USB drive plugged in and system slows down?!

I have a USB drive that worked fine on one system (winXP pro).

Then when I plugged it into another system running XP home, the drive lights
shows alot of activity, but all the host computer do is make a "boing" sound
(when USB device is detected) and slow way down (many key clicks do no
respond for half a minute). It doesn't even pop up the autoplay dialog. And
the drive doesn't show up on window explorer. As soon as I shutdown the
drive or pull the USB cable, the computer speeds up again.

I tried it on a 3rd PC, also running XP home. Same problem.

I have already disabled autoplay on all drives and on all device types using
tweakui. What else could cause the drive to be scanned/accessed as soon as
it is plugged in and before showing up in explorer list of drive?
7 answers Last reply
More about drive plugged system slows down

    Once you hear the 'boing' sound, right click on My Computer and select
    Manage. On the following screen, click on Disk Management. Does it appear
    on the right hand side as "Removable Disk"? If so, assign it a drive
    letter.
    www.coribright.com

    "peter" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >I have a USB drive that worked fine on one system (winXP pro).
    >
    > Then when I plugged it into another system running XP home, the drive
    > lights
    > shows alot of activity, but all the host computer do is make a "boing"
    > sound
    > (when USB device is detected) and slow way down (many key clicks do no
    > respond for half a minute). It doesn't even pop up the autoplay dialog.
    > And
    > the drive doesn't show up on window explorer. As soon as I shutdown the
    > drive or pull the USB cable, the computer speeds up again.
    >
    > I tried it on a 3rd PC, also running XP home. Same problem.
    >
    > I have already disabled autoplay on all drives and on all device types
    > using
    > tweakui. What else could cause the drive to be scanned/accessed as soon as
    > it is plugged in and before showing up in explorer list of drive?

    I wonder if the external is a dynamic disk (or is it possible to have a
    dynamic disk as an external)?

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    Cari (MS-MVP) wrote:
    > Once you hear the 'boing' sound, right click on My Computer and select
    > Manage. On the following screen, click on Disk Management. Does it appear
    > on the right hand side as "Removable Disk"? If so, assign it a drive
    > letter.

    Can't test out that theory, don't have any external drives! Plenty of
    network drives, but nothing external. Never had the need (so far), there's
    always an IDE Controller spare somewhere on my network. At least there's
    now just one (on the Server).
    www.coribright.com

    "Nathan McNulty" <nospam@msn.com> wrote in message
    >I wonder if the external is a dynamic disk (or is it possible to have a
    >dynamic disk as an external)?
    >
    > ----
    > Nathan McNulty

    I believe the limitation for dynamic disks is that it can't be in a
    laptop or external, but I am not positive on that. The only external
    drive I have is in my MP3 player (20GB), but I don't want to mess up the
    MP3 player by using it this way :)

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    Cari (MS-MVP) wrote:
    > Can't test out that theory, don't have any external drives! Plenty of
    > network drives, but nothing external. Never had the need (so far), there's
    > always an IDE Controller spare somewhere on my network. At least there's
    > now just one (on the Server).

    Hi Nathan, Cari and Peter,

    Thank you for posting and the discussion on the external USB device issue.

    I have tested the below scenario:

    Operating System: Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2 installed
    Device: An IDE-to-USB2.0 Box, which connecting to an 20 GB hard disk. The
    disk was partitioned as Dynamic disk.

    I pluged the USB cord to the USB port and the external hard disk can be
    recognized and used without any problem.

    Personally think that this issue might be related to the chipset on the USB
    storage device. It is not compatible, which might cause some issues.

    Have a nice day!

    Thanks & Regards,

    Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    --------------------
    | Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 01:19:31 -0700
    | From: Nathan McNulty <nospam@msn.com>
    | Subject: Re: USB drive plugged in and system slows down?!
    | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
    |
    | I believe the limitation for dynamic disks is that it can't be in a
    | laptop or external, but I am not positive on that. The only external
    | drive I have is in my MP3 player (20GB), but I don't want to mess up the
    | MP3 player by using it this way :)
    |
    | ----
    | Nathan McNulty
    |

    | Cari (MS-MVP) wrote:
    | > Can't test out that theory, don't have any external drives! Plenty of
    | > network drives, but nothing external. Never had the need (so far),
    there's
    | > always an IDE Controller spare somewhere on my network. At least
    there's
    | > now just one (on the Server).

    Thanks for the test Feng. I know my laptop will not allow me to use
    dynamic disks in it, but that is good to hear you can use dynamic disks
    in external drives. This should force you to import the drive on all
    other systems other than its original system though.

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    Feng Mao wrote:
    > Hi Nathan, Cari and Peter,
    >
    > Thank you for posting and the discussion on the external USB device issue.
    >
    > I have tested the below scenario:
    >
    > Operating System: Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2 installed
    > Device: An IDE-to-USB2.0 Box, which connecting to an 20 GB hard disk. The
    > disk was partitioned as Dynamic disk.
    >
    > I pluged the USB cord to the USB port and the external hard disk can be
    > recognized and used without any problem.
    >
    > Personally think that this issue might be related to the chipset on the USB
    > storage device. It is not compatible, which might cause some issues.
    >
    > Have a nice day!
    >
    > Thanks & Regards,
    >
    > Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
    > Microsoft Online Partner Support

    > --------------------
    > | Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 01:19:31 -0700
    > | From: Nathan McNulty <nospam@msn.com>
    > | Subject: Re: USB drive plugged in and system slows down?!
    > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
    > |
    > | I believe the limitation for dynamic disks is that it can't be in a
    > | laptop or external, but I am not positive on that. The only external
    > | drive I have is in my MP3 player (20GB), but I don't want to mess up the
    > | MP3 player by using it this way :)
    > |
    > | ----
    > | Nathan McNulty
    > |

    > | Cari (MS-MVP) wrote:
    > | > Can't test out that theory, don't have any external drives! Plenty of
    > | > network drives, but nothing external. Never had the need (so far),
    > there's
    > | > always an IDE Controller spare somewhere on my network. At least
    > there's
    > | > now just one (on the Server).

    Hi Nathan,

    I have tried IDE-to-USB2.0 box and the USB disk. When I uses IDE-to-USB2.0
    box, the hard disk will be recognized as a Hard Disk Drive (Local Disk). If
    I use the USB disk, it will be recognized as a Devices with Removable
    Storage (Removable Disk). In my opinion, this is determined by the chipset
    in the box or the USB disk. Although, Windows XP can recognize lots of
    Removable Storage devices like USB disk. It is possible, some type of disk
    still needs the driver from its manufacture.

    Have a nice day!

    Thanks & Regards,

    Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    --------------------
    | Date: Sun, 05 Sep 2004 23:47:33 -0700
    | From: Nathan McNulty <nospam@msn.com>
    | Subject: Re: USB drive plugged in and system slows down?!
    | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
    |
    | Thanks for the test Feng. I know my laptop will not allow me to use
    | dynamic disks in it, but that is good to hear you can use dynamic disks
    | in external drives. This should force you to import the drive on all
    | other systems other than its original system though.
    |
    | ----
    | Nathan McNulty
    |

    | Feng Mao wrote:
    | > Hi Nathan, Cari and Peter,
    | >
    | > Thank you for posting and the discussion on the external USB device
    issue.

    | > I have tested the below scenario:
    | >
    | > Operating System: Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2 installed
    | > Device: An IDE-to-USB2.0 Box, which connecting to an 20 GB hard disk.
    The
    | > disk was partitioned as Dynamic disk.
    | >
    | > I pluged the USB cord to the USB port and the external hard disk can be
    | > recognized and used without any problem.
    | >
    | > Personally think that this issue might be related to the chipset on the
    USB
    | > storage device. It is not compatible, which might cause some issues.
    | >
    | > Have a nice day!
    | >
    | > Thanks & Regards,
    | >
    | > Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
    | > Microsoft Online Partner Support

    | > =====================================================
    | > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
    so
    | > =====================================================
    rights.
    | > --------------------
    | > | Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 01:19:31 -0700
    | > | From: Nathan McNulty <nospam@msn.com>
    | > | Subject: Re: USB drive plugged in and system slows down?!
    | > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
    | > phx.gbl
    | > |
    | > | I believe the limitation for dynamic disks is that it can't be in a
    | > | laptop or external, but I am not positive on that. The only external
    | > | drive I have is in my MP3 player (20GB), but I don't want to mess up
    the
    | > | MP3 player by using it this way :)
    | > |
    | > | ----