P4P800E Onboard Audio Question

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
June 2, 2005 10:01:36 AM

I have a P4P800E-Deluxe and a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card.
In trying to run down some problems as to why the Max Payne game is
not working on this set up, I have reformatted the drive and tried out
the onboard audio. I didn't do any extensive testing but it seemed to
me that the audio quality was better on the motherboard than with the
Turtle Beach card. I bought the Turtle Beach card because it has DSP
which is supposed to take away some of the processing from the CPU. So
my question is, how much of a performance hit am I going to take by
using the onboard sound rather than the Turtle Beach card. I have a
ATI X800XT AIW video card and want to play games. Any reviews showing
the difference in CPU utilization between the onboard audio and a
sound card?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 2, 2005 5:55:24 PM

Also found that when using onboard sound and drivers, the volume of
recorded TV shows is the same as regular TV. This is true even of
shows I recorded using the Turtle Beach sound board and drivers. I
thought the low sound on recordings was a recording problem but it
looks like it is a playback problem. With the Turtle Beach I always
have to turn up the volume to listen to recorded shows but with the
onboard audio I don't.

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 06:01:36 -0700, Lowel <Me2@privacy.net> wrote:

>I have a P4P800E-Deluxe and a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card.
>In trying to run down some problems as to why the Max Payne game is
>not working on this set up, I have reformatted the drive and tried out
>the onboard audio. I didn't do any extensive testing but it seemed to
>me that the audio quality was better on the motherboard than with the
>Turtle Beach card. I bought the Turtle Beach card because it has DSP
>which is supposed to take away some of the processing from the CPU. So
>my question is, how much of a performance hit am I going to take by
>using the onboard sound rather than the Turtle Beach card. I have a
>ATI X800XT AIW video card and want to play games. Any reviews showing
>the difference in CPU utilization between the onboard audio and a
>sound card?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 2, 2005 8:25:03 PM

Using the onboard sound during graphics intensive games you will find that
the sound will sometimes stutter while the CPU conflicts with the sound chip
for process time.

--
DaveW

"Lowel" <Me2@privacy.net> wrote in message
>I have a P4P800E-Deluxe and a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card.
> In trying to run down some problems as to why the Max Payne game is
> not working on this set up, I have reformatted the drive and tried out
> the onboard audio. I didn't do any extensive testing but it seemed to
> me that the audio quality was better on the motherboard than with the
> Turtle Beach card. I bought the Turtle Beach card because it has DSP
> which is supposed to take away some of the processing from the CPU. So
> my question is, how much of a performance hit am I going to take by
> using the onboard sound rather than the Turtle Beach card. I have a
> ATI X800XT AIW video card and want to play games. Any reviews showing
> the difference in CPU utilization between the onboard audio and a
> sound card?
a b V Motherboard
June 3, 2005 5:02:25 AM

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 16:25:03 -0700, "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote:

>Using the onboard sound during graphics intensive games you will find that
>the sound will sometimes stutter while the CPU conflicts with the sound chip
>for process time.

Thanks Dave. I am getting ready to install a bigger hard drive, format
it, and install everything fresh and wanted to make the right choice
as to which way to go. I will use the sound card.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 3, 2005 11:40:14 AM

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 06:01:36 -0700, Lowel <Me2@privacy.net> wrote:

>I have a P4P800E-Deluxe and a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card.
>In trying to run down some problems as to why the Max Payne game is
>not working on this set up, I have reformatted the drive and tried out
>the onboard audio. I didn't do any extensive testing but it seemed to
>me that the audio quality was better on the motherboard than with the
>Turtle Beach card. I bought the Turtle Beach card because it has DSP
>which is supposed to take away some of the processing from the CPU. So
>my question is, how much of a performance hit am I going to take by
>using the onboard sound rather than the Turtle Beach card. I have a
>ATI X800XT AIW video card and want to play games. Any reviews showing
>the difference in CPU utilization between the onboard audio and a
>sound card?

Hi,
for me is the exaxt opposite, I don't know if Turtle Beach is a low
quality sound card, but after I excluded onboard audio on P4P800 E Dlx
and installed a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS, it's all another audio. No
quality comparison at all with the onboard chip!!
Maurizio
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 3, 2005 11:40:15 AM

On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 07:40:14 GMT, OMaurizio <omaurizio@libero.it>
wrote:

>Hi,
>for me is the exaxt opposite, I don't know if Turtle Beach is a low
>quality sound card, but after I excluded onboard audio on P4P800 E Dlx
>and installed a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS, it's all another audio. No
>quality comparison at all with the onboard chip!!

I was going to do more intense testing today and see if I can tell the
difference. Unfortunately I can't be listening to both at the same
time with the same sounds or music playing to really hear the
difference.
!