usb to serial port not working

i have a new dell laptop with no serial port and 2 wristtop devices to
connect to a serial port. i have no serial port so am trying to use a
radioshack adapter. the driver is installed and recognized but i cannot
communicate with either device; one by IR and the oter by direct linkup.
Ideas? Thanks,
--
bbevins

Here is one option, many companies make these...
LavaPort Dual Serial Port 9pin 16550 PCI Card Home : Cables,
Adapter Cards, Serial : LavaPort Dual Serial Port 9pin 16550
PCI Card. Our Price: $11.99 Shipping: As Low As $3.85 ...
tekgems.com/Products/lavaport-pci-dual-serial-card.htm
- Similar pages

"bbevins" <bbevins@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
|i have a new dell laptop with no serial port and 2 wristtop
devices to
| connect to a serial port. i have no serial port so am
trying to use a
| radioshack adapter. the driver is installed and
recognized but i cannot
| communicate with either device; one by IR and the oter by
direct linkup.
| Ideas? Thanks,
| --
| bbevins

Sorry, missed the "laptop" part. Does Dell have any
suggestions for you? Do they have a docking port?

"bbevins" <bbevins@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
|i have a new dell laptop with no serial port and 2 wristtop
devices to
| connect to a serial port. i have no serial port so am
trying to use a
| radioshack adapter. the driver is installed and
recognized but i cannot
| communicate with either device; one by IR and the oter by
direct linkup.
| Ideas? Thanks,
| --
| bbevins

"bbevins" <bbevins@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i have a new dell laptop with no serial port and 2 wristtop devices to
> connect to a serial port. i have no serial port so am trying to use a
> radioshack adapter. the driver is installed and recognized but i
> cannot
> communicate with either device; one by IR and the oter by direct
> linkup.
> Ideas? Thanks,
> --
> bbevins

You have to make sure you have the correct COM port selected for each
device, even though it is connected via USB, the serial settings still
apply (or at least on my serial devices). With the device connected,
open Device Manager, ports and you should see the USB converter. The
correct port for the device is set in the properties for the converter.
If you cannot see the converter in Device Manager, select the View
menu/Show Hidden devices. There might also be a setting in the
controlling application for the devices to change the COM port.