A7N8X V2.0

norm

I recently purchased a BFG 6800OC, getting artfacting at POST. All divers
updated and newest BIOS. BFG suggests it could be the MB....Any one have
these similar problems

norm

"JT" <JT@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
> Last time I had that happen it was the video card taking a dump.

That sure was a shitty thought

Jbob

"Norm" <Here@here.com> wrote in message
>I recently purchased a BFG 6800OC, getting artfacting at POST. All divers
>updated and newest BIOS. BFG suggests it could be the MB....Any one have
>these similar problems

What drivers are needed at POST? That's just standard VGA stuff correct?
I'd try the card in another board just for grins.
Might try reseating the card a few times too.

Paul

Splendid

In article <3OmdnU2uI9eKZgbfRVn-gg@comcast.com>, "Jbob"
<nobody@SpamCox.net> wrote:

> "Norm" <Here@here.com> wrote in message
> >I recently purchased a BFG 6800OC, getting artfacting at POST. All divers
> >updated and newest BIOS. BFG suggests it could be the MB....Any one have
> >these similar problems
>
> What drivers are needed at POST? That's just standard VGA stuff correct?
> I'd try the card in another board just for grins.
> Might try reseating the card a few times too.

You might also try checking supply voltages, either in the
BIOS power monitor screen, or while in Windows (if you can boot
of course). It could be that one of the power rails is being
crushed by your new toy.

Also, some models of video cards have been notorious for failing
video RAM chips. Or even having a heatsink that has come loose
from the chip it is supposed to be cooling. Perhaps a bit of
Googling will give you a feel for the quality of that particular
product (I see at least one report of a failure after 3 weeks.)

If there is a separate power cable for the card, make sure there
are no other loads on that cable. My ATI video card, for example,
draws 5.5 amps from +5V on a disk drive cable, and you don't
really want to complicate life by powering any disk drives with
the same cable. Also, at a minimum, I would want a power supply
with a 5V 25A output current rating. If yours is rated for
significantly less than that, that could be your problem.
I don't know what rail a 6800 OC draws power from, but it
will either be mostly +5V or +12V. Since the A7N8X draws most
of its power from +5V, that is why the +5V must be so strong.

Paul

norm

> In article <3OmdnU2uI9eKZgbfRVn-gg@comcast.com>, "Jbob"
> <nobody@SpamCox.net> wrote:
>
>> "Norm" <Here@here.com> wrote in message
>> >I recently purchased a BFG 6800OC, getting artfacting at POST. All
>> >divers
>> >updated and newest BIOS. BFG suggests it could be the MB....Any one have
>> >these similar problems
>>
>> What drivers are needed at POST? That's just standard VGA stuff correct?
>> I'd try the card in another board just for grins.
>> Might try reseating the card a few times too.
>
> You might also try checking supply voltages, either in the
> BIOS power monitor screen, or while in Windows (if you can boot
> of course). It could be that one of the power rails is being
> crushed by your new toy.
>
> Also, some models of video cards have been notorious for failing
> video RAM chips. Or even having a heatsink that has come loose
> from the chip it is supposed to be cooling. Perhaps a bit of
> Googling will give you a feel for the quality of that particular
> product (I see at least one report of a failure after 3 weeks.)
>
> If there is a separate power cable for the card, make sure there
> are no other loads on that cable. My ATI video card, for example,
> draws 5.5 amps from +5V on a disk drive cable, and you don't
> really want to complicate life by powering any disk drives with
> the same cable. Also, at a minimum, I would want a power supply
> with a 5V 25A output current rating. If yours is rated for
> significantly less than that, that could be your problem.
> I don't know what rail a 6800 OC draws power from, but it
> will either be mostly +5V or +12V. Since the A7N8X draws most
> of its power from +5V, that is why the +5V must be so strong.
>
> Paul

Thanks for the info mates!!

I will look into both suggestions,

Here is my PS...should not be the problem
http://www.xoxide.com/ultra-x-connect-power-supply.html

Paul

Splendid

In article <CrYme.2869$rb6.140@lakeread07>, "Norm" <Here@here.com> wrote:

> > In article <3OmdnU2uI9eKZgbfRVn-gg@comcast.com>, "Jbob"
> > <nobody@SpamCox.net> wrote:
> >
> >> "Norm" <Here@here.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> What drivers are needed at POST? That's just standard VGA stuff correct?
> >> I'd try the card in another board just for grins.
> >> Might try reseating the card a few times too.
> >
> > You might also try checking supply voltages, either in the
> > BIOS power monitor screen, or while in Windows (if you can boot
> > of course). It could be that one of the power rails is being
> > crushed by your new toy.
> >
> > Also, some models of video cards have been notorious for failing
> > video RAM chips. Or even having a heatsink that has come loose
> > from the chip it is supposed to be cooling. Perhaps a bit of
> > Googling will give you a feel for the quality of that particular
> > product (I see at least one report of a failure after 3 weeks.)
> >
> > If there is a separate power cable for the card, make sure there
> > are no other loads on that cable. My ATI video card, for example,
> > draws 5.5 amps from +5V on a disk drive cable, and you don't
> > really want to complicate life by powering any disk drives with
> > the same cable. Also, at a minimum, I would want a power supply
> > with a 5V 25A output current rating. If yours is rated for
> > significantly less than that, that could be your problem.
> > I don't know what rail a 6800 OC draws power from, but it
> > will either be mostly +5V or +12V. Since the A7N8X draws most
> > of its power from +5V, that is why the +5V must be so strong.
> >
> > Paul
>
> Thanks for the info mates!!
>
> I will look into both suggestions,
>
> Here is my PS...should not be the problem
> http://www.xoxide.com/ultra-x-connect-power-supply.html

There is a review here. Says the 3.3V is a bit on the weak side.
Take a look with Asus Probe and see if your results are similar
to Toms.

http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20050228/power_supply-12.html
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=852972
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article193-page3.html (3.1V)

I think you owe it to yourself to visit the ultraproducts
forums. This is only amusing if you don't own the product :-(
It is quite possible to own a dud X-Connect.

http://ultraproducts.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=1

Here is a sampling - take a look at the posting by
"dreamhost" near the bottom of page 3:

http://www.ultraproducts.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=106

I would say anything is possible with that supply. And I don't
care what is printed on the label - if people are getting
damaged gear while using that supply, then you know what is
printed on the label doesn't mean anything. If a company
doesn't have good quality control (doesn't test the product
before it leaves the factory), then some people will get
good supplies and some will get bad ones.

Paul

norm

> In article <CrYme.2869$rb6.140@lakeread07>, "Norm" <Here@here.com> wrote:
>
>> "Paul" <nospam@needed.com> wrote in message

>> > You might also try checking supply voltages, either in the
>> > BIOS power monitor screen, or while in Windows (if you can boot
>> > of course). It could be that one of the power rails is being
>> > crushed by your new toy.
>> >
>> > Also, some models of video cards have been notorious for failing
>> > video RAM chips. Or even having a heatsink that has come loose
>> > from the chip it is supposed to be cooling. Perhaps a bit of
>> > Googling will give you a feel for the quality of that particular
>> > product (I see at least one report of a failure after 3 weeks.)
>> >
>> > If there is a separate power cable for the card, make sure there
>> > are no other loads on that cable. My ATI video card, for example,
>> > draws 5.5 amps from +5V on a disk drive cable, and you don't
>> > really want to complicate life by powering any disk drives with
>> > the same cable. Also, at a minimum, I would want a power supply
>> > with a 5V 25A output current rating. If yours is rated for
>> > significantly less than that, that could be your problem.
>> > I don't know what rail a 6800 OC draws power from, but it
>> > will either be mostly +5V or +12V. Since the A7N8X draws most
>> > of its power from +5V, that is why the +5V must be so strong.
>> >
>> > Paul
>>
>> Thanks for the info mates!!
>>
>> I will look into both suggestions,
>>
>> Here is my PS...should not be the problem
>> http://www.xoxide.com/ultra-x-connect-power-supply.html
>
> There is a review here. Says the 3.3V is a bit on the weak side.
> Take a look with Asus Probe and see if your results are similar
> to Toms.
>
> http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20050228/power_supply-12.html
> http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=852972
> http://www.silentpcreview.com/article193-page3.html (3.1V)
>
> I think you owe it to yourself to visit the ultraproducts
> forums. This is only amusing if you don't own the product :-(
> It is quite possible to own a dud X-Connect.
>
> http://ultraproducts.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=1
>
> Here is a sampling - take a look at the posting by
> "dreamhost" near the bottom of page 3:
>
> http://www.ultraproducts.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=106
>
> I would say anything is possible with that supply. And I don't
> care what is printed on the label - if people are getting
> damaged gear while using that supply, then you know what is
> printed on the label doesn't mean anything. If a company
> doesn't have good quality control (doesn't test the product
> before it leaves the factory), then some people will get
> good supplies and some will get bad ones.
>
> Paul

Thanks Paul,

I have read most of these reviews and comments, regarding the Ultra
X-Connect. Yes, I have read their forum and posted a few notes.

I also recently purchased the Antec 480W True Power. I had both power
supply in the PC but artfacting continues.

It funny though that Ultra suggests it could be the BFG. BFG suggest its
could be the PS or the motherboard. However, both agreed if it's their
product is bad, they will replace it!! I haven't heard from Asus yet.

..