P4P800E, No Bios Post Lady

I have my new P4P800E-Deluxe installed and have enabled the Bios for
voice reporting of the POST (also have the option set for it to tell
me it is booting to the operating system) but I don't hear anything
when the computer boots. I do have a speaker connected to the
motherboard but am using a separate sound card and not the onboard
audio (which also means I can't use Instant on Music). Is the the
reason it doesn't work? I do hear a single beep sometimes when I boot
so assume teh speaker connected to the motherboard is good,

Paul

Splendid

In article <iuuk91lim5pjlllaebkg40regj4cv6366h@4ax.com>, Lowel
<Me2@privacy.net> wrote:

> I have my new P4P800E-Deluxe installed and have enabled the Bios for
> voice reporting of the POST (also have the option set for it to tell
> me it is booting to the operating system) but I don't hear anything
> when the computer boots. I do have a speaker connected to the
> motherboard but am using a separate sound card and not the onboard
> audio (which also means I can't use Instant on Music). Is the the
> reason it doesn't work? I do hear a single beep sometimes when I boot
> so assume teh speaker connected to the motherboard is good,

Vocal POST is only connected to the green Lineout connector on the
back of the computer. It doesn't matter how many sound cards you
install, the Vocal POST is permanently affixed to the green connector.

Vocal POST does not come through the Windows sound subsystem - it is
an autonomous pair of chips, with output capacitively coupled to
the green connector. Vocal POST will even work, when there are no
components plugged into the motherboard - just motherboard, power
supply, and a power switch, is enough to get it to emit a signal.

Paul

That's it - the voice post reporter only works with the onboard audio. (That
is not to be confused with the drivers for the case speaker, which seems to
only support simple things like beep codes.)

"Lowel" <Me2@privacy.net> wrote in message
>I have my new P4P800E-Deluxe installed and have enabled the Bios for
> voice reporting of the POST (also have the option set for it to tell
> me it is booting to the operating system) but I don't hear anything
> when the computer boots. I do have a speaker connected to the
> motherboard but am using a separate sound card and not the onboard
> audio (which also means I can't use Instant on Music). Is the the
> reason it doesn't work? I do hear a single beep sometimes when I boot
> so assume teh speaker connected to the motherboard is good,

Cool, thanks for the info. Since I am already running the line out
of my sound card to the speakers, I guess I will have to get another
speaker.

On Sun, 29 May 2005 22:48:43 -0400, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:

>Vocal POST is only connected to the green Lineout connector on the
>back of the computer. It doesn't matter how many sound cards you
>install, the Vocal POST is permanently affixed to the green connector.
>
>Vocal POST does not come through the Windows sound subsystem - it is
>an autonomous pair of chips, with output capacitively coupled to
>the green connector. Vocal POST will even work, when there are no
>components plugged into the motherboard - just motherboard, power
>supply, and a power switch, is enough to get it to emit a signal.
>
> Paul

Or I guess I could run the green Lineout to my sound card's LineIn.

On Sun, 29 May 2005 23:35:49 -0700, Lowel <Me2@privacy.net> wrote:

>Cool, thanks for the info. Since I am already running the line out
>of my sound card to the speakers, I guess I will have to get another
>speaker.
>
>On Sun, 29 May 2005 22:48:43 -0400, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:
>
>>Vocal POST is only connected to the green Lineout connector on the
>>back of the computer. It doesn't matter how many sound cards you
>>install, the Vocal POST is permanently affixed to the green connector.
>>
>>Vocal POST does not come through the Windows sound subsystem - it is
>>an autonomous pair of chips, with output capacitively coupled to
>>the green connector. Vocal POST will even work, when there are no
>>components plugged into the motherboard - just motherboard, power
>>supply, and a power switch, is enough to get it to emit a signal.
>>
>> Paul

Actually, the sound card drivers and sound card wouldn't work until
the computer boots up so I wouldn't get a POST failure voice message
reported if the computer never makes it to boot up and fails the POST.

On Mon, 30 May 2005 01:02:34 -0700, Lowel <Me2@privacy.net> wrote:

>Or I guess I could run the green Lineout to my sound card's LineIn.
>
>On Sun, 29 May 2005 23:35:49 -0700, Lowel <Me2@privacy.net> wrote:
>
>>Cool, thanks for the info. Since I am already running the line out
>>of my sound card to the speakers, I guess I will have to get another
>>speaker.
>>
>>On Sun, 29 May 2005 22:48:43 -0400, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:
>>
>>>Vocal POST is only connected to the green Lineout connector on the
>>>back of the computer. It doesn't matter how many sound cards you
>>>install, the Vocal POST is permanently affixed to the green connector.
>>>
>>>Vocal POST does not come through the Windows sound subsystem - it is
>>>an autonomous pair of chips, with output capacitively coupled to
>>>the green connector. Vocal POST will even work, when there are no
>>>components plugged into the motherboard - just motherboard, power
>>>supply, and a power switch, is enough to get it to emit a signal.
>>>
>>> Paul

I would assume that is the case...