Researchers Succeed in Decoupling Qubits From Environment

Status
Not open for further replies.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
Great, now let's solve the problem of being unable to actually entangle any useful number of qubits for any useful length of time. A world record of eight entangled particles is a few orders of magnitude away from having any kind of practical application.

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
"Researchers at Ames Laboratory's team claim to have found a way to significantly reduce the environmental impact on qubits to avoid that stored quantum information is being lost lost."

Wow, just...wow...

Not even the fact that I've seen so many mistakes in articles that my eyes just auto-correct most of them saved me from this article. I often miss the mistakes because I'm so used to them, but this is just too much...

Come on Tom's, you're better than this!

Otherwise, it's an interesting article to read. Quantum computing may have gotten another huge step down the road. Of course, even if they get it working, we probably won't see anything come of it in the consumer markets until current technologies have been bled dry and scaled as far as they will go, but's it's still fun to read into these things.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]atmos929[/nom]"narrow window of opportunity" does not sound very robust to me[/citation]
Actually, it is a good thing that the opportunity is narrow as long as they can consistently take advantage of it. You don't want lots of random environmental events decoupling your qubits, my good fellow. You want to know exactly when and how it can be decoupled and then it is locked in place. Think of a bank vault which has a very narrow opportunity to be opened - only when the exact conditions are met. This makes for a robust bank vault and is a good thing.

shqtth

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
[citation][nom]headscratcher[/nom]I thought this was going to be about that scam auction site.[/citation]
Yes I know what you mean

Status
Not open for further replies.