Hi,

I'm trying to use a USB-to-Serial converter on a laptop
running XP Prof. The converter works fine but it appears
as COM port 18, or a high number like this.

I've tried setting it to a lower COM port number but my
machine states that they are all in use. I can't
understand why the other COM ports are declared in use
when there is only a touchpad (Mouse?) and Modem which
can possibly have a COM port assigned.

I've read the knowledge base which implies that there was
a problem with COM ports being released properly in
Win2K, is this the same problem now with XP or am I
missing something?

Has anyone else experienced this too?

Thanks for any help which can be given.

Al.

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 09:40:53 -0700, "A Grant"
<alanjgrant@Anti-SPAMhotmail.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm trying to use a USB-to-Serial converter on a laptop
>running XP Prof. The converter works fine but it appears
>as COM port 18, or a high number like this.
>
>I've tried setting it to a lower COM port number but my
>machine states that they are all in use. I can't
>understand why the other COM ports are declared in use
>when there is only a touchpad (Mouse?) and Modem which
>can possibly have a COM port assigned.
>
>I've read the knowledge base which implies that there was
>a problem with COM ports being released properly in
>Win2K, is this the same problem now with XP or am I
>missing something?
>
>Has anyone else experienced this too?
>
>Thanks for any help which can be given.

Try ignoring the "in use" message for the port you want to use
and you know isn't being used. I've done this and it seems to
work in my setup.