Recovering files

Here we go, I installed a new 120 gig hardrive in my
gateway, using NTFS as the formatting and using win Xp. I
have a 20 gig hardrive running win ME :( with a FAT32
formatted drive. The XP is my primary and the ME is the
slave. Ok, Xp sees the slave drive, but I cannot access
anything from the slave. What am I doing wrong? Or is
this even possible to do? Thank you for all your Help!!!

Jason
6 answers Last reply
More about recovering files

    Jason;
    Verify BOTH drives have the jumpers correctly set.
    Disk Management:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=309000

    Take Ownership, #9 on this link:
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/adsecurity.htm

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]

    "Jason" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Here we go, I installed a new 120 gig hardrive in my
    > gateway, using NTFS as the formatting and using win Xp. I
    > have a 20 gig hardrive running win ME :( with a FAT32
    > formatted drive. The XP is my primary and the ME is the
    > slave. Ok, Xp sees the slave drive, but I cannot access
    > anything from the slave. What am I doing wrong? Or is
    > this even possible to do? Thank you for all your Help!!!
    >
    > Jason

    Thanks Jupiter Jones, I was told that XP automatically
    configured that. I will try the correct jumpering. One
    more thing, NTFS shouldn't have a problem recoginizing
    the FAT32 formatting should it? My goal is to pull my
    files from the 20gig and store them on my 120gig. Thanks
    for all the help!

    Thanks,
    Jason

    Jason;
    You should have no problem reading the FAT32 data.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]

    > Thanks Jupiter Jones, I was told that XP automatically
    > configured that. I will try the correct jumpering. One
    > more thing, NTFS shouldn't have a problem recoginizing
    > the FAT32 formatting should it? My goal is to pull my
    > files from the 20gig and store them on my 120gig. Thanks
    > for all the help!
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Jason

    I have a few questions because the wording can be taken a couple of
    different ways. First, I don't believe there is any need for taking
    ownership of a drive that has been formatted as FAT32 since it doesn't
    have the security features of NTFS. Second, are you trying to access
    the XP Drive from Windows ME? To do this, you will need an NTFS driver
    for Windows ME from here (I think):
    http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/ntfswin98.shtml

    I haven't used Windows ME since I had it on my system for a whole 3 days
    before I went back to Windows 98 SE, so I may be a little off on the post :)

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    Jupiter Jones [MVP] wrote:
    > Jason;
    > You should have no problem reading the FAT32 data.

    Nathan;
    You are correct Ownership should not be an issue, I put that just in
    case something was missed.
    It also sounds like the OP is attempting to read a Windows ME drive
    with Windows XP which also should be no problem other than possibly
    disk Management.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]

    "Nathan McNulty" <nospam@msn.com> wrote in message
    >I have a few questions because the wording can be taken a couple of
    >different ways. First, I don't believe there is any need for taking
    >ownership of a drive that has been formatted as FAT32 since it
    >doesn't have the security features of NTFS. Second, are you trying
    >to access the XP Drive from Windows ME? To do this, you will need an
    >NTFS driver for Windows ME from here (I think):
    > http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/ntfswin98.shtml
    >
    > I haven't used Windows ME since I had it on my system for a whole 3
    > days before I went back to Windows 98 SE, so I may be a little off
    > on the post :)
    >
    > ----
    > Nathan McNulty
    >

    > Jupiter Jones [MVP] wrote:
    >> Jason;
    >> You should have no problem reading the FAT32 data.

    That is what I gathered, but covering all the bases is a good idea since
    wording gets jumbled so often :)

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    Jupiter Jones [MVP] wrote:
    > Nathan;
    > You are correct Ownership should not be an issue, I put that just in
    > case something was missed.
    > It also sounds like the OP is attempting to read a Windows ME drive
    > with Windows XP which also should be no problem other than possibly
    > disk Management.

Windows XP