Upgrade tp SATA from IDE on P4P800SE

I have bought a Hitachi SATA drive and want to replaced my WD IDE. Do
I need drivers for the SATA drive or will the BIOS see it correctly?

Any recomendations for cloning software that can see SATA?
5 answers Last reply
More about upgrade sata p4p800se

    The bios will see it, but will the o/s see it?

    "Oliver Costich" <olc-caNOSPAM@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > I have bought a Hitachi SATA drive and want to replaced my WD IDE. Do
    > I need drivers for the SATA drive or will the BIOS see it correctly?
    >
    > Any recomendations for cloning software that can see SATA?

    Allright .... obviously; assuming you don't plan to unplug the IDE and plug
    the SATA on the same connector.

    I don't understand why you will remove the old IDE - if works yet - because
    you can keep it as auxiliary storage HD.

    I understand the new SATA would perform better and so, it would be
    convenient to reinstall the OS on it to take advantage of this speed.
    You can define on BIOS the boot sequence to be the SATA HD on there and
    remove the IDE HD from the sequence.
    In case IDE HD bothers you withing the installation, just unplug the power
    from the HD and reconnet again when the new HD is working.
    The OS won't recognize the new SATA unless is partitioned and formated. I
    recommend to use any partitioning tool like Partition Magic to work the SATA
    HD from the floppy before to deal with the OS.

    About the drivers, you can check before any change, that you have the
    drivers working on SYSTEM/Device administrator/SCSI and RAID controllers.
    The SATA controller you have, should appear hanging within these devices.

    On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 10:50:36 +0200, "Zeneca" <Zeneca@euskaltel.es>
    wrote:

    >Allright .... obviously; assuming you don't plan to unplug the IDE and plug
    >the SATA on the same connector.
    >
    >I don't understand why you will remove the old IDE - if works yet - because
    >you can keep it as auxiliary storage HD.

    Because it's 80GBand the new one is 250GB and I have another system
    that needs a hard drive. (It's for my kids.)

    >I understand the new SATA would perform better and so, it would be
    >convenient to reinstall the OS on it to take advantage of this speed.
    >You can define on BIOS the boot sequence to be the SATA HD on there and
    >remove the IDE HD from the sequence.

    >In case IDE HD bothers you withing the installation, just unplug the power
    >from the HD and reconnet again when the new HD is working.
    >The OS won't recognize the new SATA unless is partitioned and formated. I
    >recommend to use any partitioning tool like Partition Magic to work the SATA
    >HD from the floppy before to deal with the OS.

    What about cloning? Any suggestions?

    On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 07:53:22 GMT, "MrGrumpy" <dl@spoofmail.notme>
    wrote:

    >The bios will see it, but will the o/s see it?

    It's XP Pro so if any OS will, that shpuld. Any suggestions about
    cloning?

    > On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 07:53:22 GMT, "MrGrumpy" <dl@spoofmail.notme>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>The bios will see it, but will the o/s see it?
    >
    > It's XP Pro so if any OS will, that shpuld. Any suggestions about
    > cloning?
    XP, needs to be SP1 or latter to handle drives this size. If the install
    CD, does not have SP1 on it, the service pack needs to be 'slipstreamed'
    into the disk, for it to work for an install. It was astonishing that an
    OS published when XP was, didn't at least have this in place, but that is
    Microsoft for you...

    Best Wishes

    >>"Oliver Costich" <olc-caNOSPAM@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >>> I have bought a Hitachi SATA drive and want to replaced my WD IDE. Do
    >>> I need drivers for the SATA drive or will the BIOS see it correctly?
    >>>
    >>> Any recomendations for cloning software that can see SATA?

Asus SATA Motherboards