Mainboard Replacement

Is there a how-to re: replacing the motherboard on a Win
XP system? Specifically, changing the mainboard to a
different type. I did this on a system and windows blue-
screened out and wouldn't load after the new mainboard
was installed.

Al

Unless your new motherboard is similar to the old one, you will have to do a
repair-install. It will keep all your programs/settings intact but will
require reinstalling Microsoft updates. If you have SP2 handy, no problems.
Al

"T Hayes" <f1_inc@msn.com> wrote in message
> Is there a how-to re: replacing the motherboard on a Win
> XP system? Specifically, changing the mainboard to a
> different type. I did this on a system and windows blue-
> screened out and wouldn't load after the new mainboard
> was installed.

An additional note to Al's correct reply. After doing the
repair/install, you may have to reactivate. I've changed out three MB's
via the repair/install route without having to do a clean install and
only once did I have to reactivate over the 'phone. Otherwise the whole
process was painless except for the barked knuckles getting the boards
out and in.

Go for it.

"Al" <al@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Unless your new motherboard is similar to the old one, you will have
> to do a repair-install. It will keep all your programs/settings
> intact but will require reinstalling Microsoft updates. If you have
> SP2 handy, no problems.
> Al
>
> "T Hayes" <f1_inc@msn.com> wrote in message
>> Is there a how-to re: replacing the motherboard on a Win
>> XP system? Specifically, changing the mainboard to a
>> different type. I did this on a system and windows blue-
>> screened out and wouldn't load after the new mainboard
>> was installed.

SERVO

T Hayes wrote:
> Is there a how-to re: replacing the motherboard on a Win
> XP system? Specifically, changing the mainboard to a
> different type. I did this on a system and windows blue-
> screened out and wouldn't load after the new mainboard
> was installed.
If you replace the mobo you must do a clean install of Window$

--
Servo
"You gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?"

Usually incorrect.
A Repair Installation is usually all that is required after a
motherboard replacement.
If a Clean Installation is required, something else was probably wrong
to begin with.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

"Servo" <tservo100@netscape.net> wrote in message news:WsmZc.10250
> If you replace the mobo you must do a clean install of Window$
>
> --
> Servo
> "You gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?"
> tservo100 at
> ameritech dot net
> Slow, fiery death to all spammers!!!

Greetings --

Normally, and assuming a retail license (many OEM installations
and licenses are not transferable to a new motherboard - check yours
_before_ starting), unless the new motherboard is virtually identical
(same chipset, same IDE controllers, same BIOS version, etc.) to the
one on which the WinXP installation was originally performed, you'll
need to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation, at
the very least:

important data before starting.

This will also require re-activation, unless you have a Volume
Licensed version of WinXP Pro installed. If it's been more than 120
days since you last activated that specific Product Key, you'll most
likely be able to activate via the internet without problem. If it's
been less, you might have to make a 5 minute phone call.

Bruce Chambers
--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. - RAH

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 08:53:27 -0700, "T Hayes" <f1_inc@msn.com> wrote:

>Is there a how-to re: replacing the motherboard on a Win
>XP system? Specifically, changing the mainboard to a
>different type. I did this on a system and windows blue-
>screened out and wouldn't load after the new mainboard
>was installed.

If you replaced your car's engine with a radically different one, but
hooked it up to the old Engine Control Computer, do you think your car
would run, let along start?

You need to be at least a repair install of XP, if not a full install.