computer won't start at all

I just recently made a computer with window xp home for about couple of
months. But all of a sudden today it turned off by itself and it won't start
again! when i turn on the computer, the only thing that works are the fans
that i put it in and nothing else. first i though my power supply was fried
so i tried another one but it showed same result. i dont know what is wrong
with it. is it my motherboard? and if so, how can i fix it?

With the case open, turn the PC on. After a minute or so, touch the
heatsink on the CPU. Does it feel warm? If not, it's probably a fried CPU,
but you'll need to remove the motherboard and CPU from the case for it to be
tested.
www.coribright.com

"Sung Yi" <sungyi81@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I just recently made a computer with window xp home for about couple of
> months. But all of a sudden today it turned off by itself and it won't
> start
> again! when i turn on the computer, the only thing that works are the fans
> that i put it in and nothing else. first i though my power supply was
> fried
> so i tried another one but it showed same result. i dont know what is
> wrong
> with it. is it my motherboard? and if so, how can i fix it?

Some power supply units have a fuse or circuit breaker, some
motherboards may have the same. You have probably eliminated
the PSU with your trial. Are there any beeps or noises?
Have you tried removing some or all of the RAM?

Have you looked at the mobo with a strong light and a
magnifying glass for any visible indications?

Do you know if you've had any power spikes or lightening
strikes?

Do you have the mobo manual and any other troubleshooting
manuals?

"Sung Yi" <sungyi81@yahoo.com> wrote in message
|I just recently made a computer with window xp home for
about couple of
| months. But all of a sudden today it turned off by itself
and it won't start
| again! when i turn on the computer, the only thing that
works are the fans
| that i put it in and nothing else. first i though my power
supply was fried
| so i tried another one but it showed same result. i dont
know what is wrong
| with it. is it my motherboard? and if so, how can i fix
it?

How about some details... what mobo? Was it overclocked?
Have you tried resetting the BIOS.
"Sung Yi" <sungyi81@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I just recently made a computer with window xp home for about couple of
> months. But all of a sudden today it turned off by itself and it won't
> start
> again! when i turn on the computer, the only thing that works are the fans
> that i put it in and nothing else. first i though my power supply was
> fried
> so i tried another one but it showed same result. i dont know what is
> wrong
> with it. is it my motherboard? and if so, how can i fix it?

Okay, this was my first time making a computer and I've managed to put
together a mobo elitegroup 648FX-A Sis648FX with socket 478, 512BM RAM and
intel celeron chip. i don't know exactly what happened because i wasnt home
when it happened. but when i came back the computer was on, i guess, because
the fans were running but the monitor was not gettin any signal so i turned
the computer off and tried to restart but it doesnt even startup so i cant
even access my BIOS at all.

There should be a jumper on the mobo that clears the CMOS. Look in the mobo
manual.
If you don't have one you could download it from the manufacturers website.
If that doesn't get you up, try reseating all your cards and ram.

First, ECS is generally junk for motherboards. This doesn't surprise me
too much. Second, you may need to reset the BIOS settings as suggested
by yeloduke. The motherboard manual will also offer support and added
information too ;)

----
Nathan McNulty

yeloduke wrote:
> There should be a jumper on the mobo that clears the CMOS. Look in the mobo
> manual.
> If you don't have one you could download it from the manufacturers website.
> If that doesn't get you up, try reseating all your cards and ram.

I had a simular problem with my computer last week. The
difference between what you have explained and what I
exerianced was my computer just sat there beeping at me.
After trying a number of different things I felt the bios
was to blame. Flasing the bios did no good. To make a
long story short it truns out the bios chip was not
propperly installed, pressing on it a bit cured my
problem.

You need to count the number of beeps...... that will tell you what is
wrong....
http://www.amptron.com/html/bios.beepcodes.html
www.coribright.com