Faster Dothans on the Way for CT-479?

AJB

Hey,
Will the Asus ct-479 adapter socket accept faster Dothan (Pentium M's ) in
the future???? I understand they can plug in a Asus 875P board with 1021
bios update. Aj

Paul

Splendid

In article <TNpne.3220$Tc.2274@read2.cgocable.net>, "ajb"
<aj.brun@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey,
> Will the Asus ct-479 adapter socket accept faster Dothan (Pentium M's ) in
> the future???? I understand they can plug in a Asus 875P board with 1021
> bios update. Aj

Well, I read one article where they overclocked one, and it still
worked. I guess that could be interpreted to mean that a faster
stock unit would work. According to an earlier Anandtech article,
they claimed there may be one faster chip released this year, but
if that theory is true, it is likely to be a tiny step and not a
big one. (Users may have to use "wire tricks" in the socket, to
get higher Vcore values. It still seems to overclock pretty good,
even without extra voltage.)

If anything looks promising, it is the notion that the prices could
drop on the processors. That will make CT-479 much more popular.

I wish more was known about the design of the CT-479. About
the only part I recognize on there, is a MOSFET (from a-power).
I don't see signs of a conventional switching power solution,
and the VID uses a different coding and step size than a P4.
So, I cannot figure out how that thing gets power. The MOSFET
would be underpowered if it was used in a linear regulator
circuit, so that cannot be what the MOSFET is for. I guess
I'll wait for someone else to reverse engineer it.

Paul