SATA Drive is DAM slow, how to fix it

I am using

Asus sli delux
1GB ram
120GB SATA segate
MSI 6600GT pcie

My SATA Drive is dam slow,i am getting iritated of its performance.

any recommendation or solution on how to make SATA drive fast.

Regards
25 answers Last reply
More about sata drive slow

    "chandra" <chandra@rochester.rr.com> wrote in message
    >I am using
    >
    > Asus sli delux
    > 1GB ram
    > 120GB SATA segate
    > MSI 6600GT pcie
    >
    > My SATA Drive is dam slow,i am getting iritated of its performance.
    >
    > any recommendation or solution on how to make SATA drive fast.
    >

    > Regards

    Go to Windows device manager and find out what speed your drive controller
    is set at. Check the transfer mode and make sure it is set at Serial ATA 1
    Generation - 1.5GB. This should be selected automatically, but if it is not
    you have some kind of problem.

    chandra wrote:
    > I am using
    >
    > Asus sli delux
    > 1GB ram
    > 120GB SATA segate
    > MSI 6600GT pcie
    >
    > My SATA Drive is dam slow,i am getting iritated of its performance.
    >
    > any recommendation or solution on how to make SATA drive fast.
    >

    > Regards

    For starters, you should quantify your HD's STR with a bit more
    specificity than "damn slow". Download HDtach, either v3.x if you
    have NT/W2K/XP or v2.x if you have W9x, then run it as close to
    standalone as you can get under your OS. Then, compare HDtach's
    reported data with Seagate's specs for that HD, and see if they
    kinda match.
    --
    Cheers, Bob

    Speaking of slow, etc., when will solid state drives come to the masses?

    -g

    "Mark A" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in

    > Go to Windows device manager and find out what speed your drive
    > controller is set at. Check the transfer mode and make sure it is set
    > at Serial ATA 1 Generation - 1.5GB. This should be selected
    > automatically, but if it is not you have some kind of problem.

    Where is this exactly?
    I can't find anything like it on mine.

    --
    Alex Devlin

    "Never knowingly understood."

    i checked, it is set to 1.5GB

    especially i have a download folder, when i read that folder it will
    take at least 5-10 min some time.
    dont know how to trouble shoot.

    In article <f75me.26757$tM3.16078@twister.nyroc.rr.com>, Chandra
    <chandra@rochester.rr.com> wrote:

    > i checked, it is set to 1.5GB
    >
    > especially i have a download folder, when i read that folder it will
    > take at least 5-10 min some time.
    > dont know how to trouble shoot.

    Is this a problem with Windows attempting to preview
    the contents of the download folder ? I seem to remember
    a problem, where Windows would read entire movie files, to
    get some vital statistics for the file, or to present
    previews of the movie. Perhaps your computer is busy doing all
    sorts of unnecessary work, every time the download folder is
    opened.

    Since you haven't described all the symptoms and exactly
    how you are viewing your download folder, all I can suggest
    is:

    google on: windows explorer preview movie disable

    If the CPU is running at 100% during those 5-10 minutes,
    you know something is up. Try opening Task Manager and
    see what processes are busy during the 5-10 minute interval.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Hi

    i did benching mark with the HDtach

    Mine i got
    Burst Speed 133.4 MB/s
    Random Access 12.4 ms
    CPU Utilization 5% [+/- 2%]
    Average Read 47.7 MB/s

    Comparing bench mark with Segate Barracuda

    Burst Speed 98.5 MB/s
    Random Access 12.5 ms
    CPU Utilization 2% [+/- 2%]
    Average Read 46.2 MB/s

    Like to have any comments Bob.

    Bob Willard wrote:
    > chandra wrote:
    >
    >> I am using
    >>
    >> Asus sli delux
    >> 1GB ram
    >> 120GB SATA segate
    >> MSI 6600GT pcie
    >>
    >> My SATA Drive is dam slow,i am getting iritated of its performance.
    >>
    >> any recommendation or solution on how to make SATA drive fast.
    >>

    >> Regards
    >

    > For starters, you should quantify your HD's STR with a bit more
    > specificity than "damn slow". Download HDtach, either v3.x if you
    > have NT/W2K/XP or v2.x if you have W9x, then run it as close to
    > standalone as you can get under your OS. Then, compare HDtach's
    > reported data with Seagate's specs for that HD, and see if they
    > kinda match.

    > Speaking of slow, etc., when will solid state drives come to the masses?
    >
    > -g

    There already here in the form of USB pens,CF cards,SD cards and Memory
    sticks. However looks like years before one will get a solid state device
    big enough to internally fit in a pc using ATA or SATA type controller
    interfaces. Memory is just to expensive for the size of drives available
    these days. Maybe some very small GB drives will appear soon but thats all
    surmising.

    Steve

    In article <3fs4miF9a2r8U1@individual.net>, zen20140@zen.co.uk says...

    > > Speaking of slow, etc., when will solid state drives come to the masses?
    > >
    > > -g
    > >

    > There already here in the form of USB pens,CF cards,SD cards and Memory
    > sticks. However looks like years before one will get a solid state device
    > big enough to internally fit in a pc using ATA or SATA type controller
    > interfaces. Memory is just to expensive for the size of drives available
    > these days. Maybe some very small GB drives will appear soon but thats all
    > surmising.
    >
    > Steve

    http://news.designtechnica.com/article7516.html

    Bill

    > i did benching mark with the HDtach
    >
    > Mine i got
    > Burst Speed 133.4 MB/s
    > Random Access 12.4 ms
    > CPU Utilization 5% [+/- 2%]
    > Average Read 47.7 MB/s
    >
    > Comparing bench mark with Segate Barracuda
    >
    > Burst Speed 98.5 MB/s
    > Random Access 12.5 ms
    > CPU Utilization 2% [+/- 2%]
    > Average Read 46.2 MB/s

    Just looking at those results it looks far from slow and better than the
    Seagate. Just because it's a SATA doesn't mean it's gonna be rocket fuel.
    The extra bandwidth (150MB/s) isn't going to make a whole huge difference
    because the reading of the discs and transfering the info to the SATA
    controllers is letting it down and unlikely to be any faster than an EIDE
    drive.

    Steve

    "Stevie Boy" <zen20140@zen.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Just looking at those results it looks far from slow and better than the
    > Seagate. Just because it's a SATA doesn't mean it's gonna be rocket fuel.
    > The extra bandwidth (150MB/s) isn't going to make a whole huge difference
    > because the reading of the discs and transfering the info to the SATA
    > controllers is letting it down and unlikely to be any faster than an EIDE
    > drive.
    >
    > Steve
    That's correct. Most desktop 7200 RPM SATA drives are limited by the
    physical drive technology. Not really much faster than the best IDE drives
    for most applications.

    you need to check under IDE controllers.
    see which controller you are using for SATA
    it will show you in the properties.

    Alex Devlin wrote:
    > "Mark A" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in
    >

    >>Go to Windows device manager and find out what speed your drive
    >>controller is set at. Check the transfer mode and make sure it is set
    >>at Serial ATA 1 Generation - 1.5GB. This should be selected
    >>automatically, but if it is not you have some kind of problem.
    >

    > Where is this exactly?
    > I can't find anything like it on mine.

    This is just a download folder with all the files i download
    no movies
    no songs
    just pure software

    windows explorer is the process taking up 99% resources. when i am
    browsing the download folder.

    it happens often

    Paul wrote:
    > In article <f75me.26757$tM3.16078@twister.nyroc.rr.com>, Chandra
    > <chandra@rochester.rr.com> wrote:
    >

    >>i checked, it is set to 1.5GB
    >>
    >>especially i have a download folder, when i read that folder it will
    >>take at least 5-10 min some time.
    >>dont know how to trouble shoot.
    >>

    > Is this a problem with Windows attempting to preview
    > the contents of the download folder ? I seem to remember
    > a problem, where Windows would read entire movie files, to
    > get some vital statistics for the file, or to present
    > previews of the movie. Perhaps your computer is busy doing all
    > sorts of unnecessary work, every time the download folder is
    > opened.
    >
    > Since you haven't described all the symptoms and exactly
    > how you are viewing your download folder, all I can suggest
    > is:
    >
    > google on: windows explorer preview movie disable
    >
    > If the CPU is running at 100% during those 5-10 minutes,
    > you know something is up. Try opening Task Manager and
    > see what processes are busy during the 5-10 minute interval.
    >
    > HTH,
    > Paul

    Hi Chandra,

    On Sat, 28 May 2005 16:50:12 GMT, chandra <chandra@rochester.rr.com>
    wrote:

    >I am using
    >
    >Asus sli delux
    >1GB ram
    >120GB SATA segate
    >MSI 6600GT pcie
    >
    >My SATA Drive is dam slow,i am getting iritated of its performance.
    >
    >any recommendation or solution on how to make SATA drive fast.

    I've read the other posters replies.

    I asume the motherboard is the ASUS A8N-SLI deluxe.

    I've just troubleshooted SATA drive problems on my own board ...
    Unfortunately I didn't find any answers how to correct it, but I found
    a work around.

    I had two drives one Maxtor 160 GB SATA Drive (my system drive) and
    one 250 GB SATA Seagate drive connected an experienced that they were
    much slower than could be expected. With extensive disk use, they
    would actually freeze, but it didn't happen too often, so I lived with
    it.

    I got this board because it has 8 SATA ports, I needed to connect 6 x
    250 GB drives as a soft raid 5 (a windows soft raid NOT the inbuild
    raid) - they were all Seagate 250 GB drives.

    But the inbuild SIL3114 won't work as a simple SATA controller, so I
    had to get a Promise SATA II 150 TX4 4 SATA port controller. I then
    connected 4 of the Seagate 250 GB drives of the 6 drive raid to this
    controller. And the 2 other of the 6 drive raid to the NVidia
    controller, which will work as a simple SATA controller.

    This was slow, this crashed and trashed my drives all the time.

    I have now disabled BOTH the onboard Sil3114 and the onboard NVidia
    SATA controllers and connect two Promise SATA II 150 TX4 4 sata port
    controllers.

    For 60 Hours now ... Not a single BSOD or breakdown (before it would
    run max 2 hours IF I DIDN'T TOUCH THE COMPUTER, much less if I used
    it!!). Not only that - it's considerable much faster

    I don't know if the onboard controllers are bad, if they are not
    compatible with the drive I have - or what.

    If possible, try to disable the onboard SATA controllers and use an
    external one - it will give you some idea, if it works for you.

    regards Leif.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    > I've read the other posters replies.
    >
    > I asume the motherboard is the ASUS A8N-SLI deluxe.
    >
    > I've just troubleshooted SATA drive problems on my own board ...
    > Unfortunately I didn't find any answers how to correct it, but I found
    > a work around.
    >
    > I had two drives one Maxtor 160 GB SATA Drive (my system drive) and
    > one 250 GB SATA Seagate drive connected an experienced that they were
    > much slower than could be expected. With extensive disk use, they
    > would actually freeze, but it didn't happen too often, so I lived with
    > it.
    >
    > I got this board because it has 8 SATA ports, I needed to connect 6 x
    > 250 GB drives as a soft raid 5 (a windows soft raid NOT the inbuild
    > raid) - they were all Seagate 250 GB drives.
    >
    > But the inbuild SIL3114 won't work as a simple SATA controller, so I
    > had to get a Promise SATA II 150 TX4 4 SATA port controller. I then
    > connected 4 of the Seagate 250 GB drives of the 6 drive raid to this
    > controller. And the 2 other of the 6 drive raid to the NVidia
    > controller, which will work as a simple SATA controller.
    >
    > This was slow, this crashed and trashed my drives all the time.
    >
    > I have now disabled BOTH the onboard Sil3114 and the onboard NVidia
    > SATA controllers and connect two Promise SATA II 150 TX4 4 sata port
    > controllers.
    >
    > For 60 Hours now ... Not a single BSOD or breakdown (before it would
    > run max 2 hours IF I DIDN'T TOUCH THE COMPUTER, much less if I used
    > it!!). Not only that - it's considerable much faster
    >
    > I don't know if the onboard controllers are bad, if they are not
    > compatible with the drive I have - or what.
    >
    > If possible, try to disable the onboard SATA controllers and use an
    > external one - it will give you some idea, if it works for you.
    >
    > regards Leif.

    I have heard other people report problems with Maxtor drives on the on-board
    SATA controllers. They changed one of the configuration options in the
    device manager, but I don't remember exactly what it was (write caching or
    something). I would also check with Maxtor to see if a firmware update is
    available.
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    On Sun, 29 May 2005 00:53:04 GMT, Chandra <chandra@rochester.rr.com>
    wrote:

    >This is just a download folder with all the files i download
    >no movies
    >no songs
    >just pure software
    >
    >windows explorer is the process taking up 99% resources. when i am
    >browsing the download folder.
    >
    >it happens often

    I experienced a situation in which imaging software (not to mention
    any names, but the initials are Acronis True Image) erroneously
    started breaking the image file into 1-kilobyte fragments. This took
    NO time to generate over 10,000 files, and the behavior when trying to
    open the folder that contained them was just as you describe.
    So, the question is, how many files do you have in your download
    folder?

    >Paul wrote:
    >> In article <f75me.26757$tM3.16078@twister.nyroc.rr.com>, Chandra
    >> <chandra@rochester.rr.com> wrote:
    >>

    >>>i checked, it is set to 1.5GB
    >>>
    >>>especially i have a download folder, when i read that folder it will
    >>>take at least 5-10 min some time.
    >>>dont know how to trouble shoot.
    >>>

    >> Is this a problem with Windows attempting to preview
    >> the contents of the download folder ? I seem to remember
    >> a problem, where Windows would read entire movie files, to
    >> get some vital statistics for the file, or to present
    >> previews of the movie. Perhaps your computer is busy doing all
    >> sorts of unnecessary work, every time the download folder is
    >> opened.
    >>
    >> Since you haven't described all the symptoms and exactly
    >> how you are viewing your download folder, all I can suggest
    >> is:
    >>
    >> google on: windows explorer preview movie disable
    >>
    >> If the CPU is running at 100% during those 5-10 minutes,
    >> you know something is up. Try opening Task Manager and
    >> see what processes are busy during the 5-10 minute interval.
    >>
    >> HTH,
    >> Paul

    Ron
  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    Hi Mark,

    >I have heard other people report problems with Maxtor drives on the on-board
    >SATA controllers. They changed one of the configuration options in the
    >device manager, but I don't remember exactly what it was (write caching or
    >something). I would also check with Maxtor to see if a firmware update is
    >available.

    Thank you for the reply.

    Yes those are the DiamondMax10 disks.

    Mine is a DiamondMax9, and shouldn't have this problem. But what has
    caused of my drives not working on the onboard SATA controllers I
    don't know.

    Regards LEIF.
  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    Chandra <chandra@rochester.rr.com> wrote in news:pT7me.16705$zd5.2980
    @twister.nyroc.rr.com:

    > you need to check under IDE controllers.
    > see which controller you are using for SATA
    > it will show you in the properties.

    Hmm, I don't seem to have anything like that.

    What I do have is this;

    Intel(R) 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers

    I have two of those and two each of the Primary and Secondary IDE Channel.

    None of them have the option you were talking about.

    Now the weird thing is I do have a SATA hard drive plugged into the SATA
    connector on the Asus P4P800SE motherboard. But when I installed WinXP from
    fresh I never needed to install any drivers, it saw the drive and installed
    into it.

    I ran HDTech and got a burst read of 125.6 MB/s and an average read of
    47.4MB/s.

    So I'm wondering if I can do anything to increase the speed. There doesn't
    seem to be any drivers on the CD I got with the motherboard or the Intel
    site for my chipset to update them.

    --
    Alex Devlin

    "Never knowingly understood."
  19. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    One source of tremendous disk thrashing and CPU load when opening
    download folders is the zipfldr.dll Windows Explorer uses per default on
    XP and later. That's why I remove the respective keys in the registry
    pretty quickly after a (re)install. Speeds up things tremendously.

    Stephan
    --
    Home: http://stephan.win31.de/
    PC#6: i440BX, 2xP3-500E, 704 MiB, 250+80 GB, R9k AGP 64 MiB, 110W

    "Leif Nordmand Andersen" <lna@flashmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Mark,
    >
    >>I have heard other people report problems with Maxtor drives on the
    >>on-board
    >>SATA controllers. They changed one of the configuration options in the
    >>device manager, but I don't remember exactly what it was (write caching or
    >>something). I would also check with Maxtor to see if a firmware update is
    >>available.
    >
    > Thank you for the reply.
    >
    > Yes those are the DiamondMax10 disks.
    >
    > Mine is a DiamondMax9, and shouldn't have this problem. But what has
    > caused of my drives not working on the onboard SATA controllers I
    > don't know.
    >
    > Regards LEIF.

    Some Diamondmax 9 drives most certainly do have a problem :-(

    My drives would disappear from Windows or just not appear at all.

    I emailed Maxtor support and got sent a firmware update (YAR51HW0) and so
    far so good (touch wood)
  21. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    Can you please explain in more detail.
    "Stephan Grossklass" <sgrokla-nospam04q2@yahoo.de> wrote in message
    > One source of tremendous disk thrashing and CPU load when opening
    > download folders is the zipfldr.dll Windows Explorer uses per default on
    > XP and later. That's why I remove the respective keys in the registry
    > pretty quickly after a (re)install. Speeds up things tremendously.
    >
    > Stephan
    > --
    > Home: http://stephan.win31.de/
    > PC#6: i440BX, 2xP3-500E, 704 MiB, 250+80 GB, R9k AGP 64 MiB, 110W
  22. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    Chandra wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > i did benching mark with the HDtach
    >
    > Mine i got
    > Burst Speed 133.4 MB/s
    > Random Access 12.4 ms
    > CPU Utilization 5% [+/- 2%]
    > Average Read 47.7 MB/s
    >
    > Comparing bench mark with Segate Barracuda
    >
    > Burst Speed 98.5 MB/s
    > Random Access 12.5 ms
    > CPU Utilization 2% [+/- 2%]
    > Average Read 46.2 MB/s
    >
    > Like to have any comments Bob.
    >

    > Bob Willard wrote:
    >
    >> chandra wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am using
    >>>
    >>> Asus sli delux
    >>> 1GB ram
    >>> 120GB SATA segate
    >>> MSI 6600GT pcie
    >>>
    >>> My SATA Drive is dam slow,i am getting iritated of its performance.
    >>>
    >>> any recommendation or solution on how to make SATA drive fast.
    >>>

    >>> Regards
    >>

    >> For starters, you should quantify your HD's STR with a bit more
    >> specificity than "damn slow". Download HDtach, either v3.x if you
    >> have NT/W2K/XP or v2.x if you have W9x, then run it as close to
    >> standalone as you can get under your OS. Then, compare HDtach's
    >> reported data with Seagate's specs for that HD, and see if they
    >> kinda match.

    Looks like you are getting all the performance that HD has to offer.
    So, if you want something faster, you'll need to replace that HD with
    a faster one. For a single HD, the WDC 74GB Raptor is still tops; or,
    for a "few" $s more, you can create a RAIDset.
    --
    Cheers, Bob
  23. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    Hi Simon,

    >Some Diamondmax 9 drives most certainly do have a problem :-(
    >
    >My drives would disappear from Windows or just not appear at all.
    >
    >I emailed Maxtor support and got sent a firmware update (YAR51HW0) and so
    >far so good (touch wood)

    I'll write Maxtor support and get them to send me an updated BIOS,
    it's definately worth a try.

    Regards Leif.
  24. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    Kevin Haas schrieb:
    > "Stephan Grossklass" <sgrokla-nospam04q2@yahoo.de> wrote in message
    >> One source of tremendous disk thrashing and CPU load when opening
    >> download folders is the zipfldr.dll Windows Explorer uses per default on
    >> XP and later. That's why I remove the respective keys in the registry
    >> pretty quickly after a (re)install. Speeds up things tremendously.
    >
    > Can you please explain in more detail.

    This method looks like it should work:
    http://jorriss.com/dottext/jorriss/archive/2004/12/09/388.aspx

    Stephan
    --
    Home: http://stephan.win31.de/
    PC#6: i440BX, 2xP3-500E, 704 MiB, 250+80 GB, R9k AGP 64 MiB, 110W
  25. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    Hi Stephan grossklass

    before i have a problem of explorer hanging and un-responsive.
    I think my problem is solved.
    Thank you very much for your help

    Please let me know if you have any tips in making windows xp faster.

    Chandra

    Stephan Grossklass wrote:
    > Kevin Haas schrieb:
    >
    >>"Stephan Grossklass" <sgrokla-nospam04q2@yahoo.de> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>One source of tremendous disk thrashing and CPU load when opening
    >>>download folders is the zipfldr.dll Windows Explorer uses per default on
    >>>XP and later. That's why I remove the respective keys in the registry
    >>>pretty quickly after a (re)install. Speeds up things tremendously.
    >>
    >>Can you please explain in more detail.
    >

    > This method looks like it should work:
    > http://jorriss.com/dottext/jorriss/archive/2004/12/09/388.aspx
    >
    > Stephan