Question about Barcode Scanner connection

ey all,

Someone gave me a laser Barcode scanner that has a cord
consiisting of an rj-11 (phone cord end) connector (the scanner end)
and an rj-45 (CAT5-like end) at the the end of the cable. I can
unplug the rj-11 from the back of the scanner. Now, is there a
cable/converter that has the rj-11 (phone-like) at one end (so i can
plug it into the scanner) and a usb or ps2 connector at the other end
so i can put it in the computer and use it? You can also reach me at
magicianstalk@hotmail.com

Thanks,

That scanner probably requires what is called a "keyboard wedge". The only
way to know for sure is to go to the scanner mfg website.

"magicianstalk" wrote:

> ey all,
>
> Someone gave me a laser Barcode scanner that has a cord
> consiisting of an rj-11 (phone cord end) connector (the scanner end)
> and an rj-45 (CAT5-like end) at the the end of the cable. I can
> unplug the rj-11 from the back of the scanner. Now, is there a
> cable/converter that has the rj-11 (phone-like) at one end (so i can
> plug it into the scanner) and a usb or ps2 connector at the other end
> so i can put it in the computer and use it? You can also reach me at
> magicianstalk@hotmail.com
>
> Thanks,

You need to find out how your bar code scanner works and what type of
interface it supports. It will typically either have a "Kyeboard
Wedge" interface, a RS232 serial interface or a TTL interface
If it is a TTL output then you will need a device called a "Wedge
Decoder" that will actually decode the output from the scanner and
provide a keyboard connector to your PC so that you can plug it into
the keyboard port.

If it has a keyboard wedge interface then you will need to contact the
manufacturer of the scanner to find out how you can get a converter
plug so you can connect it to the keyboard port on your PC.

If it has a RS232 serial output you will also need to get (or make) a
adapter to convert the connector to a standard DB9 serial connector.
In this case you will also need to get (or develop) software that
reads the data transmitted by the bar code scanner from the serial
port on your PC.
A very good software product for interfacing RS232 bar code scanners
to a PC called BCWedge is available from TAL Technologies at:
http://www.taltech.com/products/bcwedge.html