Unplugging phone line

We have a new computer that runs Windows XP. Any time we
want to connect to the internet (we have dial up service)
we have to unplug the phone line from the back of the
computer, wait twenty seconds, then plug the line back in
and it works. This happens whether it is the first
connection of the day, or if the connection is dropped and
you have to reconnect. Does anyone have any suggestions?

"Kristi" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We have a new computer that runs Windows XP. Any time we
> want to connect to the internet (we have dial up service)
> we have to unplug the phone line from the back of the
> computer, wait twenty seconds, then plug the line back in
> and it works. This happens whether it is the first
> connection of the day, or if the connection is dropped and
> you have to reconnect. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Sounds like the modem is having problems detecting and/or releasing the
line. The good news is that modems are cheap. You best bet might be to
replace it.