K8N Doesn't See RAID

My computer locked up last night while burning a DVD. After pushing the
reset button, the computer doesn't see the the two 80 GB SATA disks that
are supposed to running in RAID 0. At first I could go into the RAID
utility where only one disk was recognized. Now the computer never gets
any farther than trying to detect the RAID - I never get the opportunity
to enter the RAID setup utility.

If I disable the onboard RAID controller, the BIOS sees the two SATA
hard drives just fine.

My system -
Asus K8N w/ AMD 64 2800+
1 GB RAM
2 x Seagate 80 GB SATA
1 x WD 200 GB IDE
1 x Maxtor 40 GB IDE
HP DVD Burner
CD Burner
Windows XP (Corp) with SP2

Is it possible that by using the reset button I've corrupted the RADIO
BIOS? How the hell do you go about fixing that? If not the BIOS, what
else could it be?

Thx
-K2

So, have you done the obvious and re-installed the SATA drivers?

Bobby

NoNoBadDog! wrote:
> So, have you done the obvious and re-installed the SATA drivers?
>
> Bobby
>
> "KTwo" <local@loghost.com> wrote in message
>
>>My computer locked up last night while burning a DVD. After pushing the
>>reset button, the computer doesn't see the the two 80 GB SATA disks that
>>are supposed to running in RAID 0. At first I could go into the RAID
>>utility where only one disk was recognized. Now the computer never gets
>>any farther than trying to detect the RAID - I never get the opportunity
>>to enter the RAID setup utility.
>>
>>If I disable the onboard RAID controller, the BIOS sees the two SATA hard
>>drives just fine.
>>
>>My system -
>>Asus K8N w/ AMD 64 2800+
>>1 GB RAM
>>2 x Seagate 80 GB SATA
>>1 x WD 200 GB IDE
>>1 x Maxtor 40 GB IDE
>>HP DVD Burner
>>CD Burner
>>Windows XP (Corp) with SP2
>>
>>Is it possible that by using the reset button I've corrupted the RADIO
>>BIOS? How the hell do you go about fixing that? If not the BIOS, what
>>else could it be?
>>
>>Thx
>>-K2

Haven't figured out how to do that. I was booting from the RAID, so I
can't boot. If I run the XP install, it doesn't see the RAID as I have
to disable the RAID controller to get past the RAID detection.

-K2

Doesnt make sense, to me. - so how did you install win in the first place?

MrGrumpy wrote:
> Doesnt make sense, to me. - so how did you install win in the first place?
>

>>Haven't figured out how to do that. I was booting from the RAID, so I
>>can't boot. If I run the XP install, it doesn't see the RAID as I have
>>to disable the RAID controller to get past the RAID detection.
>>
>>-K2

It detected the RAID fine the first time. This machine has been running
fine for about 6 weeks - since I built it. When I built it, the BIOS
detected the RAID just fine. Windows saw the two drives as a single
150GB disk and installed on it. It was only when I used the reset
button last night that things headed south. Now when I boot with the
RAID controller enabled, it hanges at the screen where it says
"Detecting RAID . . . "

-K2

I assume you have data on this disk that you dont want to lose.
I cannot recollect but does the setup of winxp, from cd, have an F6 option
to 3rd party drivers, raid driver, from floppy?
I guess its also possible that raid controler has failed - perhaps why you
got a freeze?
Perhaps you may be able to install winxp on another hd?, then investigate
controler from there?

MrGrumpy wrote:
> I assume you have data on this disk that you dont want to lose.
> I cannot recollect but does the setup of winxp, from cd, have an F6 option
> to 3rd party drivers, raid driver, from floppy?
> I guess its also possible that raid controler has failed - perhaps why you
> got a freeze?
> Perhaps you may be able to install winxp on another hd?, then investigate
> controler from there?

I'm going the reinstall route on a single SATA HD with the RAID
controller disabled. This should let me get it running enough to do be
able to investigate. I sure hope it's not the RAID controller - the
board is only 6 weeks old and I don't feel like pulling it out and
sending it back to Asus.
Thx
-K2

Paul

Splendid

In article <87CdnRyaaaFFWwTfRVn-qA@comcast.com>, KTwo <local@loghost.com> wrote:

> My computer locked up last night while burning a DVD. After pushing the
> reset button, the computer doesn't see the the two 80 GB SATA disks that
> are supposed to running in RAID 0. At first I could go into the RAID
> utility where only one disk was recognized. Now the computer never gets
> any farther than trying to detect the RAID - I never get the opportunity
> to enter the RAID setup utility.
>
> If I disable the onboard RAID controller, the BIOS sees the two SATA
> hard drives just fine.
>
> My system -
> Asus K8N w/ AMD 64 2800+
> 1 GB RAM
> 2 x Seagate 80 GB SATA
> 1 x WD 200 GB IDE
> 1 x Maxtor 40 GB IDE
> HP DVD Burner
> CD Burner
> Windows XP (Corp) with SP2
>
> Is it possible that by using the reset button I've corrupted the RADIO
> BIOS? How the hell do you go about fixing that? If not the BIOS, what
> else could it be?
>
> Thx
> -K2

I think now you can see what a liability RAID 0 really is.

What could have happened, is the reserved sector on one of the
disks is no longer valid or cannot be read by the controller.
That might be enough to tie the RAID BIOS in knots.

At least one RAID package I was reading about yesterday, had the
ability to display the contents of the reserved sector on each
disk. If your Windows RAID support has such a facility, perhaps
you can compare the two reserved sectors and see if the crash
wiped one of them out.

Also, check the cabling, to make sure nothing has fallen out
while you've been working on it.

Paul

these things happen!

> MrGrumpy wrote:
> > I assume you have data on this disk that you dont want to lose.
> > I cannot recollect but does the setup of winxp, from cd, have an F6
option
> > to 3rd party drivers, raid driver, from floppy?
> > I guess its also possible that raid controler has failed - perhaps why
you
> > got a freeze?
> > Perhaps you may be able to install winxp on another hd?, then
investigate
> > controler from there?
> >

> I'm going the reinstall route on a single SATA HD with the RAID
> controller disabled. This should let me get it running enough to do be
> able to investigate. I sure hope it's not the RAID controller - the
> board is only 6 weeks old and I don't feel like pulling it out and
> sending it back to Asus.
> Thx
> -K2

Hi KTwo,

> It was only when I used the reset
>button last night that things headed south. Now when I boot with the
>RAID controller enabled, it hanges at the screen where it says
>"Detecting RAID . . . "

I've have a soft raid 5 set up. And the reset button can make it loose
it failsafe redundantcy and it has to rebuild the raid again.

If hitting the reset button corrupted your raid on a raid 0
configuration, then you most likely have lost the raid. And unless
there is something extremly valuable and un-backed up on the disk, you
most likely would have to reinstall.

Regards Leif.

Leif Nordmand Andersen wrote:
> Hi KTwo,
>

>>It was only when I used the reset
>>button last night that things headed south. Now when I boot with the
>>RAID controller enabled, it hanges at the screen where it says
>>"Detecting RAID . . . "
>

> I've have a soft raid 5 set up. And the reset button can make it loose
> it failsafe redundantcy and it has to rebuild the raid again.
>
> If hitting the reset button corrupted your raid on a raid 0
> configuration, then you most likely have lost the raid. And unless
> there is something extremly valuable and un-backed up on the disk, you
> most likely would have to reinstall.
>
> Regards Leif.

Leif -
That's what happened. I just ended up rebuilding the RAID and
reninstalling the OS and programs. I knew that this could happen with
RAID 0, so all my data is on another drive - nothing but OS and programs
on the RAID. Now maybe I'll figure out to build an ISO image of system
disk for the next time that this happens.
Thx
-K2