CD Drive just doesn't want to work...

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

Hello, yesterday i made a few cd's (about 4 or 5) and the next morning i went
to turn on my computer. Once turned on i opened up "my computer" folder on
the desktop and to my surprise i couldn't find a D drive (cd rom drive) I
have the liteon LTR-52327S

In device manager it shows up with a yellow (!) and in properties under
device status it says:

"Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be
corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device."

Now i've tried uninstalling it and autodetecting it through device manager
and that didn't work, i then tried to physically uninstall it and that still
didn't work. I also searched for drivers but they all say that it runs on the
standard windows drivers.

I'm completely stuck, i dont know what else to do...any help?

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

I forgot to say that i have windows xp pro and running sp2.

"Pete" wrote:

> Hello, yesterday i made a few cd's (about 4 or 5) and the next morning i went
> to turn on my computer. Once turned on i opened up "my computer" folder on
> the desktop and to my surprise i couldn't find a D drive (cd rom drive) I
> have the liteon LTR-52327S
>
> In device manager it shows up with a yellow (!) and in properties under
> device status it says:
>
> "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be
> corrupted or missing. (Code 39)
>
> Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device."
>
> Now i've tried uninstalling it and autodetecting it through device manager
> and that didn't work, i then tried to physically uninstall it and that still
> didn't work. I also searched for drivers but they all say that it runs on the
> standard windows drivers.
>
> I'm completely stuck, i dont know what else to do...any help?

anton

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2001

again.Go down to your IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers and
uninstall your IDE channel that's connected to your cd rom
drive. You can uninstall both if you're not sure wich one
it is. Do not press the autodetect button, but restart
your computer. Don't worry, your windows OS will detect
the devices again and install the right driver for it.

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

I did what you told me, and unfortunately it still has the yellow (!) with
that message i previously stated and it isn't showing up in My Computer. Any
more help?

"Anton" wrote:

> [...]

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320553

"CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM drive appears to be missing after you install
Windows XP"

The bad registry keys that cause the problem can be produced in other ways
than by performing an XP upgrade installation.

If you don't wish to edit the Registry by hand, there are automated ways:

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_cd_dvd_fix.htm

Good luck.