouttolunch@home.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I've got an AGP 4x videocard on the other PC here.
>
> The system (ASUS P4S8X-X), supports 4x is in the BIOS.
>
> According to the manual this mobo can go to 8x AGP.
>
> Its set to 4x at the mo.
>
> The AGP card has 3 little leds on the videocard. (Geforce 2 MX400)
>
> Power, error, and 4x. The power and 4x leds light up.
>
> BUT when u go to the desktop / properties/settings/advanced/the card (the
> Nvidia 71.89 drivers are installed).
>
> Instead of showing the speed opposite bus (AGP 4x) here it says pcix0?
>
> Would it be the wrong version of the Nvidia drivers, thats making it do
> this??
>
> The system works fine, it runs and u can get into windows xp.
>
> I've tried 2 videocards, on this PC and it says the same thing.
>
> Anyone seen or heard of this before?

muttley

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2004

"Paul" <goneouttolunch@home.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I've got an AGP 4x videocard on the other PC here.
>
> The system (ASUS P4S8X-X), supports 4x is in the BIOS.
>
> According to the manual this mobo can go to 8x AGP.
>
> Its set to 4x at the mo.
>
> The AGP card has 3 little leds on the videocard. (Geforce 2 MX400)
>
> Power, error, and 4x. The power and 4x leds light up.
>
> BUT when u go to the desktop / properties/settings/advanced/the card (the
> Nvidia 71.89 drivers are installed).
>
> Instead of showing the speed opposite bus (AGP 4x) here it says pcix0?
>
> Would it be the wrong version of the Nvidia drivers, thats making it do
> this??
>
> The system works fine, it runs and u can get into windows xp.
>
> I've tried 2 videocards, on this PC and it says the same thing.
>
> Anyone seen or heard of this before?

Make sure you have the SIS AGP drivers installed.

John S.

Paul

Splendid

In article <d76fbf$akb$1@lust.ihug.co.nz>, "Paul"
<goneouttolunch@home.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've got an AGP 4x videocard on the other PC here.
>
> The system (ASUS P4S8X-X), supports 4x is in the BIOS.
>
> According to the manual this mobo can go to 8x AGP.
>
> Its set to 4x at the mo.
>
> The AGP card has 3 little leds on the videocard. (Geforce 2 MX400)
>
> Power, error, and 4x. The power and 4x leds light up.
>
> BUT when u go to the desktop / properties/settings/advanced/the card (the
> Nvidia 71.89 drivers are installed).
>
> Instead of showing the speed opposite bus (AGP 4x) here it says pcix0?
>
> Would it be the wrong version of the Nvidia drivers, thats making it do
> this??
>
> The system works fine, it runs and u can get into windows xp.
>
> I've tried 2 videocards, on this PC and it says the same thing.
>
> Anyone seen or heard of this before?

The bottom line is, does the card do everything it is supposed to.

I like Powerstrip ( http://www.entechtaiwan.net/util/ps.shtm ) as
a status tool, as it will tell you whether AGP texture transfer
is working or not. It will also tell you the AGP transfer rate.

To get 3D programs working properly, typically takes chipset
drivers (AGP miniport/GART driver, like the 117 on the download
page), video card driver, and DirectX. After you've installed
all of those, examine the results with Powerstrip (use the
Options menu item from the taskbar popup).

Some chipsets have a little 'tuning" application, that allows
changing settings in Windows - the application is actually editting
registry entries. I don't know if the SIS has something like that
or not - I think I had an ALI chipset that had a feature like that.
ATI has something similar, in their SmartGART tab, and that tab
allows AGP properties to be controlled.

I use Powerstrip just for the monitoring feature, and uninstall it
after everything is reported as working.

HTH,
Paul

Paul

Splendid

Oh ok then Bob. Ta.

Why would the ASUS site have SIS AGP drivers for this mobo??

Wouldnt SIS AGP drivers be for onboard video, which
this mobo hasnt got?? Its got 1 AGP 8x slot and 6 PCI slots.

The mobo has a SIS chipset AFAIK. According to the manual tho.
North/Southbridge are SIS 648 and SIS 963.

And the LAN is SIS 963 according to the manual.

This is the title on the ASUS site

SiS AGP WHQL Drivers for Windows 98SE/ME/2000/XP V7.2.0.1170

"NoNoBadDog!" <mypants_bjsledgeATpixi.com> wrote in message
> The card is enumerated on the PCIx0 bus...usually 1 and 0. Normal.
> Nothing to get excited about.
>
> Bobby
>
> "Paul" <goneouttolunch@home.com> wrote in message
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've got an AGP 4x videocard on the other PC here.
>>
>> The system (ASUS P4S8X-X), supports 4x is in the BIOS.
>>
>> According to the manual this mobo can go to 8x AGP.
>>
>> Its set to 4x at the mo.
>>
>> The AGP card has 3 little leds on the videocard. (Geforce 2 MX400)
>>
>> Power, error, and 4x. The power and 4x leds light up.
>>
>> BUT when u go to the desktop / properties/settings/advanced/the card (the
>> Nvidia 71.89 drivers are installed).
>>
>> Instead of showing the speed opposite bus (AGP 4x) here it says pcix0?
>>
>> Would it be the wrong version of the Nvidia drivers, thats making it do
>> this??
>>
>> The system works fine, it runs and u can get into windows xp.
>>
>> I've tried 2 videocards, on this PC and it says the same thing.
>>
>> Anyone seen or heard of this before?

> News==----
> Newsgroups
> =----

The card is an AGP card. The AGP bus is enumerated as a PCI to share the
timing. As you yourself stated, it is working properly. It is working as
an AGP card. It is enumerated in the device manager as a PCI device in
order to prevent cross-timing errors, but it is using the AGP bus for I/O.
If it were not so, you would get a boot error, as it would thing there was
no video card installed.

What you are seeing is normal.

You are getting concerned about something that you should not be getting
concerned about. The drivers are AGP, The card is AGP, the bus is AGP.
Windows, the OS, just enumerates it as a PCI device for control of certain
control codes. Nothing to worry about. If Windows thought it was a PCI
card, you would have no image on your screen. Windows would not boot.

I desperately want you to understand that it is only windows enumeration
that "sees" it as a PCI device.
*YES* the cad is an AGP card.
*YES* it is attached to the motherboard through the AGP connector.
*YES* you will be using AGP drivers for the card.
*YES* the card is functioning normally.
*YES* in certain areas windows will list it as a PCI device.
*YES* this in normal
*NO* it does not mean that windows thinks it is a PCI device.
*NO* you are not losing anything when you see it enumerated on a PCI bus.
*NO* you should not worry yourself over it any more.

> Oh ok then Bob. Ta.
>
> Why would the ASUS site have SIS AGP drivers for this mobo??
>
> Wouldnt SIS AGP drivers be for onboard video, which
> this mobo hasnt got?? Its got 1 AGP 8x slot and 6 PCI slots.
>
> The mobo has a SIS chipset AFAIK. According to the manual tho.
> North/Southbridge are SIS 648 and SIS 963.
>
> And the LAN is SIS 963 according to the manual.
>
> This is the title on the ASUS site
>
> SiS AGP WHQL Drivers for Windows 98SE/ME/2000/XP V7.2.0.1170
>
> "NoNoBadDog!" <mypants_bjsledgeATpixi.com> wrote in message
>> The card is enumerated on the PCIx0 bus...usually 1 and 0. Normal.
>> Nothing to get excited about.
>>
>> Bobby
>>
>> "Paul" <goneouttolunch@home.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I've got an AGP 4x videocard on the other PC here.
>>>
>>> The system (ASUS P4S8X-X), supports 4x is in the BIOS.
>>>
>>> According to the manual this mobo can go to 8x AGP.
>>>
>>> Its set to 4x at the mo.
>>>
>>> The AGP card has 3 little leds on the videocard. (Geforce 2 MX400)
>>>
>>> Power, error, and 4x. The power and 4x leds light up.
>>>
>>> BUT when u go to the desktop / properties/settings/advanced/the card
>>> (the
>>> Nvidia 71.89 drivers are installed).
>>>
>>> Instead of showing the speed opposite bus (AGP 4x) here it says pcix0?
>>>
>>> Would it be the wrong version of the Nvidia drivers, thats making it do
>>> this??
>>>
>>> The system works fine, it runs and u can get into windows xp.
>>>
>>> I've tried 2 videocards, on this PC and it says the same thing.
>>>
>>> Anyone seen or heard of this before?

>> News==----
>> http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+
>> Newsgroups
>> =----

Paul

Splendid

Ok ta Bob. Say no more. Thanx again!

> The card is an AGP card. The AGP bus is enumerated as a PCI to share the
> timing. As you yourself stated, it is working properly. It is working as
> an AGP card. It is enumerated in the device manager as a PCI device in
> order to prevent cross-timing errors, but it is using the AGP bus for I/O.
> If it were not so, you would get a boot error, as it would thing there was
> no video card installed.
>
> What you are seeing is normal.
>
> You are getting concerned about something that you should not be getting
> concerned about. The drivers are AGP, The card is AGP, the bus is AGP.
> Windows, the OS, just enumerates it as a PCI device for control of certain
> control codes. Nothing to worry about. If Windows thought it was a PCI
> card, you would have no image on your screen. Windows would not boot.
>
> I desperately want you to understand that it is only windows enumeration
> that "sees" it as a PCI device.
> *YES* the cad is an AGP card.
> *YES* it is attached to the motherboard through the AGP connector.
> *YES* you will be using AGP drivers for the card.
> *YES* the card is functioning normally.
> *YES* in certain areas windows will list it as a PCI device.
> *YES* this in normal
> *NO* it does not mean that windows thinks it is a PCI device.
> *NO* you are not losing anything when you see it enumerated on a PCI bus.
> *NO* you should not worry yourself over it any more.
>
> Bobby
>
> "Paul" <goneouttolunch@home.com> wrote in message
>> Oh ok then Bob. Ta.
>>
>> Why would the ASUS site have SIS AGP drivers for this mobo??
>>
>> Wouldnt SIS AGP drivers be for onboard video, which
>> this mobo hasnt got?? Its got 1 AGP 8x slot and 6 PCI slots.
>>
>> The mobo has a SIS chipset AFAIK. According to the manual tho.
>> North/Southbridge are SIS 648 and SIS 963.
>>
>> And the LAN is SIS 963 according to the manual.
>>
>> This is the title on the ASUS site
>>
>> SiS AGP WHQL Drivers for Windows 98SE/ME/2000/XP V7.2.0.1170
>>
>> "NoNoBadDog!" <mypants_bjsledgeATpixi.com> wrote in message
>>> The card is enumerated on the PCIx0 bus...usually 1 and 0. Normal.
>>> Nothing to get excited about.
>>>
>>> Bobby
>>>
>>> "Paul" <goneouttolunch@home.com> wrote in message

>>> News==----
>>> http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+
>>> Newsgroups
>>> ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption
>>> =----

> News==----
> Newsgroups
> =----

Paul

Splendid

Yup, I got it fixed.

Obviously, I missed installing the SIS AGP drivers.

I've installed these now.

NOW, it shows AGP 4x under properties on the desktop!