P4P800 Deluxe MB stuck at screen cannot get into DEL

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.asus,alt.comp.pheriphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

I checked on the desktop the CMOS battery,took it out and found voltage OK.
Re-inserted it and turned on computer, Intel Pentium 4, 2.8 GHZ, Windowsxp
Pro.

It comes up immediately with the Ai series "head", P4p800 ASUS MB and "press
Delete to run setup".

Except. I have tried it many times and it will not go into DEL. I basically
have the P4P800 screen and not even a POST.

What can I do?

This is what I would try, in order of listing:
disconnect everything, hdd, cdrom and all cards except video. Maybe
put in a boot floppy and then see what happens...
Maybe try the memory in another system or try another memory if it
still fails to boot...
Try another psu...
If all fails, I'de say your board is toast...
If it boots, it's a piece of hardware, probably hdd, but put in one
piece at a time to pin-piont it...
gl

On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 20:34:56 -0400, "Ritter197" <Ritter197@comcast.net>
wrote:

>I checked on the desktop the CMOS battery,took it out and found voltage OK.
>Re-inserted it and turned on computer, Intel Pentium 4, 2.8 GHZ, Windowsxp
>Pro.
>
>It comes up immediately with the Ai series "head", P4p800 ASUS MB and "press
>Delete to run setup".
>
>Except. I have tried it many times and it will not go into DEL. I basically
>have the P4P800 screen and not even a POST.
>
>What can I do?

MASSA

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2004

"Ritter197" <Ritter197@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I checked on the desktop the CMOS battery,took it out and found voltage OK.
>Re-inserted it and turned on computer, Intel Pentium 4, 2.8 GHZ, Windowsxp
>Pro.
>
> It comes up immediately with the Ai series "head", P4p800 ASUS MB and
> "press Delete to run setup".
>
> Except. I have tried it many times and it will not go into DEL. I
> basically have the P4P800 screen and not even a POST.
>
> What can I do?

Just guessing...
Are you using a USB keyboard? By removing the battery the BIOS has
probbably reset to default values and legacy USB is not supported. You will
need a PS/2 keyboard to enter setup

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.asus,alt.comp.pheriphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

Yes, I am using a Logitech wireless KB, have checked and inputted new
batteries though and set Connect on KB, Mouse and Receiver.
I am getting this am beyond the "Ai face or head" and am now stuck at the
beginning where it says Entering Setup but it is stuck at checking NVRAM,
just stays there.

"massa" <massa0606REMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Ritter197" <Ritter197@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>I checked on the desktop the CMOS battery,took it out and found voltage
>>OK. Re-inserted it and turned on computer, Intel Pentium 4, 2.8 GHZ,
>>Windowsxp Pro.
>>
>> It comes up immediately with the Ai series "head", P4p800 ASUS MB and
>> "press Delete to run setup".
>>
>> Except. I have tried it many times and it will not go into DEL. I
>> basically have the P4P800 screen and not even a POST.
>>
>> What can I do?
>
> Just guessing...
> Are you using a USB keyboard? By removing the battery the BIOS has
> probbably reset to default values and legacy USB is not supported. You
> will need a PS/2 keyboard to enter setup

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.asus,alt.comp.pheriphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

With an old bios i've got the same problem long ago.

It was the fan monitor. Because one fan was not connected or spinned to low.

Disconnect or connect some fans and the flash the new bios.

"Ritter197" <Ritter197@comcast.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Yes, I am using a Logitech wireless KB, have checked and inputted new
> batteries though and set Connect on KB, Mouse and Receiver.
> I am getting this am beyond the "Ai face or head" and am now stuck at the
> beginning where it says Entering Setup but it is stuck at checking NVRAM,
> just stays there.
>
> "massa" <massa0606REMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Ritter197" <Ritter197@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>>I checked on the desktop the CMOS battery,took it out and found voltage
>>>OK. Re-inserted it and turned on computer, Intel Pentium 4, 2.8 GHZ,
>>>Windowsxp Pro.
>>>
>>> It comes up immediately with the Ai series "head", P4p800 ASUS MB and
>>> "press Delete to run setup".
>>>
>>> Except. I have tried it many times and it will not go into DEL. I
>>> basically have the P4P800 screen and not even a POST.
>>>
>>> What can I do?
>>
>> Just guessing...
>> Are you using a USB keyboard? By removing the battery the BIOS has
>> probbably reset to default values and legacy USB is not supported. You
>> will need a PS/2 keyboard to enter setup

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.asus,alt.comp.pheriphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

I have the computer open and both fans are running at normal speed.

"Dirk Pajonk" <nomorespam@onlinehome.de> wrote in message
> With an old bios i've got the same problem long ago.
>
> It was the fan monitor. Because one fan was not connected or spinned to
> low.
>
> Disconnect or connect some fans and the flash the new bios.
>
> "Ritter197" <Ritter197@comcast.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> Yes, I am using a Logitech wireless KB, have checked and inputted new
>> batteries though and set Connect on KB, Mouse and Receiver.
>> I am getting this am beyond the "Ai face or head" and am now stuck at the
>> beginning where it says Entering Setup but it is stuck at checking NVRAM,
>> just stays there.
>>
>> "massa" <massa0606REMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Ritter197" <Ritter197@comcast.net> wrote in message

>>> Just guessing...
>>> Are you using a USB keyboard? By removing the battery the BIOS has
>>> probbably reset to default values and legacy USB is not supported. You
>>> will need a PS/2 keyboard to enter setup

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.asus,alt.comp.pheriphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

But what about the 3rd Fan Connector?

>I have the computer open and both fans are running at normal speed.
>

> "Dirk Pajonk" <nomorespam@onlinehome.de> wrote in message
>> With an old bios i've got the same problem long ago.
>>
>> It was the fan monitor. Because one fan was not connected or spinned to
>> low.
>>
>> Disconnect or connect some fans and the flash the new bios.
>>
>> "Ritter197" <Ritter197@comcast.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>>> Yes, I am using a Logitech wireless KB, have checked and inputted new
>>> batteries though and set Connect on KB, Mouse and Receiver.
>>> I am getting this am beyond the "Ai face or head" and am now stuck at
>>> the beginning where it says Entering Setup but it is stuck at checking
>>> NVRAM, just stays there.
>>>
>>> "massa" <massa0606REMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.asus,alt.comp.pheriphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

I could not believe it. It was a USB ditribution box that caused me all that
trouble. But I found that out after I re-installed Windows XP, but without
formatting.

So, I am in business again, finally.

Thanks for all who came through with suggestions. The one that said, try
removing all and try the bare bones approach, did work.

> But what about the 3rd Fan Connector?
>
> "Ritter197" <Ritter197@comcast.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>>I have the computer open and both fans are running at normal speed.
>>

>> "Dirk Pajonk" <nomorespam@onlinehome.de> wrote in message
>>> With an old bios i've got the same problem long ago.
>>>
>>> It was the fan monitor. Because one fan was not connected or spinned to
>>> low.
>>>
>>> Disconnect or connect some fans and the flash the new bios.
>>>
>>> "Ritter197" <Ritter197@comcast.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 17:54:59 -0400, "Ritter197" <Ritter197@Comcast.net>
wrote:

>I could not believe it. It was a USB ditribution box that caused me all that
>trouble. But I found that out after I re-installed Windows XP, but without
>formatting.
>
>So, I am in business again, finally.
>
>Thanks for all who came through with suggestions. The one that said, try
>removing all and try the bare bones approach, did work.

I had (still have) the same problem with a USB external drive. My PC
won't boot beyond the post screen or go into setup with it plugged in.
Unplug it, boot etc, plug it in and all's well. Irritating, though...