Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.asus,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I just did a reinstall of XP and now I have no sound. I am getting the
folloing error message with Winamp:
DirectSound Output v. 2.3 (d) error
Bad DirectSound driver. Please install proper drivers or select another
device in configuration. Error Code: 88780078
Looked into this error code and found that for most they only had no
sound in Winamp but I have no sound at all not even the startup or shutdown
Windows sounds.
In the device manager the SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio is marked
with a problem and states that Windows cannot load the driver device for
this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing.
In the DXDIAG window it doesn't show a sound card as even being
installed or present.
I've tried reinstalling the latest drivers for it and it goes through
with no problem but they don't work.
Does anyone have any knowledge of this error code and/or a solution?
Is there any reason to think that if I bought a PCI audio card it would
or would not work as well?

Malke

Diaboyos wrote:

> I just did a reinstall of XP and now I have no sound. I am
> getting the
> folloing error message with Winamp:
> DirectSound Output v. 2.3 (d) error
> Bad DirectSound driver. Please install proper drivers or select
> another
> device in configuration. Error Code: 88780078
> Looked into this error code and found that for most they only had
> no
> sound in Winamp but I have no sound at all not even the startup or
> shutdown Windows sounds.
> In the device manager the SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio is
> marked
> with a problem and states that Windows cannot load the driver device
> for
> this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing.
> In the DXDIAG window it doesn't show a sound card as even being
> installed or present.
> I've tried reinstalling the latest drivers for it and it goes
> through
> with no problem but they don't work.
> Does anyone have any knowledge of this error code and/or a
> solution? Is there any reason to think that if I bought a PCI
> audio card it would
> or would not work as well?

Googling for that error brings up quite a few errors, all connected with
Winamp. Since you reinstalled Windows, I'd do this:

1. Make sure the onboard sound is enabled in the BIOS. It probably is,
but I'm just mentioning it to be thorough.

2. You didn't say where you got the drivers. Make sure they are the
latest drivers. Get them from your motherboard mftr. or the OEM's
website if you have an OEM computer (Dell, eMachines, Sony, etc.).
Don't do anything with them yet.

3. Then uninstall/remove the references to your sound device in Device
Manager.

4. Reboot and see if Windows finds the sound card. If it does, does it
assign drivers and do you have sound? If it doesn't assign drivers,
install the ones you got and check to see if you have sound. If not,
continue.

5. Check out this link from the Google search and see if it might help:
http://www.ozzu.com/ftopic24932.html

6. If you get no joy with any of that, try disabling the onboard sound
from the BIOS and throw in a pci sound card. You can get one for under
$25USD - or borrow one from a techie friend who probably has a few
lying around.

Post back with results of your troubleshooting for more help.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Malke wrote:

>Diaboyos wrote:
>

>> I just did a reinstall of XP and now I have no sound. I am
>> getting the
>>folloing error message with Winamp:
>> DirectSound Output v. 2.3 (d) error
>> Bad DirectSound driver. Please install proper drivers or select
>> another
>>device in configuration. Error Code: 88780078
>> Looked into this error code and found that for most they only had
>> no
>>sound in Winamp but I have no sound at all not even the startup or
>>shutdown Windows sounds.
>> In the device manager the SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio is
>> marked
>>with a problem and states that Windows cannot load the driver device
>>for
>>this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing.
>> In the DXDIAG window it doesn't show a sound card as even being
>>installed or present.
>> I've tried reinstalling the latest drivers for it and it goes
>> through
>>with no problem but they don't work.
>> Does anyone have any knowledge of this error code and/or a
>> solution? Is there any reason to think that if I bought a PCI
>> audio card it would
>>or would not work as well?
>>

>Googling for that error brings up quite a few errors, all connected with
>Winamp. Since you reinstalled Windows, I'd do this:
>
>1. Make sure the onboard sound is enabled in the BIOS. It probably is,
>but I'm just mentioning it to be thorough.
>
>2. You didn't say where you got the drivers. Make sure they are the
>latest drivers. Get them from your motherboard mftr. or the OEM's
>website if you have an OEM computer (Dell, eMachines, Sony, etc.).
>Don't do anything with them yet.
>
>3. Then uninstall/remove the references to your sound device in Device
>Manager.
>
>4. Reboot and see if Windows finds the sound card. If it does, does it
>assign drivers and do you have sound? If it doesn't assign drivers,
>install the ones you got and check to see if you have sound. If not,
>continue.
>
>5. Check out this link from the Google search and see if it might help:
>http://www.ozzu.com/ftopic24932.html
>
>6. If you get no joy with any of that, try disabling the onboard sound
>from the BIOS and throw in a pci sound card. You can get one for under
>$25USD - or borrow one from a techie friend who probably has a few
>lying around.
>
>Post back with results of your troubleshooting for more help.
>
>Malke

Before getting into the sound installation you might make sure that the
updates to XP are done, to include installing /updating your DirectX to
ver 9.0c, as the reinstall probably isn't as current as what you were
running.
Rob

> Diaboyos wrote:
>
>> I just did a reinstall of XP and now I have no sound. I am
>> getting the
>> folloing error message with Winamp:
>> DirectSound Output v. 2.3 (d) error
>> Bad DirectSound driver. Please install proper drivers or select
>> another
>> device in configuration. Error Code: 88780078
>> Looked into this error code and found that for most they only had
>> no
>> sound in Winamp but I have no sound at all not even the startup or
>> shutdown Windows sounds.
>> In the device manager the SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio is
>> marked
>> with a problem and states that Windows cannot load the driver device
>> for
>> this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing.
>> In the DXDIAG window it doesn't show a sound card as even being
>> installed or present.
>> I've tried reinstalling the latest drivers for it and it goes
>> through
>> with no problem but they don't work.
>> Does anyone have any knowledge of this error code and/or a
>> solution? Is there any reason to think that if I bought a PCI
>> audio card it would
>> or would not work as well?
>
> Googling for that error brings up quite a few errors, all connected with
> Winamp. Since you reinstalled Windows, I'd do this:
>
> 1. Make sure the onboard sound is enabled in the BIOS. It probably is,
> but I'm just mentioning it to be thorough.
>
> 2. You didn't say where you got the drivers. Make sure they are the
> latest drivers. Get them from your motherboard mftr. or the OEM's
> website if you have an OEM computer (Dell, eMachines, Sony, etc.).
> Don't do anything with them yet.
>
> 3. Then uninstall/remove the references to your sound device in Device
> Manager.
>
> 4. Reboot and see if Windows finds the sound card. If it does, does it
> assign drivers and do you have sound? If it doesn't assign drivers,
> install the ones you got and check to see if you have sound. If not,
> continue.
>
> 5. Check out this link from the Google search and see if it might help:
> http://www.ozzu.com/ftopic24932.html
>
> 6. If you get no joy with any of that, try disabling the onboard sound
> from the BIOS and throw in a pci sound card. You can get one for under
> $25USD - or borrow one from a techie friend who probably has a few
> lying around.
>
> Post back with results of your troubleshooting for more help.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Sound is enabled in BIOS. I got the drivers from the ASUS website for
the onboard sound card. I have tried uninstalling the card and rebooting.
It does find the card and tries to install the drivers for it but the same
thing happens. I found that same link yesterday when I was searching
around, but no help there. I'm going now to buy a PCI sound card and
praying that fixes the problem.

"Rob" <robc@insightbb.spambone.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>>$25USD - or borrow one from a techie friend who probably has a few
>>lying around.
>>
>>Post back with results of your troubleshooting for more help.
>>
>>Malke
>>
> Before getting into the sound installation you might make sure that the
> updates to XP are done, to include installing /updating your DirectX to
> ver 9.0c, as the reinstall probably isn't as current as what you were
> running.
> Rob

Sound is enabled in BIOS. I got the drivers from the ASUS website for
the onboard sound card. I have tried uninstalling the card and rebooting.
It does find the card and tries to install the drivers for it but the same
thing happens. I found that same link yesterday when I was searching
around, but no help there. I'm going now to buy a PCI sound card and
praying that fixes the problem. Got DX 9.0c too, but the sound card doesn't
show as even being present in the dxdiag window still.

> [...]
> lying around.
>
> Post back with results of your troubleshooting for more help.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Sound is enabled in BIOS. I got the drivers from the ASUS website for
the onboard sound card. I have tried uninstalling the card and rebooting.
It does find the card and tries to install the drivers for it but the same
thing happens. I found that same link yesterday when I was searching
around, but no help there. I'm going now to buy a PCI sound card and
praying that fixes the problem.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.asus,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

If you reloaded Windows, then you ALSO have to reload the Audio driver for
your motherboard's sound chip from your motherboard's installation CD.

--
DaveW

"Diaboyos" <diaboyos@aafa.net> wrote in message
> I just did a reinstall of XP and now I have no sound. I am getting the
> folloing error message with Winamp:
> DirectSound Output v. 2.3 (d) error
> Bad DirectSound driver. Please install proper drivers or select
> another device in configuration. Error Code: 88780078
> Looked into this error code and found that for most they only had no
> sound in Winamp but I have no sound at all not even the startup or
> shutdown Windows sounds.
> In the device manager the SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio is marked
> with a problem and states that Windows cannot load the driver device for
> this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing.
> In the DXDIAG window it doesn't show a sound card as even being
> installed or present.
> I've tried reinstalling the latest drivers for it and it goes through
> with no problem but they don't work.
> Does anyone have any knowledge of this error code and/or a solution?
> Is there any reason to think that if I bought a PCI audio card it would
> or would not work as well?

Malke

DaveW wrote:

> If you reloaded Windows, then you ALSO have to reload the Audio driver
> for your motherboard's sound chip from your motherboard's installation
> CD.

He said that he did.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.asus,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

OK. I did ANOTHER reinstall of Windows today. Whew what a pain. Oh wait
lemme back up a step. I bought a sound card and that didn't work either.
Same problem...told me the drivers were corrupt or missing in device manager
and didnt show up at all in dxdiag. So I decided to do another reinstall
and pray for the best.
After the 2nd reinstall the sound works and I've narrowed the problem
source down to SP2 or a windows update after SP2.
After the first reinstall I updated windows completely before adding
anything else, so I couldn't really tell which update did it. This time I
installed my stuff first and updated to where I was before I reinstalled the
first time which is right before SP2. So now I have two working sound cards
the onboard and the pci card lol.
So now I'm trying to decide if I wanna stay where I am or try SP2 again.