A7V880

Hi guys,

I have a number of problems:

1. It detects my AthlonXP 2400+ (2000mhz) as an 1800+ (1500mhz). The
reason is that it picks up the FSB as 100mhz instead of 133. If I set it
to 133 in the BIOS, it works, but every couple of boots it tells me that
"Overclocking failed" and reverts back to 100mhz.

2. Enabling dual channel mode for the memory seems to perform worse than
single channel. I'm not talking benchmarks, but real word performance.
Worse still, setting the memory clock to 266 gives me better performance
than either 333 or 400mhz. Is this normal?

3. Graphics card: I have tried six different graphics cards, from an old
Gainward TNT2, a couple of different GeForce cards, and two Radeons - one
an old 7500, one a brand new 9250. All give me the same problem: The work
OK with the generic OS drivers, but as soon as you load the manufacturer
drivers (or the latest from their respective websites), I get either screen
corruption (a bit like the old VGA screens used to do if you put them in a
too high resolution) or just blank screen - like in DPMS mode.

I use both linux and windows, and I get the same problems on either side
with various different versions of the OS, drivers, ect.

Any ideas?
--

abc

"Koffiejunkie" <hdp@webmail.co.za> wrote in message
> Hi guys,
>
> I have a number of problems:
>
> 1. It detects my AthlonXP 2400+ (2000mhz) as an 1800+ (1500mhz). The
> reason is that it picks up the FSB as 100mhz instead of 133. If I set it
> to 133 in the BIOS, it works, but every couple of boots it tells me that
> "Overclocking failed" and reverts back to 100mhz.
>
> 2. Enabling dual channel mode for the memory seems to perform worse than
> single channel. I'm not talking benchmarks, but real word performance.
> Worse still, setting the memory clock to 266 gives me better performance
> than either 333 or 400mhz. Is this normal?
>
> 3. Graphics card: I have tried six different graphics cards, from an old
> Gainward TNT2, a couple of different GeForce cards, and two Radeons - one
> an old 7500, one a brand new 9250. All give me the same problem: The
> work
> OK with the generic OS drivers, but as soon as you load the manufacturer
> drivers (or the latest from their respective websites), I get either
> screen
> corruption (a bit like the old VGA screens used to do if you put them in a
> too high resolution) or just blank screen - like in DPMS mode.
>
> I use both linux and windows, and I get the same problems on either side
> with various different versions of the OS, drivers, ect.
>
> Any ideas?
> --

Have you tried a different BIOS?

I am using the same board with a an Athlon XP 2500, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro and
had no problems with setup. I left Dual Channel mode to automatic (it
defaults to single mode anyway if the memory is in compatible)

Either your board is damaged, or maybe your PSU is acting up?

The only problem really have is with the way Soundmax works - you must
reboot to change the speaker configuration from headphones to 5.1 (grrr!),
and occasionally when I go to shutdown the PC it will reboot instead, and I
have to force a shutdown via the switch. I tried the remedies suggested
(made sure lan won't wake up the PC, and unchecked the Automatically Restart
box in the startup and recovery section of System Properties).

Apart from that I can't complain.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

abc wrote:
> Have you tried a different BIOS?
Sorry, I neglected to mention, I've tried every version that I could
download, including the beta. 1009 I think is supposed to fix the CPU
detection problem, but it doesn't.

> I am using the same board with a an Athlon XP 2500, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
> and had no problems with setup. I left Dual Channel mode to automatic (it
> defaults to single mode anyway if the memory is in compatible)
On Auto it selects dual channel, and as I said, I swopped out the board with
another one from another manufacturer, and all my other components check
out fine.

> Either your board is damaged, or maybe your PSU is acting up?
PSU is fine - tested in another, far more power hungry box.

> The only problem really have is with the way Soundmax works
I have an SB Live, thank goodness.

> Restart box in the startup and recovery section of System Properties).
Like I said, I'm getting the issues across multiple platforms, and when I
swop out the board, everything works like it should, so the board is
definitely at fault.

Searching in Google I find a lot of posts from people with similar problems,
but no real solutions.

Thanks for the reply...

Koffiejunkie wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I have a number of problems:
>
> 1. It detects my AthlonXP 2400+ (2000mhz) as an 1800+ (1500mhz). The
> reason is that it picks up the FSB as 100mhz instead of 133. If I set it
> to 133 in the BIOS, it works, but every couple of boots it tells me that
> "Overclocking failed" and reverts back to 100mhz.

==> this is regular problem with all Asus bios'es av7880
setup goes only on manual way with Amd-XP.. sorry.

I had this board and on the end was faulty ,, so I returned it.
Make the check, if from theBios you can enable maximum speed for your
CPU fan ,
/ disable -Q-fan/ ...so you can reach 4500-5000 rpm ALL THE TIME ,,
,,,, if not, board has problem

> 2. Enabling dual channel mode for the memory seems to perform worse than
> single channel. I'm not talking benchmarks, but real word performance.
> Worse still, setting the memory clock to 266 gives me better performance
> than either 333 or 400mhz. Is this normal?

board is very sensitive for memory brand

> 3. Graphics card: I have tried six different graphics cards, from an old
> Gainward TNT2, a couple of different GeForce cards, and two Radeons - one
> an old 7500, one a brand new 9250. All give me the same problem: The work
> OK with the generic OS drivers, but as soon as you load the manufacturer
> drivers (or the latest from their respective websites), I get either screen
> corruption (a bit like the old VGA screens used to do if you put them in a
> too high resolution) or just blank screen - like in DPMS mode.
>
> I use both linux and windows, and I get the same problems on either side
> with various different versions of the OS, drivers, ect.
>
> Any ideas?

go to the store ,, and exchange for new one ,,
don't waste time for experiments