Silent fans for case, CPU, and switch.

I'm thinking about upgrading main system fans and CPU fans to
quieter models. I've heard good things about the Zalman 7000A/B.
Regular system fans are mostly Antec 80mm double-ball-bearing .

I've also got a Linksys gigabit switch with a little 40mm x 40mm x
10mm fan that's louder than anything else in the system. (What's
going on with Linksys? Shouldn't Cisco know how to design a
friggin' switch?). It's an annoying noise, too.

I may ditch the Linksys and go with SMC (no fan), but if not, I'll
need to swap the fan. I found this Papst 412FM:

http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/40mmpapst.html

Rated at 19db. Are there quieter alternatives? Any
recommendations for better CPU and system fans?

LL
3 answers Last reply
More about silent fans case switch

    "_|_|_" <_|_|_@nomail.org> wrote in message
    > I'm thinking about upgrading main system fans and CPU fans to
    > quieter models. I've heard good things about the Zalman 7000A/B.
    > Regular system fans are mostly Antec 80mm double-ball-bearing .
    >
    > I've also got a Linksys gigabit switch with a little 40mm x 40mm x
    > 10mm fan that's louder than anything else in the system. (What's
    > going on with Linksys? Shouldn't Cisco know how to design a
    > friggin' switch?). It's an annoying noise, too.
    >
    > I may ditch the Linksys and go with SMC (no fan), but if not, I'll
    > need to swap the fan. I found this Papst 412FM:
    >
    > http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/40mmpapst.html
    >
    > Rated at 19db. Are there quieter alternatives? Any
    > recommendations for better CPU and system fans?
    >
    > LL

    That fan is rated at about 3 CFM (cubic feet per minute) airflow, which is
    why it is so quiet. You might need to find out how much the OEM fan puts out
    to get equivalent airflow.

    "_|_|_" <_|_|_@nomail.org> wrote in message news:uadi91hfbdvjler89652f39190rbri4ono@4ax.com...
    > I'm thinking about upgrading main system fans and CPU fans to
    > quieter models. I've heard good things about the Zalman 7000A/B.
    > Regular system fans are mostly Antec 80mm double-ball-bearing .
    >
    > I've also got a Linksys gigabit switch with a little 40mm x 40mm x
    > 10mm fan that's louder than anything else in the system. (What's
    > going on with Linksys? Shouldn't Cisco know how to design a
    > friggin' switch?). It's an annoying noise, too.
    >
    > I may ditch the Linksys and go with SMC (no fan), but if not, I'll
    > need to swap the fan. I found this Papst 412FM:
    >
    > http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/40mmpapst.html
    >
    > Rated at 19db. Are there quieter alternatives? Any
    > recommendations for better CPU and system fans?

    Papst is about as good as it gets. The problem is that
    10mm -- it's impossible to get decent airflow with a
    10mm fan unless you run it at insane speeds. I'm not
    sure 4800rpm will do the job on your Linksys.

    Is there enough room for a 15mm (or even 25mm) fan?

    On Sun, 29 May 2005 03:50:36 GMT, "Rick" <nospam@earthlink.net> wrote:

    >"_|_|_" <_|_|_@nomail.org> wrote in message news:uadi91hfbdvjler89652f39190rbri4ono@4ax.com...
    >> I'm thinking about upgrading main system fans and CPU fans to
    >> quieter models. I've heard good things about the Zalman 7000A/B.
    >> Regular system fans are mostly Antec 80mm double-ball-bearing .
    >>
    >> I've also got a Linksys gigabit switch with a little 40mm x 40mm x
    >> 10mm fan that's louder than anything else in the system. (What's
    >> http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/40mmpapst.html
    >>
    >> Rated at 19db. Are there quieter alternatives? Any
    >> recommendations for better CPU and system fans?
    >
    >Papst is about as good as it gets.

    Thanks. I'll look into Papst for system fans as well, though no
    single 80mm in my systems is exceptionally loud (I think all are
    Antec double-ball-bearing).

    > The problem is that
    >10mm -- it's impossible to get decent airflow with a
    >10mm fan unless you run it at insane speeds. I'm not
    >sure 4800rpm will do the job on your Linksys.

    That may be why the current fan is so annoying. Plus, they
    took no steps to isolate vibration from the case. It's a bad
    mechanical design.

    >Is there enough room for a 15mm (or even 25mm) fan?

    Not sure, as I haven't had the case open. It's a small case
    and I've seen pictures of the insides. There's a particular
    bracket that holds the fan, so it may not be easy to adapt.

    Good idea though! I was originally thinking about unplugging
    the little fan, opening the back panel, and putting a larger fan
    outside the case. I'd probably get about as much ariflow, and
    I can't imagine that it would be as loud as the current fan.

    Lots of manufacturers of switches manage to get by with no
    fans at all, and I believe the chipset spec says it can be used
    with just effective heatsinking. Evidently the fan was cheaper.

    A year ago I thought Linksys was competent. Ironic that with
    Cisco's aquisition, they've gone downhill. Their tech support is
    generally horrible now as well.

    I've heard that Linksys/Cisco answers complaints about their
    noisy systems with "well, you're supposed to use it in a server
    room"---the tech support equivalent of the "Doctor, it hurts
    when I do this..." joke. Evidently tiny $100 5-port switches are
    high end server products when it suits them. They should warn
    about use in recording studios, offices, labs, and other lower-
    noise environments.

    LL

Asus Switch Linksys CPUs Motherboards