The Pentium-D 820 mystery -- apparently not compatible wit..

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
May 30, 2005 1:42:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

For background see page 4 of the following article:-

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/pentiumd-8...

There seems to be a FUNCTIONAL problem with the nF4-SLI(Intel)
chip-set if both cores of the Pentium-D 820 are enabled. Applications
crash or hang, the motherboard re-boots... However, the current
explanation given to Xbit Labs by nVidia is that " we only support the
830 and above - the 820 is too slow for enthusiasts" . Zero technical
explanation for the problem...and a bad answer anyway. Many
enthusiasts that I know buy the least expensive and overclock. None of
the nF4-SLI (Intel) motherboards that claim to support the Pentium-D
mention any exclusion of the 820 in their specs. And Asus seemed to
have been caught totally off-guard by the problem, considering their
reaction as reported by Xbit Labs.

So:-

(a) Did nVidia commit a design blunder ?

If so, I would be highly suspicious of stable performance with
the Pentium-D 830, the next one up in the family. One way to
check for a design blunder by nVidia would be to underclock
the 830, or 840, or Pentium Extreme 840 to 2.8GHz -- particularly
the 840 Extreme, since it has unlocked clock dividers--- in the
same nF4-SLI motherboard(s) in which the Pentium-D 820 fails
and see if they all remain stable. Nobody with access to these
parts has yet done this..........

OR

(b) Did Intel slip something into the P-D 820 unknown to
nVidia that would ensure that their least-expensive, highest
volume dual-core would only work on Intel chip-sets, and just
supply the faster parts to nVidia for their chip-set
qualification ??

OR

(c) Is this physical incompatibility part of the chip-set agreement
between nVidia and Intel to minimise the opportunity for
nVidia to take over the Intel dual-core compatible chip-set
market at a critical time for Intel in terms of chip-set
supply ? The Pentium-D 820 is likely to be the highest
volume dual-core part in the Intel stable.

Remember, unlike AMD, Intel dual-core requires a new
motherboard/chip-set for each dual-core processor shipped.

Maybe the cure is as simple as adding 820 support in BIOS -
since the 820 implementation is not exactly the same as the 830
and 840. However, Asus seemed to be caught unawares by the
problem and nVidia's denial of a fix.

There is no obvious difference between the 820 and its faster brothers
that would explain the failure. Yes, it uses a lower-value clock
multiplier and does not implement Speed-Step, but that is a
functionally-identical state to a P4-2.8 single-core Prescott.

Does that mean that a single-core 2.8 GHz processor would also fail in
an Intel nF4-SLI board ? Probably not, since the P-D 820 with one core
disabled works fine. ( The nF4-SLI chip-set is supposed to be
compatible with both single and dual-core LGA775 processors )

Anyway, for the moment, until this thick smoke-screen by nVidia and
Intel clears, I would highly recommend holding off purchase of any
nF4-SLI (Intel) motherboard, regardless of processor initially
installed -- single, or dual-core - if you are expecting the MB to
eventually function with a dual-core processor. I notice that
the very fine MSI P4N Diamond MB (with software-switching of
SLI, and embedded Creative 24-bit audio) is currently available
from Newegg @ $229. This board is potentially affected by the 820
problem... no comments from MSI, so far.

John Lewis
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 1, 2005 12:15:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

www.monarchcomputer.com is now taking pre-orders on
a first come, first-serve basis. First shipments due June 16.

All 4 variants of the X2 processor too !!

Unit prices as follows:-

X2 4800+ $999
X2 4600+ $822
X2 4400+ $619
X2 4200+ $579

I would expect Newegg to be about 5-10% lower
(except for the 4800+) once they open up for orders.
Newegg does not take pre-orders.

Looks as if AMD is beating Intel to the RETAIL market
in dual-core. AMD appears to be executing their desktop
(and server) processor strategies with perfection these days,
while Intel is stumbling around in darkness of their own
making.

( Intel dual-core will need a new motherboard, DDR2
a beefier power-supply plus a bunch of extra cooling..... )

Think of all those Socket 939 motherboards waiting to
be upgraded (especially the SLI ones..) -- provided the MB
manufacturers pull their fingers out in offering BIOS upgrades
to support the X2 !!!

For the X2 to work reliably, the Socket 939 MB should
have A64 4000+ or FX-55 power-regulator capability.

I expect initial shipments to be small and heavily over-
subscribed.

John Lewis
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 1, 2005 4:10:10 PM

> www.monarchcomputer.com is now taking pre-orders on
> a first come, first-serve basis. First shipments due June 16.
>
> All 4 variants of the X2 processor too !!
>
> Unit prices as follows:-
>
> X2 4800+ $999
> X2 4600+ $822
> X2 4400+ $619
> X2 4200+ $579

I won't be buying a new computer until next year, but hopefully these sorts
of processors will have mainstream pricing by then. I'm pretty confident
they will.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 1, 2005 9:34:48 PM

Wow. I had no idea DRM was embedded in the new Pentium D and chipset
of the 9100. I was seriously considering buying one online today too
but figured I'd come check the trusty forums on everything first.
What will DRM embedded into the chip effectivly mean to the home user
who already has copyrighted materials on hard drives, say externally
and trying to copy internally? The chip sounds great other then all
this big brother junk. How does the pentium d stack up against a P4
w/ HT?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 1, 2005 10:44:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Seems as if big-brothers Intel and M$$ have our true interests at
heart :--

http://www.digitmag.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=4915

In the case of Intel "pride (arrogance) may come before the fall"
The Pentium-D is already architecturally in deep trouble; why add
this extra burden ?? No doubt depending on Dell's volume and its
technically-naive customer-base to help dig them out for at
least the next year.

John Lewis
June 1, 2005 11:46:23 PM

"John Lewis" <john.dsl@verizon.net> wrote in message news:429e004a.3456096@news.verizon.net...
> Seems as if big-brothers Intel and M$$ have our true interests at
> heart :--
>
> http://www.digitmag.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=4915
>
> In the case of Intel "pride (arrogance) may come before the fall"
> The Pentium-D is already architecturally in deep trouble; why add
> this extra burden ?? No doubt depending on Dell's volume and its
> technically-naive customer-base to help dig them out for at
> least the next year.
>
> John Lewis

How do the concerns expressed in this article equate to
anyone being a "DRM paranoid"? But in any case thanks
for the link.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 2, 2005 9:17:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

> Seems as if big-brothers Intel and M$$ have our true interests at
> heart :--
>
> http://www.digitmag.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=4915
>
> In the case of Intel "pride (arrogance) may come before the fall"
> The Pentium-D is already architecturally in deep trouble; why add
> this extra burden ?? No doubt depending on Dell's volume and its
> technically-naive customer-base to help dig them out for at
> least the next year.
>
> John Lewis

Hyperthreading is the only thing making me still buy Intel P4s for server
use; from now on it's Athlon 64 x2 for me (when price comes down).
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 2, 2005 10:32:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Besides DRM, what's wrong with Prescott and -D 820?

Not that I care because the only Intel I've paid for is PIII and
Pentium-M...

T.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 3, 2005 3:57:45 AM

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 17:17:56 -0500, "Kroagnon" <kroagnon@kroagnon.com>
wrote:

>"John Lewis" <john.dsl@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> Seems as if big-brothers Intel and M$$ have our true interests at
>> heart :--
>>
>> http://www.digitmag.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=4915
>>
>> In the case of Intel "pride (arrogance) may come before the fall"
>> The Pentium-D is already architecturally in deep trouble; why add
>> this extra burden ?? No doubt depending on Dell's volume and its
>> technically-naive customer-base to help dig them out for at
>> least the next year.
>>
>> John Lewis
>
>Hyperthreading is the only thing making me still buy Intel P4s for server
>use; from now on it's Athlon 64 x2 for me (when price comes down).

Similarly. For lots of excellent reasons other than DRM.

Any so-called "enthusiast" who buys one of the current-generation
Intel dual-core processors (or Intel-based dual-core desktop systems)
should have his/her head examined for embedded sawdust.

John Lewis

( I have only ever built/used systems with Intel processors
up to this point..... )
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 3, 2005 9:29:42 AM

On 2 Jun 2005 18:32:22 -0700, tlai909@visto.com wrote:

>Besides DRM, what's wrong with Prescott and -D 820?
>
>Not that I care because the only Intel I've paid for is PIII and
>Pentium-M...

How would you like an inefficient room-warmer ? For a start.

See Anandtech and Xbit Labs articles on dual-core
processors. And if you want to really get into
it technically.. read the recent Xbit Labs articles on Intel
Netburst. You are lucky to have PIII and Pentium-M.
Both excellent architectures.

John Lewis

>T.

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 3, 2005 2:59:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

In article <1117762342.753179.245480@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
says...
> Besides DRM, what's wrong with Prescott and -D 820?

The fact that you'll not be able to get it running at full whack for
long periods because it'll overheat and slow itself down.

--
Conor

"Be incomprehensible. If they can't understand, they can't disagree"
June 3, 2005 4:26:15 PM

On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 10:59:19 +0100, Conor <conor.turton@gmail.com>
wrote:

>> Besides DRM, what's wrong with Prescott and -D 820?

>The fact that you'll not be able to get it running at full whack for
>long periods because it'll overheat and slow itself down.

My son runs a 3.2 GHz P4 Prescott with a Zalman copper heat sink

http://www.directron.com/cnps7700cu.html

and the CPU temp stays below 40C. The retail box cooler was a joke.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 3, 2005 7:59:14 PM

In article <42a04c07.164285921@news-server.houston.rr.com>, Bob says...
> On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 10:59:19 +0100, Conor <conor.turton@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >> Besides DRM, what's wrong with Prescott and -D 820?
>
> >The fact that you'll not be able to get it running at full whack for
> >long periods because it'll overheat and slow itself down.
>
> My son runs a 3.2 GHz P4 Prescott with a Zalman copper heat sink
>
> http://www.directron.com/cnps7700cu.html
>
> and the CPU temp stays below 40C. The retail box cooler was a joke.

Very good. Now try running 3DMArk05 CPU test in a constant loop and see
how long it is before the speed drops.

--
Conor

"Be incomprehensible. If they can't understand, they can't disagree"
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 3, 2005 7:59:15 PM

On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 15:59:14 +0100, Conor <conor.turton@gmail.com>
wrote:

>In article <42a04c07.164285921@news-server.houston.rr.com>, Bob says...

>> >The fact that you'll not be able to get it running at full whack for
>> >long periods because it'll overheat and slow itself down.
>>
>> My son runs a 3.2 GHz P4 Prescott with a Zalman copper heat sink
>>
>> http://www.directron.com/cnps7700cu.html
>>
>> and the CPU temp stays below 40C. The retail box cooler was a joke.
>>
>Very good. Now try running 3DMArk05 CPU test in a constant loop and see
>how long it is before the speed drops.

With a Zalman Cu, the 3.2GHz P4 Prescott should be fine.
However try with the same heatsink and running 2-thread CPU stress
on the Pentium-D 820......slow-down pretty-well guaranteed without
additional forced-air cooling of the heatsink. Intel, in their great
big-brother wisdom even deliberately left the power-saving SpeedStep
out of the P-D 820. Must be afraid that people will try to overclock
their least expensive offering instead of buying the higher members
of the P-D family.

Intel's current bumblings and arrogant big-brother activities with
their desktop processors deserve reward. I hope AMD takes a big
chunk of this business. Dell will continue to bale Intel out no doubt,

although Michael must be getting very uncomfortable --- especially
on the rapidly-growing server side of Dell's business, where the
Opteron is now the obvious choice from a performance/power
point-of-view.

John Lewis

wrote:

>Very good. Now try running 3DMArk05 CPU test in a constant loop and see
>how long it is before the speed drops.

If he pins the CPU at 100% (according to Task Manager) when he rips
DVDs, why would running a CPU stress utility be any different?
June 3, 2005 8:30:27 PM

On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 15:31:22 GMT, john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis)
wrote:

>Intel's current bumblings and arrogant big-brother activities with
>their desktop processors deserve reward.

Has anyone consulted the Patriot Act to see if there is a requirement
for this mandated by the federal govt.

Actually the govt doesn't need any Act to do whatever it wants. For
example Congress passed the so-called Brady Law which was responsible
for "Instant Checks" on a prospective gun buyer's background. The law
stated explicitly that the govt (in this case the FBI) could keep the
information about the buyer for 48 hours then it had to destroy it.

Fast forward a year or so and we discover that the FBI is blatantly
breaking the law by keeping data on gun buyers processed by the
Instant Check system. So the NRA takes the FBI to court and the case
works its way up to the US Supreme Court.

The US SC ruled that the FBI could continue to their practive of
keeping information even though it is explicitly outlawed by Congress.
That's because it is the "right" of the FBI to do whatever it damn
pleases. Nevermind it completely ignored all the warnings about 911,
including a delegation of intelligence people working for the Massoud
who came to Washington personally to show the FBI its intelligence
gathering. No one would see them when they arrived.

The point of all this is there is ample precedent for the govt acting
like a fascist dictatorship with the full blessing of the highest
court in the land. And Intel is just doing its part to fight
terrorism. HA!

Anyone remember Richard Jewell? Or Ruby Ridge? How about the Waco
Massacre? Can you say "Seig Heil!". There, I knew you could.

Intel: "Big Brother Inside!"
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 3, 2005 9:50:52 PM

<tlai909@visto.com> wrote in message
> Besides DRM, what's wrong with Prescott and -D 820?
>
> Not that I care because the only Intel I've paid for is PIII and
> Pentium-M...

Heat and power consumption on the Prescott.

As for the P-D there are similar heat and power consumption issues and I
believe that it also lacks x64 capability.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 4, 2005 12:07:49 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

spam@spamcop.com (Bob) looked up from reading the entrails of the porn
spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

>On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 15:59:14 +0100, Conor <conor.turton@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Very good. Now try running 3DMArk05 CPU test in a constant loop and see
>>how long it is before the speed drops.
>
>If he pins the CPU at 100% (according to Task Manager) when he rips
>DVDs, why would running a CPU stress utility be any different?

Because the stress test is measuring the actual performance over a
period of time, task manager is only telling you the percentage of
AVAILABLE CPU that is being used.

IE if the processor is running at half speed, 3dmark is going to spit
out a final number that is considerably smaller than it would if it were
running at full speed.
Task Manager on the other hand will tell you it's using 100% of cpu to
rip dvds whether the cpu is running at full or at half speed- the TIME
the ripping takes will be different, but the cpu usage will be the same.

Xocyll
a b V Motherboard
June 4, 2005 12:10:44 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

spam@spamcop.com (Bob) looked up from reading the entrails of the porn
spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

>On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 15:31:22 GMT, john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis)
>wrote:
>
>>Intel's current bumblings and arrogant big-brother activities with
>>their desktop processors deserve reward.
>
>Has anyone consulted the Patriot Act to see if there is a requirement
>for this mandated by the federal govt.

Since AMD is also an American company and they AREN'T doing this, i'd
say you're way off base here.

Intel is fully capable of shooting off their feet without help from the
government.

Xocyll
a b V Motherboard
June 4, 2005 4:48:12 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

x-no-archive: yes

John Lewis wrote:

> Seems as if big-brothers Intel and M$$ have our true interests
> at heart :--
>
> http://www.digitmag.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=4915

this topic is of IMMENSE IMPORTANCE!
let me repeat... of immense importance!
you should have "broken" the thread instead of only renaming
the subject...
i totally oppose any kind of hardware drm implementation, so
this move by intel only gives me more arguments to support
AMD the now best cpu maker for the pc

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

to check authenticity of the real "steamKILLER" reassure that
the post came from a google server and that the email address
is "sayNO2steam@yahoo.com"
June 4, 2005 5:20:10 AM

On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 20:10:44 -0700, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net>
wrote:

>>Has anyone consulted the Patriot Act to see if there is a requirement
>>for this mandated by the federal govt.

>Since AMD is also an American company and they AREN'T doing this, i'd
>say you're way off base here.

>Intel is fully capable of shooting off their feet without help from the
>government.

There is a lot more to this than a company shooting off its feet.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 4, 2005 5:50:37 AM

On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 17:50:52 -0500, "Kroagnon" <kroagnon@kroagnon.com>
wrote:

><tlai909@visto.com> wrote in message
>> Besides DRM, what's wrong with Prescott and -D 820?
>>
>> Not that I care because the only Intel I've paid for is PIII and
>> Pentium-M...
>
>Heat and power consumption on the Prescott.
>
>As for the P-D there are similar heat and power consumption issues

> and I
>believe that it also lacks x64 capability.

Nope, you are thinking of the even-numbered CPUs in the 5xx series
540,550 etc... Some odd-numbered ones are coming with 64-bit
enabled.... and people said that AMD's processor numbering scheme
is screwed up ? Nothing in comparison to Intel's present mess.
What other stupid company would give a Pentium-D (dual-core with no
HT) and the Pentium Extreme (dual-core with HT) exactly the same
number --- 840.

The 6xx and 8xx have EM64T enabled. How well does Intel's
64-bit hardware work ? Nobody has yet done a side-by-side
comparison of Intel's implementation with either the A64
RevE (with SSE3) or the X2.

John Lewis

June 4, 2005 2:31:05 PM

On 4 Jun 2005 00:48:12 -0700, "steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>this move by intel only gives me more arguments to support
>AMD the now best cpu maker for the pc

How do you know that AMD has not secretly agreed to do the same thing.

This question needs to be answered: Why did Intel do what they did?
What's in it for them?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 4, 2005 2:31:06 PM

On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 10:31:05 GMT, spam@spamcop.com (Bob) wrote:

>On 4 Jun 2005 00:48:12 -0700, "steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com>
>wrote:
>
>>this move by intel only gives me more arguments to support
>>AMD the now best cpu maker for the pc
>
>How do you know that AMD has not secretly agreed to do the same thing.

Congrats, you just found the comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action troll.

In any case, AMD is a leader of the group bringin in DRM hardware, as they
are a high-level member of the group:
https://www.trustedcomputinggroup.org/about/members

He'll have to ditch Microsoft as well - they're in on it too.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 4, 2005 3:35:32 PM

In article <42a08369.8218546@news-server.houston.rr.com>, Bob says...
> On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 15:31:22 GMT, john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis)
> wrote:
>
> >Intel's current bumblings and arrogant big-brother activities with
> >their desktop processors deserve reward.
>
> Has anyone consulted the Patriot Act to see if there is a requirement
> for this mandated by the federal govt.

<snip>

No. I do not live in that totalitarian state known as the USA.

--
Conor

"Be incomprehensible. If they can't understand, they can't disagree"
June 4, 2005 3:35:33 PM

On Sat, 4 Jun 2005 11:35:32 +0100, Conor <conor.turton@gmail.com>
wrote:

>No. I do not live in that totalitarian state known as the USA.

The US is not a totalitarian dictatorship like Britain - not yet
anyway. It is a fascist dictatorship.

The distinguishing feature is we have a fully-populated political
spectrum, from Farleft to FarRight. That alone keeps us from being
totalitarian.

Britain, on the other hand, has no Right - despite the fantasy that
they think they do. Thatcher was a gun-grabbing leftist no different
from any of the leftists before her. The closest anyone in British
politics comes to the Right is Ann Widdecome. Yet she too supports
socialized medicine which disqualifies here from being truly on the
Right.

Therefore Britain has no political opposition parties - everyone of
the parties is leftist, including the BNP.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 5, 2005 11:56:30 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

> > Seems as if big-brothers Intel and M$$ have our true interests
> > at heart :--
> >
> > http://www.digitmag.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=4915
>
> this topic is of IMMENSE IMPORTANCE!
> let me repeat... of immense importance!
> you should have "broken" the thread instead of only renaming
> the subject...
> i totally oppose any kind of hardware drm implementation, so
> this move by intel only gives me more arguments to support
> AMD the now best cpu maker for the pc

Bill Gates will finally get his wish "to make the Chinese finally PAY for
software."

This is an issue that is not going to go away. Why? Because the overwhelming
majority of PC buyers are average Joe Americans who spend too much time
watching TV "reality" shows and "American Idol" and not enough time paying
attention to where the nation is going, if any.

DRM will get slipped in, just as "activation" and "dongles" got slipped
in--a phased approach over time. How? By dangling carrots in front of us. In
order to use that fantastic new software that you have your eye on, you'll
need Intels new DRM chip to run it. Eventually, Microsoft's Palladium core
will appear in a major OS release, and the marriage between Intel and
Microsoft will be consummated. And Apple is next... to get Intel chips. The
Mac won't be impervious to this menace. With it's announcement recently that
it will be ditching the PowerPC chips in favor of Intel CPUs, the new
relationship, in light of this DRM issue, takes on an ominous overtone.

In short, I think it's going to be a reality, and will eventually get
accepted by the masses and grudgingly accepted by the power users, as they
find themselves left behind running yesteryear's software. With HDTV coming
of age, and the coming crop of HDTV editing applications for PCs, the carrot
will be a big one. One could conceivably be forced to buy one of these Intel
DRM'ed chips and a new MS OS with Palladium, in order to run the new HDTV
editing programs. It's that, or be left in the stone age of standard def TV
editing on Windows 2000/XP.

The only hope of slowing this down would be a big public education campaign.
But with the corporate-controlled media, that will not happen.

--
Take care,

Mark & Mary Ann Weiss

VIDEO PRODUCTION . FILM SCANNING . DVD MASTERING . AUDIO RESTORATION
Hear my Kurzweil Creations at: http://www.dv-clips.com/theater.htm
Business sites at:
www.dv-clips.com
www.mwcomms.com
www.adventuresinanimemusic.com
-
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 6, 2005 5:09:20 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Yet another Via screw-up......

See:-

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/chipsets/display/200506030...

Via's recent chipset history in terms of compatibility with either
CPUs or GPUs has been less than rosy. Lousy or hurried QC
probably....

John Lewis
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 10, 2005 8:26:40 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

See:-

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20050603/index.html

for all the sordid details.

( If you are browsing the 'live' pages in this report, frequently
refresh them in your browser ! Otherwise you are likely to be looking
at stale cached information.... )

AMD's dual-core keeps chugging along in the midst of the Intel
debacle. In the earlier tests when SLI was actually fully running, a
maximum temperature of 60 degrees C for the AMD 4800+ X2
(99% loaded both cores) was recorded. No AMD crashes. The Intel
Extreme 840 CPU also in SLI mode, (and between frequent crashes)
recorded a temperature of 68 degrees C. That was before THG's test
people gave up on SLI in the midst of fried Intel-compatible
motherboards. More likely another MB power-regulator failure than SLI
chip-set failure in the case of the nvidia Northbridge getting very
hot.... Seems as if some third-party "dual-core-compatible" Intel MBs
cannot survive the power-drain of a fully-loaded Extreme-840 CPU...

BTW, the Intel recommended maximum temp for the Extreme-840
processor is 69.8 degrees C.... 68 degrees during the SLI tests is
running just a little too close....

Intel desktop dual-core processors are obviously not ready for
prime-time and probably never will be while based on the P4 Netburst
architecture and an external memory controller.

A good time to buy stock in companies providing beefy and reliable PC
power-supplies, advanced PC cooling solutions and room
air-conditioners. Buy the products yourself if you ever go the Intel
dual-core route.

John Lewis
June 11, 2005 9:25:07 PM

> See:-
>
> http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20050603/index.html
>
> for all the sordid details.
>
> ( If you are browsing the 'live' pages in this report, frequently
> refresh them in your browser ! Otherwise you are likely to be looking
> at stale cached information.... )
>
> AMD's dual-core keeps chugging along in the midst of the Intel
> debacle. In the earlier tests when SLI was actually fully running, a
> maximum temperature of 60 degrees C for the AMD 4800+ X2
> (99% loaded both cores) was recorded. No AMD crashes. The Intel
> Extreme 840 CPU also in SLI mode, (and between frequent crashes)
> recorded a temperature of 68 degrees C. That was before THG's test
> people gave up on SLI in the midst of fried Intel-compatible
> motherboards. More likely another MB power-regulator failure than SLI
> chip-set failure in the case of the nvidia Northbridge getting very
> hot.... Seems as if some third-party "dual-core-compatible" Intel MBs
> cannot survive the power-drain of a fully-loaded Extreme-840 CPU...
>
> BTW, the Intel recommended maximum temp for the Extreme-840
> processor is 69.8 degrees C.... 68 degrees during the SLI tests is
> running just a little too close....
>
> Intel desktop dual-core processors are obviously not ready for
> prime-time and probably never will be while based on the P4 Netburst
> architecture and an external memory controller.
>
> A good time to buy stock in companies providing beefy and reliable PC
> power-supplies, advanced PC cooling solutions and room
> air-conditioners. Buy the products yourself if you ever go the Intel
> dual-core route.
>
> John Lewis

LOL This line of reasoning comes up every upgrade from BOTH sides.
Lets pray both chips rock and both companies stay in business.
That's the best outcome for consumers ;-)

a b V Motherboard
June 19, 2005 12:19:51 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On 2 Jun 2005 18:32:22 -0700, tlai909@visto.com wrote:

>Besides DRM, what's wrong with Prescott and -D 820?
>
>Not that I care because the only Intel I've paid for is PIII and
>Pentium-M...
>
>T.

If you read recent news Intel is going to switch over updated and multi-core Pentium M technology
for everything by next year.
Right now a Dual Xeon setup it's the best bet anyway even if they are Prescott core based the server
package and core themselves are way better than the desktop Prescott thing...
Also, Pentium D and Pentium 4 Prescott based products cost as much as a Xeon 2.8GHz FSB800 socket604
CPU.. so buying a Dual Xeon PC it's not that expensive like it was in the past.
!