Compaq X09 - Configure CDRW/DVDS and DVD Writer

Hi... Looking for some guidance.

I purchased a Compaq X09 gaming system to use primarily for CAD work at the
beginning of this year. After I set the system up, I discovered that I
couldn't use both optical drives to write data. I contacted Compaq's online
support, and after two days, and a lot of online time, I was informed that XP
wouldn't support two drives configured to write data under Windows XP. Is
this a true statement?

I now have time to try to correct the problem (if that is possible). I have
read posts on this thread which would lead me to believe that I should be
able to configure the system to work properly.

The following is information which may be pertinent:

The HP DVD writer is set up through BIOS as the Secondary IDE Master. The
following is information provided in the BIOS setup: Device: ATAPI CD-ROM; HP
DVD Writer 300c; LBA Mode: Supported; PIO Mode: 4; Async DMA: Multiword DMA
2; Ultra DMA: Ultra DMA 2; Type: Auto; and PIO Mode: Auto.

The Samsung CDRW/DVDS is set up through BIOS as the Secondary IDE Slave. The
following is information provided in the BIOS setup: Device: ATAPI CD-ROM;
Samsung CDRW/DVD SM-348B; LBA Mode: Supported; PIO Mode: 4; Async DMA:
Multiword DMA 2; Ultra DMA: Ultra DMA 2; Type: Auto; and PIO Mode: Auto.

I have tried configuring both drives as writable drives through Windows
Explorer; but, when I reboot, things seem to change quite a bit. For example,
one of the drives won't be displayed, and the drive letter assignments change.

Thanks in advance for any help that might be provided.
7 answers Last reply
More about compaq configure cdrw dvds writer

    Windows will only natively allow you to write to one Writer at a time.
    You can select which one is used by checking the Record Tab in the
    Properties of that drive. If you want to write to both drives, you need
    to use a program like Nero which allows you to use either (but you still
    have to choose which one).

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    Jeff wrote:
    > Hi... Looking for some guidance.
    >
    > I purchased a Compaq X09 gaming system to use primarily for CAD work at the
    > beginning of this year. After I set the system up, I discovered that I
    > couldn't use both optical drives to write data. I contacted Compaq's online
    > support, and after two days, and a lot of online time, I was informed that XP
    > wouldn't support two drives configured to write data under Windows XP. Is
    > this a true statement?
    >
    > I now have time to try to correct the problem (if that is possible). I have
    > read posts on this thread which would lead me to believe that I should be
    > able to configure the system to work properly.
    >
    > The following is information which may be pertinent:
    >
    > The HP DVD writer is set up through BIOS as the Secondary IDE Master. The
    > following is information provided in the BIOS setup: Device: ATAPI CD-ROM; HP
    > DVD Writer 300c; LBA Mode: Supported; PIO Mode: 4; Async DMA: Multiword DMA
    > 2; Ultra DMA: Ultra DMA 2; Type: Auto; and PIO Mode: Auto.
    >
    > The Samsung CDRW/DVDS is set up through BIOS as the Secondary IDE Slave. The
    > following is information provided in the BIOS setup: Device: ATAPI CD-ROM;
    > Samsung CDRW/DVD SM-348B; LBA Mode: Supported; PIO Mode: 4; Async DMA:
    > Multiword DMA 2; Ultra DMA: Ultra DMA 2; Type: Auto; and PIO Mode: Auto.
    >
    > I have tried configuring both drives as writable drives through Windows
    > Explorer; but, when I reboot, things seem to change quite a bit. For example,
    > one of the drives won't be displayed, and the drive letter assignments change.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any help that might be provided.

    Hi Nathan,

    Thanks for your reply. I find it peculiar that Compaq would include two
    writeable drivess in the box, when only one can be used at any given moment.

    Can you tell me more about your Nero comment? Are you saying that I would
    still need to select the recordable drive in the properties tab, and then
    select that drive in the program? Or is there some other feature that you are
    referring to?

    Thanks

    Jeff

    "Nathan McNulty" wrote:

    > Windows will only natively allow you to write to one Writer at a time.
    > You can select which one is used by checking the Record Tab in the
    > Properties of that drive. If you want to write to both drives, you need
    > to use a program like Nero which allows you to use either (but you still
    > have to choose which one).
    >
    > ----
    > Nathan McNulty
    >

    > Jeff wrote:
    > > Hi... Looking for some guidance.
    > >
    > > I purchased a Compaq X09 gaming system to use primarily for CAD work at the
    > > beginning of this year. After I set the system up, I discovered that I
    > > couldn't use both optical drives to write data. I contacted Compaq's online
    > > support, and after two days, and a lot of online time, I was informed that XP
    > > wouldn't support two drives configured to write data under Windows XP. Is
    > > this a true statement?
    > >
    > > I now have time to try to correct the problem (if that is possible). I have
    > > read posts on this thread which would lead me to believe that I should be
    > > able to configure the system to work properly.
    > >
    > > The following is information which may be pertinent:
    > >
    > > The HP DVD writer is set up through BIOS as the Secondary IDE Master. The
    > > following is information provided in the BIOS setup: Device: ATAPI CD-ROM; HP
    > > DVD Writer 300c; LBA Mode: Supported; PIO Mode: 4; Async DMA: Multiword DMA
    > > 2; Ultra DMA: Ultra DMA 2; Type: Auto; and PIO Mode: Auto.
    > >
    > > The Samsung CDRW/DVDS is set up through BIOS as the Secondary IDE Slave. The
    > > following is information provided in the BIOS setup: Device: ATAPI CD-ROM;
    > > Samsung CDRW/DVD SM-348B; LBA Mode: Supported; PIO Mode: 4; Async DMA:
    > > Multiword DMA 2; Ultra DMA: Ultra DMA 2; Type: Auto; and PIO Mode: Auto.
    > >
    > > I have tried configuring both drives as writable drives through Windows
    > > Explorer; but, when I reboot, things seem to change quite a bit. For example,
    > > one of the drives won't be displayed, and the drive letter assignments change.
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance for any help that might be provided.

    You don't need to go the properties settings with Nero. It has its own place
    where to choose which drive you want to burn with. (And you can change that
    per burn, ie. first with one drive and immediately followed by a burn on the
    other drive...

    --
    Tumppi
    Reply to group

    "Jeff" <Jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> kirjoitti viestissä
> [...]
    Multiword DMA
    > > > 2; Ultra DMA: Ultra DMA 2; Type: Auto; and PIO Mode: Auto.
    > > >
    > > > The Samsung CDRW/DVDS is set up through BIOS as the Secondary IDE
    Slave. The
    > > > following is information provided in the BIOS setup: Device: ATAPI
    CD-ROM;
    > > > Samsung CDRW/DVD SM-348B; LBA Mode: Supported; PIO Mode: 4; Async DMA:
    > > > Multiword DMA 2; Ultra DMA: Ultra DMA 2; Type: Auto; and PIO Mode:
    Auto.

    > > > I have tried configuring both drives as writable drives through
    Windows
    > > > Explorer; but, when I reboot, things seem to change quite a bit. For
    example,
    > > > one of the drives won't be displayed, and the drive letter assignments
    change.

    > > > Thanks in advance for any help that might be provided.

    This is what I meant. In the Nero application, you choose the recording
    device ;)

    Also, you may be able to use both if you were to open two instances of
    Nero and choose a seperate burner per each instance. You may run into
    quite a few problems doing this though.

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    Thomas Wendell wrote:
    > You don't need to go the properties settings with Nero. It has its own place
    > where to choose which drive you want to burn with. (And you can change that
    > per burn, ie. first with one drive and immediately followed by a burn on the
    > other drive...

    Hi Thomas and Nathan,

    Thanks for your replies.

    I didn't mean to make my last question so vague. But, I am a little
    confused. I suppose the most direct question I can ask is: "Will Windows XP
    prevent me from checking the tab in the property box for both drives that
    enables their writing capability, or, will Windows XP allow for only one of
    those devices to have that box checked?"

    I'm also curious if you're both saying that Nero will identify both drives
    as recordable drives, even if the properties tab is not checked for each?

    I got an email back from the motherboard manufacturer yesterday evening, and
    they are saying that I should be able to use both. (But, I don't know if they
    really know about any limitations of XP.)

    Thanks again for your help.

    Jeff

    "Nathan McNulty" wrote:

    > This is what I meant. In the Nero application, you choose the recording
    > device ;)
    >
    > Also, you may be able to use both if you were to open two instances of
    > Nero and choose a seperate burner per each instance. You may run into
    > quite a few problems doing this though.
    >
    > ----
    > Nathan McNulty
    >

    > Thomas Wendell wrote:
    > > You don't need to go the properties settings with Nero. It has its own place
    > > where to choose which drive you want to burn with. (And you can change that
    > > per burn, ie. first with one drive and immediately followed by a burn on the
    > > other drive...

    Yes, XP will prevent you from checking the tab in the property box for both
    drives that enables their writing capability,
    You check one, it unchecks the other.

    Nero, instead, uses it's own schemes for working, so the best would be to
    disable the IMAPI COM service and use InCD to format or erase CD-RWs to use
    them as big diskettes, and "Nero Burning ROM" for burning to CD-Rs

    --

    > Hi Thomas and Nathan,
    >
    > Thanks for your replies.
    >
    > I didn't mean to make my last question so vague. But, I am a little
    > confused. I suppose the most direct question I can ask is: "Will Windows
    XP
    > prevent me from checking the tab in the property box for both drives that
    > enables their writing capability, or, will Windows XP allow for only one
    of
    > those devices to have that box checked?"
    >
    > I'm also curious if you're both saying that Nero will identify both drives
    > as recordable drives, even if the properties tab is not checked for each?
    >
    > I got an email back from the motherboard manufacturer yesterday evening,
    and
    > they are saying that I should be able to use both. (But, I don't know if
    they
    > really know about any limitations of XP.)
    >
    > Thanks again for your help.
    >
    > Jeff
    >
    > "Nathan McNulty" wrote:
    >
    > > This is what I meant. In the Nero application, you choose the recording
    > > device ;)
    > >
    > > Also, you may be able to use both if you were to open two instances of
    > > Nero and choose a seperate burner per each instance. You may run into
    > > quite a few problems doing this though.
    > >
    > > ----
    > > Nathan McNulty
    > >

    > > Thomas Wendell wrote:
    > > > You don't need to go the properties settings with Nero. It has its own
    place
    > > > where to choose which drive you want to burn with. (And you can change
    that
    > > > per burn, ie. first with one drive and immediately followed by a burn
    on the
    > > > other drive...

    There are two reasons that were explained to me as to why Windows does this:

    1) Windows is not able to select which writer is to be used on its own.
    When you send files to CD and burn a CD, it cannot choose the
    appropraite burner without the user selecting which one.

    2) They limited it because writing to 2 CD Writers on the same IDE Cable
    could cause problems with transfering data. Basically they wanted to
    reduce the number of possible errors that a user could run into.

    Do remember that the built in writing engine is licensed from Roxio, but
    is older technology.

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

Compaq DVD Writers Windows XP