Replacing hard drive (C) With a new drive????

I want to replace my existing 40 GB HD, a MAXToR, that
has Windows XP Pre UPGRADE installed upon it.

First I transfered the entire existing C drive to my new
hard drive a WD 80 GB drive(using Norton Ghost), this
transfer went well. however about 1GB of files did not
transfer???? I know not what was not transferred.

The Bios recognizes the hew drive. Also when the old C
drive is used to boot from the My Computer (windows also
sees the new drive as a new D drive).

However after removing my old C drive and re pinning the
new drive as the only drive when it starts to boot and I
see the black background XP pro splash page as in a
normal boot. ( the dots are moving as is normal)
Then that page disappears and I now see a blue (NOT THE
OLD BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH) screen that says windows XP and
hax a small windows logo near the center of it.

And that is where the computer hangs up and goes no
farther.

I have tried all of the available BIOS boot options,
tried to boot from it as HD-0 and put then it on my
ATA133 card and tried to boot it as a SCUZY disk (same as
the orginal old C drive was booted from)

It still hangs up at the same point)

Can I try to reinstall windows over the transferred XP
program that is there if I boot from the old C drive and
install XP on the drive when it is up and shown as a D
drive?? How would I do that( install XP again over on a D
drive??? I am afrais my prior registeration ACTIVATION of
the OS would not be valid if I start from scratch

What else can I do?

Can anyone help me with this problem?

Suggest using the software that came with your new WD drive that enables you
to clone the original drive to the new WD. I am sure Norton Ghost works fine
but obviously something went wrong in your case.

See the back page of the Quick Install Guide that came with the drive. #5
Set Up and Copy Files.

r.

"Joe O" wrote:

> I want to replace my existing 40 GB HD, a MAXToR, that
> has Windows XP Pre UPGRADE installed upon it.
>
> First I transfered the entire existing C drive to my new
> hard drive a WD 80 GB drive(using Norton Ghost), this
> transfer went well. however about 1GB of files did not
> transfer???? I know not what was not transferred.
>
> The Bios recognizes the hew drive. Also when the old C
> drive is used to boot from the My Computer (windows also
> sees the new drive as a new D drive).
>
> However after removing my old C drive and re pinning the
> new drive as the only drive when it starts to boot and I
> see the black background XP pro splash page as in a
> normal boot. ( the dots are moving as is normal)
> Then that page disappears and I now see a blue (NOT THE
> OLD BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH) screen that says windows XP and
> hax a small windows logo near the center of it.
>
> And that is where the computer hangs up and goes no
> farther.
>
> I have tried all of the available BIOS boot options,
> tried to boot from it as HD-0 and put then it on my
> ATA133 card and tried to boot it as a SCUZY disk (same as
> the orginal old C drive was booted from)
>
> It still hangs up at the same point)
>
> Can I try to reinstall windows over the transferred XP
> program that is there if I boot from the old C drive and
> install XP on the drive when it is up and shown as a D
> drive?? How would I do that( install XP again over on a D
> drive??? I am afrais my prior registeration ACTIVATION of
> the OS would not be valid if I start from scratch
>
> What else can I do?
>
> Can anyone help me with this problem?

i had a similar problem installing a new drive somebody
suggested trying a program called Casper xp
i used that and it went just fine
am running on new drive right now
here is the link to program http://www.fssdev.com/
there is a free version wont resize partion but will copy it
and use partition magic or something else to resize
once up and running on new drive
bgame

"Joe O" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I want to replace my existing 40 GB HD, a MAXToR, that
> has Windows XP Pre UPGRADE installed upon it.
>
> First I transfered the entire existing C drive to my new
> hard drive a WD 80 GB drive(using Norton Ghost), this
> transfer went well. however about 1GB of files did not
> transfer???? I know not what was not transferred.
>
> The Bios recognizes the hew drive. Also when the old C
> drive is used to boot from the My Computer (windows also
> sees the new drive as a new D drive).
>
> However after removing my old C drive and re pinning the
> new drive as the only drive when it starts to boot and I
> see the black background XP pro splash page as in a
> normal boot. ( the dots are moving as is normal)
> Then that page disappears and I now see a blue (NOT THE
> OLD BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH) screen that says windows XP and
> hax a small windows logo near the center of it.
>
> And that is where the computer hangs up and goes no
> farther.
>
> I have tried all of the available BIOS boot options,
> tried to boot from it as HD-0 and put then it on my
> ATA133 card and tried to boot it as a SCUZY disk (same as
> the orginal old C drive was booted from)
>
> It still hangs up at the same point)
>
> Can I try to reinstall windows over the transferred XP
> program that is there if I boot from the old C drive and
> install XP on the drive when it is up and shown as a D
> drive?? How would I do that( install XP again over on a D
> drive??? I am afrais my prior registeration ACTIVATION of
> the OS would not be valid if I start from scratch
>
> What else can I do?
>
> Can anyone help me with this problem?

the new drive i installed was a wd
and i got file errors when using there utility to
copy drive
bgame

"namniar" <namniar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]

> has Windows XP Pre UPGRADE installed upon it.
>
> First I transfered the entire existing C drive to my new
> hard drive a WD 80 GB drive(using Norton Ghost), this
> transfer went well. however about 1GB of files did not
> transfer???? I know not what was not transferred.
>
> The Bios recognizes the hew drive. Also when the old C
> drive is used to boot from the My Computer (windows also
> sees the new drive as a new D drive).
>
> However after removing my old C drive and re pinning the
> new drive as the only drive when it starts to boot and I
> see the black background XP pro splash page as in a
> normal boot. ( the dots are moving as is normal)
> Then that page disappears and I now see a blue (NOT THE
> OLD BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH) screen that says windows XP and
> hax a small windows logo near the center of it.
>
> And that is where the computer hangs up and goes no

The registry of the new XP (D) uses many files of the original (C) XP
This is why t is not possible to boot on the D XP if the volume C is not
present.
This can be solved:
-Boot on D (possible with C present)
-Swap the letters C, D in the registry of this new XP. As explained in the
Knowledge Base article Q223188 :
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q223188
( regedit : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices, right click on volume,
choose rename C to Z, D to C, Z to D, reboot).
Any other operation may corrupt both systems.
Then the D XP can operate without C.
To copy XP see http://perso.numericable.fr/gjullien/copy_xp.htm
Georges Jullien