P4P800E Onboard Audio Question

I have a P4P800E-Deluxe and a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card.
In trying to run down some problems as to why the Max Payne game is
not working on this set up, I have reformatted the drive and tried out
the onboard audio. I didn't do any extensive testing but it seemed to
me that the audio quality was better on the motherboard than with the
Turtle Beach card. I bought the Turtle Beach card because it has DSP
which is supposed to take away some of the processing from the CPU. So
my question is, how much of a performance hit am I going to take by
using the onboard sound rather than the Turtle Beach card. I have a
ATI X800XT AIW video card and want to play games. Any reviews showing
the difference in CPU utilization between the onboard audio and a
sound card?
5 answers Last reply
More about p4p800e onboard audio question

    Also found that when using onboard sound and drivers, the volume of
    recorded TV shows is the same as regular TV. This is true even of
    shows I recorded using the Turtle Beach sound board and drivers. I
    thought the low sound on recordings was a recording problem but it
    looks like it is a playback problem. With the Turtle Beach I always
    have to turn up the volume to listen to recorded shows but with the
    onboard audio I don't.

    On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 06:01:36 -0700, Lowel <Me2@privacy.net> wrote:

    >I have a P4P800E-Deluxe and a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card.
    >In trying to run down some problems as to why the Max Payne game is
    >not working on this set up, I have reformatted the drive and tried out
    >the onboard audio. I didn't do any extensive testing but it seemed to
    >me that the audio quality was better on the motherboard than with the
    >Turtle Beach card. I bought the Turtle Beach card because it has DSP
    >which is supposed to take away some of the processing from the CPU. So
    >my question is, how much of a performance hit am I going to take by
    >using the onboard sound rather than the Turtle Beach card. I have a
    >ATI X800XT AIW video card and want to play games. Any reviews showing
    >the difference in CPU utilization between the onboard audio and a
    >sound card?

    Using the onboard sound during graphics intensive games you will find that
    the sound will sometimes stutter while the CPU conflicts with the sound chip
    for process time.

    --
    DaveW

    On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 16:25:03 -0700, "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote:

    >Using the onboard sound during graphics intensive games you will find that
    >the sound will sometimes stutter while the CPU conflicts with the sound chip
    >for process time.

    Thanks Dave. I am getting ready to install a bigger hard drive, format
    it, and install everything fresh and wanted to make the right choice
    as to which way to go. I will use the sound card.

    On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 06:01:36 -0700, Lowel <Me2@privacy.net> wrote:

    >I have a P4P800E-Deluxe and a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card.
    >In trying to run down some problems as to why the Max Payne game is
    >not working on this set up, I have reformatted the drive and tried out
    >the onboard audio. I didn't do any extensive testing but it seemed to
    >me that the audio quality was better on the motherboard than with the
    >Turtle Beach card. I bought the Turtle Beach card because it has DSP
    >which is supposed to take away some of the processing from the CPU. So
    >my question is, how much of a performance hit am I going to take by
    >using the onboard sound rather than the Turtle Beach card. I have a
    >ATI X800XT AIW video card and want to play games. Any reviews showing
    >the difference in CPU utilization between the onboard audio and a
    >sound card?

    Hi,
    for me is the exaxt opposite, I don't know if Turtle Beach is a low
    quality sound card, but after I excluded onboard audio on P4P800 E Dlx
    and installed a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS, it's all another audio. No
    quality comparison at all with the onboard chip!!
    Maurizio

    On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 07:40:14 GMT, OMaurizio <omaurizio@libero.it>
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >for me is the exaxt opposite, I don't know if Turtle Beach is a low
    >quality sound card, but after I excluded onboard audio on P4P800 E Dlx
    >and installed a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS, it's all another audio. No
    >quality comparison at all with the onboard chip!!

    I was going to do more intense testing today and see if I can tell the
    difference. Unfortunately I can't be listening to both at the same
    time with the same sounds or music playing to really hear the
    difference.

Asus Audio Sound Cards Motherboards