Can anyone advise how to connect a parallel scanner to a
PC upgraded from Windows 98 to XP?

XP does not seem to recognise the devise connected direct
on the parallel port

Despite updating TWAIN and MIRASCAN drivers for XP
--> still nothing!

You do not tell us the make and model of the scanner so we cannot tell you
whether it is compatible or not but I can tell you that WindowsXP will NOT
let you 'piggy-back' parallel devices the way you did in Windows9x so if you
have a parallel port printer, you can keep one or the other, but not both.

You need to look at the manufacturer's website to find out whether you make
and model is compatible.
www.coribright.com

"SERIS" <serisl@aol.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone advise how to connect a parallel scanner to a
> PC upgraded from Windows 98 to XP?
>
> XP does not seem to recognise the devise connected direct
> on the parallel port
>
> Despite updating TWAIN and MIRASCAN drivers for XP
> --> still nothing!

Your scanner might not be compatible with XP even though it was with Win 98.
Check the manufacturer's web page for info and an XP driver.

"SERIS" <serisl@aol.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone advise how to connect a parallel scanner to a
> PC upgraded from Windows 98 to XP?
>
> XP does not seem to recognise the devise connected direct
> on the parallel port
>
> Despite updating TWAIN and MIRASCAN drivers for XP
> --> still nothing!

fred

Cari,

This is slightly off topic but I have an Iomega Zip 100, parallel port with pass
thru for a printer. I've had it for years now and it connected together with my
HP DeskJet 970cse inkjet printer in parallel mode. Each works just fine, as they
did using W98, WinME, and now under XP Home.

It's not a scanner but parallel devices certainly work with WinXP.

Fred

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> You do not tell us the make and model of the scanner so we cannot tell you
> whether it is compatible or not but I can tell you that WindowsXP will NOT
> let you 'piggy-back' parallel devices the way you did in Windows9x so if you
> have a parallel port printer, you can keep one or the other, but not both.
>
> You need to look at the manufacturer's website to find out whether you make
> and model is compatible.
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
> www.coribright.com
>
> "SERIS" <serisl@aol.com> wrote in message
> > Can anyone advise how to connect a parallel scanner to a
> > PC upgraded from Windows 98 to XP?
> >
> > XP does not seem to recognise the devise connected direct
> > on the parallel port
> >
> > Despite updating TWAIN and MIRASCAN drivers for XP
> > --> still nothing!

What is the make and model of the scanner?

"SERIS" <serisl@aol.com> wrote:

>Can anyone advise how to connect a parallel scanner to a
>PC upgraded from Windows 98 to XP?
>
>XP does not seem to recognise the devise connected direct
>on the parallel port
>
>Despite updating TWAIN and MIRASCAN drivers for XP
>--> still nothing!

Check with the scanner manufacturer's web site for an updated Windows
XP driver. Your mention of MIRASCAN indicates that it may be an Acer
scanner. I have an Acer 610P parallel port scanner and it works just
fine with the latest Windows XP drivers from
http://www.benq.com/drivers/imaging_drivers.html (BenQ is the new
brand name being used for former Acer brand peripherals and
accessories).

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 19:21:33 -0400, Fred@anonymous.com wrote:

You got extremely lucky. XP is very picky about pass-through
parrallel ports; a huge majority of the time it won't allow them to
work.